2019 Edge ST sometimes shakes when shifting from P to D

passerby

My 2019 Edge ST sometimes shakes when shifting from Parking to Drive mode, but I'm sure that I applied the break properly before shifting. No issue noticed after shifting to D and while driving.

It's only about 6,000 km, and noticed this for some time already. Could there be any problem with my Edge ST or is this a known or common issue for this model?

Thanks all!

Edited by passerby

On 9/21/2020 at 7:50 PM, Perblue said:

Go get the latest tsb transmission update if you haven't done it since i june or july, it fixes this and other things.

I just checked and noticed that my Edge ST has an update available to SYNC3 v3.4.20136, does this update fix the problem or totally a different one and can only be done by the dealer? Thanks!

4 hours ago, passerby said:

I just checked and noticed that my Edge ST has an update available to SYNC3 v3.4.20136, does this update fix the problem or totally a different one and can only be done by the dealer? Thanks!

Totally different, it can only be done at the dealer. Just tell them it's shifting harsh but heard there was a tsb update to potentially fix the issue and you would like to have it done. You can do the sync update though yourself.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
8F57 Transmission - Harsh Engagements And/Or Harsh
Upshift/Downshift

20-
02 June
This bulletin supersedes 19-2313. Reason for update: Incorrect or Incomplete Symptom
Model:
Ford
2019-2020 Edge
Transmission/Transaxle: (8F57)
Lincoln
2019-2020 Nautilus
Transmission/Transaxle: (8F57)

11 hours ago, Perblue said:

Totally different, it can only be done at the dealer. Just tell them it's shifting harsh but heard there was a tsb update to potentially fix the issue and you would like to have it done. You can do the sync update though yourself.

Potentially... so sounds like it's a known issue and has not yet been solved by Ford... ?

16 hours ago, passerby said:

Potentially... so sounds like it's a known issue and has not yet been solved by Ford... ?

This was a very common issue at one point. Mine also would lurch when shifted to Drive. As if it was low on trans fluid but with less delay. 1st TSB fixed that for me back in early 2019.  Other issues came with later software builds... the "bang" into drive/reverse, shift flares into 3rd/4th, delayed downshifts. Latest software resolved most for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 11:15 PM, Perblue said:

potentially because a single problem can have multiple solutions. It fixes it for most, just book it in and get it done already.

Thanks very much! And I checked the latest discusion about this issue, seems there was a new TSB release in June, called my dealer but seemed they were not sure about this :S

1 hour ago, passerby said:

Thanks very much! And I checked the latest discusion about this issue, seems there was a new TSB release in June, called my dealer but seemed they were not sure about this :S

You're welcome. My dealership still looks at me cross eyed and confused with uncertainty when I tell them there is an update and need it done after 2 years.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, Darksider87 said:

This happened once to me but im pretty sure it was me forgetting to shift into park before getting out. So far never again  since 

If you shut the engine off it automatically shifts to park. If you open the door while in drive it will give a chime and show "Transmission not in park" on the cluster display. 

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry to reply to an old post, but I'm looking for some assistance.  I visited my local dealer for my '19 edge ST about the transmission shift issue.  Mainly an engagement issue between gears.  I had the initial TSB 19-2103 and 19-2313 (I hadn't known about 20-2190 until this post), but the service desk was not much help.  The only information they gave me was that the TSB needs to be associated with my VIN for them to perform the PCM update.  How true is this? Do I need to visit another dealer?  

Edited by Mattk-cpht

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 6:12 PM, Mattk-cpht said:

Sorry to reply to an old post, but I'm looking for some assistance.  I visited my local dealer for my '19 edge ST about the transmission shift issue.  Mainly an engagement issue between gears.  I had the initial TSB 19-2103 and 19-2313 (I hadn't known about 20-2190 until this post), but the service desk was not much help.  The only information they gave me was that the TSB needs to be associated with my VIN for them to perform the PCM update.  How true is this? Do I need to visit another dealer?  

Update: i took my Edge to the dealer to have the PCM reprogrammed per TSB 20-2190.  Got the Edge back yesterday (11/1/22) and have driven it 3 times the last 24 hours and have no engagement issues at this time.  Going to assume the TSB work fixed the transmission engagement issue.

• Thanks 1