rattling passenger seat??

schrief

Anyone have issues with the passenger seat rattling when you drive? I don't have a passenger with me very often, so when I cruize on a semi bumpy road, the passenger seat rattles back and forth and is really anoying. I have tried adjusting it, but that didn't do much. Any ideas?

07 SEL same here. I guess I'm getting used to it because I keep forgetting to look for the cause.

seems it could really only by 3 possible areas... simplistically, a seat has about 3 attachment points that it seems could wobble.... so kind of surprised it cannot be found:

(1) the mount point at the floor for entire seat system. entire seat (seat, motors, rails, mount) is not locked down tight at floor board.

(2) the mount point of the seat at the motorized rails (which is higher up than #1) - basically that is, the seat generally attaches to some mechanized rails that slide back and fourth and up and down and that then attaches to the base that mounts to the floor (#1 above)... so the seat itself may not be attached to the motorized unit that attaches to the base and is wobbly.

(3) the seat is correctly attached to the motorized base rails (#2) and to the floor (#1) BUT the motorized rails system is not attached and sloppily mounted to the base mount (#1) so the seat can still adjust on the motorized rails, but the connection is not solid from there onto the floor base mount so wobbly.

seems 1 of those 3 attachments points must be the culprit as it would not be 'in' the seat per se as much as it is where the seat attaches that would allow it to be wobbly. this is the basic troubleshooting I would like at first to find this.

Just a suggestion - don't overlook other sources such as the passenger visor. When the passenger visor in my Fusion is loose, the noise sounds like it comes from the rear passenger seat. Even now I have to remember to check it first.

Not saying that's it but I would rule out the visor, anything loose in the door handle or pockets and the seat belt clasp.

• 1 month later...
Sometimes the most obvious sources are neglected, and in mine most of the times the rattle noise comes from the seat belt buckle hitting the side of the wall, try to cover it on foam and see if this helps.... :doh:

My rear pass seat has that problem. I pulled over and fixed it. It was driving me nuts, like the "I'll get to it" BAMR trim rattle. :banghead:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thining about bringing mine in. It is very annoying. You can look at the passenger seat and see it moving back and fourth. With that, you can hear a small rattle. I have tried to adjust the seat forward and backwards, and adjust angle of the seat. nothing helps. But i can just imagine what the dealership is going to say.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thining about bringing mine in. It is very annoying. You can look at the passenger seat and see it moving back and fourth. With that, you can hear a small rattle. I have tried to adjust the seat forward and backwards, and adjust angle of the seat. nothing helps. But i can just imagine what the dealership is going to say.

My 08 Edge that I picked up in August just started doing it (passenger seat rattle) the other day.

It is definitely the seat back and perhaps the headrest as the headrest is moving as well.

I adjusted the seat back by reclining slightly, and it stopped the rattle, but then after a passenger adjusted the seat it did it again, so I had to recline it again.

My previous vehicle before the Edge was a 2003 Explorer Sporttrac with the same issue as well.

The dealer did fix it, I believe they said that they tightened the bolts between the seat and the back and it was OK after that for about 4 years before it slightly returned. I tried to figure out where these bolts are to do it myself but could not see them without removing the upholstery which I did not feel like doing since I knew I was going to be trading it it shortly.

I am going for my first oil change on Friday, but since that is the only issue/annoyance I do not know if I will even mention it since they will probably want me to leave it for another day to have them look at it.

On the other hand, knowing how my dealer treats me they will probably give me a loaner for the day, so maybe I will have them take a look.

• 1 month later...
My 08 Edge that I picked up in August just started doing it (passenger seat rattle) the other day.

It is definitely the seat back and perhaps the headrest as the headrest is moving as well.

I adjusted the seat back by reclining slightly, and it stopped the rattle, but then after a passenger adjusted the seat it did it again, so I had to recline it again.

My previous vehicle before the Edge was a 2003 Explorer Sporttrac with the same issue as well.

The dealer did fix it, I believe they said that they tightened the bolts between the seat and the back and it was OK after that for about 4 years before it slightly returned. I tried to figure out where these bolts are to do it myself but could not see them without removing the upholstery which I did not feel like doing since I knew I was going to be trading it it shortly.

I am going for my first oil change on Friday, but since that is the only issue/annoyance I do not know if I will even mention it since they will probably want me to leave it for another day to have them look at it.

On the other hand, knowing how my dealer treats me they will probably give me a loaner for the day, so maybe I will have them take a look.

My 08 LTD also rattled. I adjusted passenger headrest and recline and the rattle seems to have gone away. I'll let you know if it returns. But so far so good for about 2 weeks.

Anyone have issues with the passenger seat rattling when you drive? I don't have a passenger with me very often, so when I cruize on a semi bumpy road, the passenger seat rattles back and forth and is really anoying. I have tried adjusting it, but that didn't do much. Any ideas?

I noticed this on my 08 SEL, all I did was lower the seat back a little bit and it stops. If it is too upright it will do it everytime, my wife likes sitting straight up. If you just move it back a few notches it will stop.

Yep, I have been dealing with it since day 1. I have around 2,000 miles on it and it's been in the shop more than I have had it. My dealer can 't fix the hard pull to the left either. I'm going out this weekend looking at BMW X3's. If I don't lose my butt on a trade in I will pull the trigger and get rid of this p.o.s. Worst vehicle by far I have ever owned!

• 1 month later...

I had my 2008 MKX in to replace lug nuts and a missing Lincoln cover. Looks like someone tampered with the tire. Hopefully it won't happen again. While in for service, I also complained about the front passenger seat belt rattling. The service guy heard the noise but doesn't know how it can be fixed, other than suggesting that I keep the seat belt hooked when there is no passenger. He said he looked online but didn't see a fix for it. I wanted to add my complaint to the list in the hopes that Ford will see our complaints and make a fix for us!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As far as I know, that rattling seat is actually a part of the vista roof. My seat "wobbles" but doesn't rattle.

I agree. I believe the rattle in my 08LTD is from the vista roof. The rattle mysteriously disappears when the roof is raised. However, I can't find what / where the roof would be making contact.

• 1 month later...

The passenger seat in my 08 MKX rattles and makes noise also. I just had to the dealer for service last week and the service manager and I took it for a ride. He noticed that the seat did wobble but we did not hear any noise. With that I attributed it to something else making the noise. Now that others are having the same problem I'm sure it is still there and will reappear at some point.