Leave key fob in car?

Greetings----I have 2013 Edge Limited----I'd like to leave the key fob in the car when I go surfing, and then use my door 'keypad' code to unlock the door when I'm done----but when I go to leave the key fob in the car, the car recognizes the key is in the car and won't lock.

Suggestions?  Thanks so much.

Guest Tucker

In order to successfully lock a fob inside the vehicle you have to use the keypad. Hold down on the 9-0 and 8-7 buttons for about two seconds. Use you keyless code as normal to unlock. Any other locking method will trigger the lockout protection feature if the vehicle detects any fobs left inside. 

19 hours ago, Donny Star said:

Greetings----I have 2013 Edge Limited----I'd like to leave the key fob in the car when I go surfing, and then use my door 'keypad' code to unlock the door when I'm done----but when I go to leave the key fob in the car, the car recognizes the key is in the car and won't lock.

Suggestions?  Thanks so much.

Use the door keypad if you have it.  Press the 7-8 and the 9-0 buttons simultaneously.  The doors will lock with the fob inside. 

This may or may not work for a '13 but worth a try....It's also a good way to lock the doors and leave the engine running (run a quick errand or pick up the kids at grandma's and leave the AC or heat running).  That trick is actually best done if you've set 'police mode' via FORScan so the transmission can't be pulled out of park without the key inside the Edge.

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, I have a 13 SE and I lock my key inside all the time and use keypad to get back in........no 7-8 9-0 buttons, no nothing......just lock and walk! ??

Just noticed OP's car is Limited, mine probably works because I don't have pushbutton start??

Edited by TNEdgeOwner

51 minutes ago, TNEdgeOwner said:

Hmmmm, I have a 13 SE and I lock my key inside all the time and use keypad to get back in........no 7-8 9-0 buttons, no nothing......just lock and walk! ??

Just noticed OP's car is Limited, mine probably works because I don't have pushbutton start??

Exactly.  It’s only an issue with the Intelligent Access fobs.