Front axle shaft replacement (pretty easy??)

fishx65

FWD is easier than AWD, but yes, with your skill level, you can DIY.  Just be sure to have the tools you need on hand ("rent" from parts stores), read the factory instructions thoroughly, and as ezndo said, use OEM axles.

Buck Newby has a nice YT channel, and he does have some tips for both driver and pass side axles that you may find helpful.  You can always PM him on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/user/buckn32/videos

I, unfortunately, just did this on my 2016 Sport.  It's not bad, once you free it from the carrier bearing.  Use a long pry bar and, carefully, push it out from the carrier bearing it's it's home free from there.  Literally should take less than 30min. if you have the correct tools.

Shumax

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi folks, I know this thread is a few years old, but can anyone comment on what brand CV axle I should purchase? I see someone mentioned "OEM" on RockAuto, but they don't have motorcraft in their list for my 2013 edge sport. Nothing shows as "new", but several show "reman'd" in the listing. I can only assume the ones that don't say remand are new? Maybe? I just don't know any of the manufacturers listed on their site. Can anyone comment on a brand that is good quality? I only want to do this once if I can. Thanks! 

I appreciate the reply, sorry for the delay. I did not get a notification of a response. I just happened to come back here & noticed it. Oddly, Tasca did not have the drivers side, non awd axle for my Edge. I did research the correct part number last week and researched it for a place to purchase but they all came from Ford dealers, nowhere else had them. My local dealer can get the oem part but they want 3 times as much as the highest quality local parts stores. This is why I read hoping I could find some info on a particular brand that is well known. I'd rather purchase locally where If I did run into trouble I could go back to the place in person to exchange or replace the axle w/o the hassleof packaging and shipping. I do appreciate your input!