Issues with brake Calipers?

Hello all forum users!

I am new here, I have owned a Ford Edge for about 2 years now & I love it. I own a 2018 Ford Edge SE,  I am just now starting to experience some slight issue that I am not sure where to go w/ this.  I got an appointment to have it checked tomorrow, they are going to charge me to look at it & it does not have 2 years in-service date & only 18,300 miles on it.

So the issue looks like to me the calipers are sticking & causing the brakes to scare the rotors, I have attached images the passenger is doing it more than the right side, please see attached images. So any advice would be much appreciated.   I feel this should be fully covered so maybe some knowledge here will point this in the right direction.

Attached are the following images,  (passenger_back.jpg & driver_back.jpg);  you will notice "passenger_back.jpg" is the passenger rear wheel rotor,  you will see it's worse than the driver rotor image attached as well.  So any advice on this would be much appreciated & I at the moment I am very unhappy w/an SUV w/ this many low mileage to have already experiencing an issue & having to pay to have it checked!  I have serviced perfectly so again very frustrated.

passenger_back.jpg

driver_back.jpg

Welcome.

The images suggest that some debris got lodged between the pads and rotor causing that scoring, very often happens to folks that frequently use dirt roads.

At 18K miles the friction material on the pads must be greater that 60%.

Brake parts have a very short warranty period and considered wear and tear items so give it more thought before taking it to the dealership and brace yourself for not getting them covered - you could send the images to the service manager and get his opinion and confirmation on the warranty cover.

JB,

It's always dicey when the brakes "scare the rotors."   I know it was a typo but just couldn't let it go. ?

Ford's warranty for brake pads is 12 months or 18,000 miles so you're well outside of that coverage. 
Rather than take your Edge to the dealership, I'd suggest a trusted independent mechanic (look for online ratings for shops near you) or maybe you haveA a friend who's a 'car guy' who'd help you pull the wheel and check your brakes for the cost of a beer or two.  At your mileage it's unlikely you've managed to wear out the brake pads.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

JB,

It's always dicey when the brakes "scare the rotors."   I know it was a typo but just couldn't let it go. ?

Ford's warranty for brake pads is 12 months or 18,000 miles so you're well outside of that coverage. 
Rather than take your Edge to the dealership, I'd suggest a trusted independent mechanic (look for online ratings for shops near you) or maybe you haveA a friend who's a 'car guy' who'd help you pull the wheel and check your brakes for the cost of a beer or two.  At your mileage it's unlikely you've managed to wear out the brake pads.

LOL, @ scare my rotors,  I better watch that huh?  haha.      Well, I took my Edge in to have it serviced & had them check the brake system & all checked out OK I am thinking they weren't concerned w/ the little scoring on the rotors, as my paperwork didn't show anything in concern w/ them.  The brake system again checked good & in working order.  & they didn't charge me anything to have that done, as I am assuming I had some other work done as well, so all good now.

So this leads me to my next question I have been doing some research & reading some forum posts, in regards to these type of rotors & I am getting that these OEM rotors are "are soft" & not as good as some aftermarket rotors, so I am planning to do some new brakes once I need pads so any suggestions on a nice set of rotors & pads that others of you had good results w/?

Centric Premium Blank Rotors & Stop Tech Z23 pads are my choice. They've saved our bacon more than once & they produce WAY Less brake dust than OEM. ~$165 + shipping from RockAuto.com for the fronts. The fins are also coated that reduce the amount of rust on the fins of the rotors if you live in an environment that gets snow/salt, these definitely reduce the amount of rust that accumulates on the rotors over time.

Here's my thread about it: 

27 minutes ago, jbowen said:

So this leads me to my next question I have been doing some research & reading some forum posts, in regards to these type of rotors & I am getting that these OEM rotors are "are soft" & not as good as some aftermarket rotors, so I am planning to do some new brakes once I need pads so any suggestions on a nice set of rotors & pads that others of you had good results w/?

That's a whole different thread.  I'd send you to the Brakes & Suspension section of this forum for answers: https://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/48-brakes-chassis-suspension/

2 hours ago, jbowen said:

I don't see problems with the OEM rotors as far as them being "soft", and it would cost you nothing to test that conspiracy by using them until they approaching minimum thickness.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am going to use them until the brakes itself is needing replacement.  Then I plan on getting new rotors & brakes at that point & get them installed.  But a question I didn't get to ask was will those scoring in those images shorten the brakes or rotors life span?

Edited by jbowen

1 hour ago, jbowen said:

Yeah, I am going to use them until the brakes itself is needing replacement.  Then I plan on getting new rotors & brakes at that point & get them installed.  But a question I didn't get to ask was will those scoring in those images shorten the brakes or rotors life span?

No reason why that bit of scoring would have a significant impact on the lifespan of the pads or rotor providing the calipers are functioning properly.

• Like 1