2016 Subframe Rust

Edge16

Hi all, new here. I have a 2016 Edge Titanium that I bought used. Love the car and I have basically every option except the rear seat TVs so I plan to keep it a long time. 

This car spent the first 3 years of its life in Upstate NY and unfortunately the rust is already catching it. Mostly the rear subframe, axles, and some of the underbody beneath the trunk. Anyone else have rust this bad? Any ideas to help slow it down? 

Right now I’m planning to scrape the subframe and hit it with a coat of rust converter and rustoleum spray paint and then hit the entire area with fluid film. Nothing I can do about the axles and the body under the trunk isn’t bad enough for me to scrape and paint yet but I will hit it with fluid film too. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

AECDB1AA-8945-4458-873C-DE68A894D40B.jpeg

567F4968-367A-4541-B6CA-F102230D90FF.jpeg

735435FA-BD09-45AF-8E23-19ACF76C670A.jpeg

• Sad 1

get a pro opinion on what can be done.  if you want diy protection for the chassis, Fluid Film, Woolwax and other such products will help stop the process from going further.  Yearly re-application recommended.

surface rust is very common, so to stop it, you have to apply protectant basically when the vehicle is new.

avoid rubberized undercoatings.  they trap moisture.

More rustproofing related videos on his channel.  Worth watching.

MACT will also be putting out a video soon on how he rustproofed the chassis on his vehicles just recently.  Channel link in my sig below.

Love SMA! And totally agree - no rubber undercoating for me ever. 

This is how it turned out after I hit it with the rust converter. I first scraped and took a wire brush to the rust and washed everything down per the instructions. It turned out great especially considering I have no lift and was crawling on the ground the entire time.  

I’ll spray some black spray paint over it - not technically needed but it helps prolong the job - and then get some fluid film or similar to coat the underbody. I’m concerned about what to do with the bottom of the doors which capture so much dirt since fluid film and krown, etc are known to swell door seals

A6DB6D6B-3948-4BD1-92D4-29119F4F8629.jpeg

AF557E06-B7EE-4F5B-8319-D284D393F276.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Edge16 said:

I’m concerned about what to do with the bottom of the doors which capture so much dirt since fluid film and krown, etc are known to swell door seals

There is TSB 18-2339 that specifies revised bottom & back rear door weatherstripping in addition to installing mini mud flaps behind the front tires to reduce it. @WWWPerfA_ZN0W posted the TSB in this post.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Edge16 said:

I’m concerned about what to do with the bottom of the doors which capture so much dirt since fluid film and krown, etc are known to swell door seals

Back when I had my '16Titanium, the dealer did the "TSB" which "omar302" posted above at no charge. They replaced the weatherstrips at the bottom of the rocker panels and installed small deflectors behind the front wheels and I think there was some weatherstrips to replace on the rear doors too.

Now that I have a '19 Titanium, I checked it and I see that it now comes with the new style weatherstrips already installed at the factory.

Claude.