Need help finding what part this wire connects to

ThugFordEdge3.5

I have a 2017 Ford Edge Titanium AWD 3.5L V6.

I was looking around under the hood the other day, and I noticed right between the battery, and the metal frame this 3 inch taped up wire with connector harness plugged in to another wire harness connector. It also is held in place by a push in type clip that holds it neatly in place. I've been able to find a picture of another edge. Not even the 3.5l V6 and I could see the plastic harness, but I couldn't make out anything else from the picture. So this wire seems common enough, and I was hoping someone will know what it connects to. I'll add pictures below. Also I should mention I had the rear main seal replaced a few months ago, and transmission was removed for this. So it could very well be some sensor connecting to the transmission, or one of the sensors around the drivers side of the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

IMG_20201007_103218.jpg

Screenshot_2020-10-06-17-45-24.png

35 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

unplug it and see if a code pops? :)

I tried that, nothing happened. Just strange to have wire not connected, but also no codes from it. 

I would think something would have been noticable by now. I do have the engine taking a long time to warm up when it's cold and winter, and this symptom goes away in the summer. So I've ordered a motorcraft coolant temperature sensor, Stant SuperStat Thermostat with gasket. Also ordered motorcraft cylinder head temperature sensor. I got intake manifold gasket already for when I remove the intake manifold. The coolant temperature sensor is faulty for sure.

Just the other day I noticed this sediment at the bottom of the degas bottle, and I ended up flushing the coolant, but there is still some in there. So I plan on draining the coolant and removing all the parts and leaving thermostat out and going nuts on flushing using zerex super radiator cleaner, and then I'll use Thermocure and flush using hose for a while before running 80 liters of distilled water. I'm hoping to take care of this issue that's been around for 9 months. I went to 3 different Ford dealerships, and they couldn't come up with anything. I bought a diagnostic scanner and found the faulty coolant temperature sensor, and right after I found the coolant system full of sediments that is dry like chalk when I rub between fingers. Now I'm just hoping to figure out what that wire is. After all this I'm never bringing my vehicle to a Ford dealership again. I been chasing problems for 15 months. New one with each visit to Ford lol. 

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

I don't have wiring diagrams for gen 2 on hand, otherwise i would have made a reasonably educated guess lol.

You would do well to either buy the manual (paper or DVD), or get an online subscription from the numerous established services such as Chilton's/Alldata/Mitchell etc.  The online sub will keep you current on bulletins Ford puts out as long as you have the subscription.  Sometimes discounts are available, check around for coupons such as on retailmenot.com.

The sediment is most likely coolant additives fallen out of suspension, but that is never good.  Means the coolant was run too long.  Either use an aftermarket (non-orange) extended life coolant or the new Motorcraft Yellow.  Just my 2 cents.

The cleaner is a good idea, hopefully only needs 1 pass to work.  Don't want clogs in the radiator or heater core.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:19 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

I don't have wiring diagrams for gen 2 on hand, otherwise i would have made a reasonably educated guess lol.

You would do well to either buy the manual (paper or DVD), or get an online subscription from the numerous established services such as Chilton's/Alldata/Mitchell etc.  The online sub will keep you current on bulletins Ford puts out as long as you have the subscription.  Sometimes discounts are available, check around for coupons such as on retailmenot.com.

The sediment is most likely coolant additives fallen out of suspension, but that is never good.  Means the coolant was run too long.  Either use an aftermarket (non-orange) extended life coolant or the new Motorcraft Yellow.  Just my 2 cents.

The cleaner is a good idea, hopefully only needs 1 pass to work.  Don't want clogs in the radiator or heater core.

Where can obtain the wiring of that location? I think the whole situation got much more serious when I reached back there and all the wires in that taped up area are cut. 

I been getting some strange behavior from one of the dealerships. I called and spoke to manager about the vehicle taking a long time to warm up, and that was a month ago. Before finding these wires I felt like they where afraid to deal with my vehicle or go near it. It's been 30 days of excuses and told this and that. 

Also they where the ones who replaced my rear main seal. So I think those wires may have something to do with it. Somehow I'm not getting any Codes from it, so if these wires are important. Then whoever did the cutting, did it intentionally because they also did something else to block these codes. 

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I don't think 3 to 5 wires just randomly go in Ford edges and connect to nothing lol

I just checked my 2016 Edge Sport, and it is the same. Actually the wires are not cut, but are a plug, they turn around to close a circuit, probably it is for something out Edges are not equipped with. The only thing that comes to mind is the Auto Start-Stop that I think is only equipped in FWD 2.0 Edges in 2015-2018 models.

Screenshot_20201009-152637~2.jpg

Screenshot_20201009-152628~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:39 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

You have to get your hands on the wiring diagrams.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:31 AM, omar302 said:

I just checked my 2016 Edge Sport, and it is the same. Actually the wires are not cut, but are a plug, they turn around to close a circuit, probably it is for something out Edges are not equipped with. The only thing that comes to mind is the Auto Start-Stop that I think is only equipped in FWD 2.0 Edges in 2015-2018 models.

Screenshot_20201009-152637~2.jpg

Screenshot_20201009-152628~2.jpg

On 10/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, dajo2012 said:

Just for the heck of it I checked my 2020 ST.  It has exactly the same plug and wires.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, omar302 said:

Well, that means it has nothing to do with Auto Sart-Stop because the ST has it.

Sorry I took so long to get back. I guess it's completely normal. I'm assuming it may be a junction connector. Or at least that's what I found on another forum discussing that wire. I had gotten the code on that black plastic harness 33472-0723

And then did a Google search, and only one discussion about the wire came up, along with the actual harness connector plug for sale at a few sites. Here is the link to a Ford fusion forum that discussed this  exact wire plug

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=9060&pid=145646

• Like 2

• 1 year later...