E85 ? Yes please!

Unfortunately e-anything isn't easy to come by in canada so I'm stuck at 91 octane, unless I ran it just for a track day. It's just common that non-e85 certified vehicles run out of pump or the seals in the pump end up dried out and cracked since it's not designed for it. Now maybe our pumps are rated for it and we just lack the sensor and tune, but have it in the budget just in case.

21 minutes ago, AkMan13 said:

I’m in Texas , we got 93 here but it’s up to like $2.99/gallon im some areas. E85 pumps here are down to $1.50/gallon depending where you go. 

Haha after conversion I pay about that for 91, I'd willingly pay that for 93.

19 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Haha after conversion I pay about that for 91, I'd willingly pay that for 93.

Are you tuned for it ? I didn’t feel much difference between 87(regular) 93(premium) 

until i got it tuned. It was a small but noticeable jump

also wanted to point out there’s a foul smell coming from the vents when i go WOT. I can’t identify it at all. It’s this rubber smell and I can’t locate it. I’ve checked them belts and they seem good. They don’t seem chewed up, torn up, or worn out really. When I’m idling or just under regular throttle it’s fine. Heck even when I’m 75% throttle you can barely smell it. It’s once i give it the beans that it smells pretty weird. I haven’t tried it with the ac off because i almost always run with it on. Could that be something that could cause it? 

57 minutes ago, AkMan13 said:

Are you tuned for it ? I didn’t feel much difference between 87(regular) 93(premium) 

until i got it tuned. It was a small but noticeable jump

Ford kills the horsepower when running lower octane but torque stays around the same, seen dyno charts for the 2.7L where they tested it. The rated hp claimed by ford is using 93 octane, you can use less because the computer will compensate for the knock and such, it doesn't mean that 87 is good for it. I plan on keeping this for a while so prefer to keep that to a minimum.

1 hour ago, AkMan13 said:

also wanted to point out there’s a foul smell coming from the vents when i go WOT. I can’t identify it at all. It’s this rubber smell and I can’t locate it. I’ve checked them belts and they seem good. They don’t seem chewed up, torn up, or worn out really. When I’m idling or just under regular throttle it’s fine. Heck even when I’m 75% throttle you can barely smell it. It’s once i give it the beans that it smells pretty weird. I haven’t tried it with the ac off because i almost always run with it on. Could that be something that could cause it? 

This is normal due to the turbo system. It dissipates over time, the more often it is worked hard the faster it goes away. Granted it took 5000 to 8000 miles, can't remember exactly where I quit smelling it. I mostly noticed it outside the vehicle though, wasn't often it came through the vents.

2 hours ago, Perblue said:

Ford kills the horsepower when running lower octane but torque stays around the same, seen dyno charts for the 2.7L where they tested it. The rated hp claimed by ford is using 93 octane, you can use less because the computer will compensate for the knock and such, it doesn't mean that 87 is good for it. I plan on keeping this for a while so prefer to keep that to a minimum.

This is normal due to the turbo system. It dissipates over time, the more often it is worked hard the faster it goes away. Granted it took 5000 to 8000 miles, can't remember exactly where I quit smelling it. I mostly noticed it outside the vehicle though, wasn't often it came through the vents.

That sounds about right.. until I realize I don’t have a turbo model lol. I have a 2013 Edge sport with 3.7 v6

mine hasn’t always been like that though , it wasn’t smelly before but now it is. Could it be something cat related ? I’ve heard of people having issues where they get exhaust leaks into the cabin. It doesn’t smell like exhaust though , definitely a rubberish smell. 

2 hours ago, cds71 said:

I run the LMS 93 tune with 94.....when I have it detuned for the wife....I use the LMS performance 87 tune....and 87  costco gas.

Is LMS Good ? They’re based off in the UK right ? I’ve seen their 2nd gen edge on yt and it look real nice ! 

5 hours ago, AkMan13 said:

That sounds about right.. until I realize I don’t have a turbo model lol. I have a 2013 Edge sport with 3.7 v6

mine hasn’t always been like that though , it wasn’t smelly before but now it is. Could it be something cat related ? I’ve heard of people having issues where they get exhaust leaks into the cabin. It doesn’t smell like exhaust though , definitely a rubberish smell. 

haha sorry. It can be. Does it smell sweet at all?

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

haha sorry. It can be. Does it smell sweet at all?

Mmm I wouldn’t say sweet, it definitely smells burn. Like burning rubber, belt, wires. I checked all in the engine bay and can’t for the life of me find the root. I might give in and take it to a dealer where i know they’ll probably charge $100 just to take a look at it. We’ll see though. 

It’s 3:20am currently and i just finished installing the injectors and reflashed the ecu. Took it out for a drive and it runs great. Granted I installed the 93 tune to support the new injectors. I have about 1/4 of a tank so I’ll probably finish it tomorrow and try some E85 at my local pump. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:56 AM, AkMan13 said:

oohhhhh i dont know why i thought they were overseas. Any issues with them ? What engine do you run it on ? 

You may have thought there were over seas because of the name Livernois Motor Sport.  I have a 17' Edge Sport (2.7 V6) . Shes currently tuned via BCB.  I'm not into brand bashing. LMS did not work for me. It worked great when it did. Unfortunately It did not work for me, more times than it did. I do acknowledge that I am the unicorn and LMS works great for damn near 95% of those that use it.

After various diagnostic attempts etc, I will say that they did right by me, and gave me a full refund when requested. 

Edited by onyxbfly

12 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

You may have thought there were over seas because of the name Livernois Motor Sport.  I have a 17' Edge Sport (2.7 V6) . Shes currently tuned via BCB.  I'm not into brand bashing. LMS did not work for me. It worked great when it did. Unfortunately It did not work for me, more times than it did. I do acknowledge that I am the unicorn and LMS works great for damn near 95% of those that use it.

After various diagnostic attempts etc, I will say that they did right by me, and gave me a full refund when requested. 

I have heard of BCB but they mostly work on boosted applications and unfortunately for me I’m not boosted... yet ;) 

in all seriousness i have heard good things about them as well from a buddy of mine with a SHO. I’m currently looking at other tuners than the one i have because i feel like the one i currently run is a bit conservative. I run a catless system with Magnaflow catback. I want some pops and bangs when I’m on decel. I know gas mileage goes down but honestly on E85 I’m getting about 18 highway and 12 city so I’ll get used to it.