Adding Heated Steering to 19’ Titanium 301A

Hi folks, happy to be a new member of the Edge community.  Just bought my wife a 19’ Edge Titanium with the 301A package.  After we picked it up I was shocked to realize that it doesn’t have the heated steering wheel my 19’ Fusion Titanium has.    My wife is going to be mad when I tell her as that was one of the key things that convinced her to upgrade from her beloved Santa Fe. 

I have read the heated wheel installation guides on the F150 and Fusion forums, so I understand the basic concept. I am new to Forscan but have bought the adapter and plan to learn. The big question I have is what parts do I actually need for my wife’s particular car.  For example, my wife’s car has paddle shifters, adaptive cruise, lane centering, etc. the closest part description for the wheel seems to be:

KT4Z-3600-SB 

Edge. With adaptive cruise. 2019-20, with heated wheel. Without leather strg. wheel.”

But, I also can’t find a non-heated steering wheel listed for a 19’ Edge with adaptive Cruise /active steer. And all wheels with adaptive or active steering say “without leather strg. Wheel”. Seems to make no sense.  So should I assume that our car has this wheel, and it’s a wheel with heated elements?  I know that’s not true for most models, but could it be that at the Titanium level the wheels are already ready for heat?

Same question for the clock spring? Can’t find any reference to one that has power tilt/telescope and adaptive but no heat. Should I again assume the wiring is already there?

i suppose it could be that they just left out the HSWM, again begging the question why did Ford omit this from a loaded vehicle with front and rear heated seats, heated mirrors, and everything else... just to sell an extra cold weather package?

If anyone has any insight, or suggestions for how I might find out, I’d love to hear more!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Perblue said:

The 301A does come with heated steering wheel. To turn it on and off in the climate settings. It will also auto turn on with command start when it's cold. If you update or get the dealer to update it to sync version 3.4 it adds a more convenient button to the home screen.

As per the Order Guide, it is part of the Cold Weather Package. It is not part of the 301a package.

To OP, I don't recall anyone doing this retrofit on this forum, definitely not on a 2019/2020. Since the Fusion is closest, try to follow that how-to. For part numbers, I suggest you find a VIN for a similar model Edge that has the heated steering wheel then request parts for it through one of the online vendors such as www.levittownfordparts.com or Tasca Parts. They can confirm with the VIN if the part is correct.

2019-Edge-Order-Guide.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to report back that I was able to add a heated steering wheel pretty easily.  I found a heated wheel out of a wrecked 19' SEL with Copilot 360+ on ebay for $172.  I bought the clockspring (ERGZ-14A664-J - $83.19), HSWM (DG9Z14B561-A - $34.09), and the replacement steering wheel bolt ($0.86) on Tasca.  With tax and shipping I spent about $330 total.

Fortunately the harness is already setup for the HSWM.  On the module side you just unclip it from the holder under the dash.  In my case I double sided taped the module to a support bracket and double secured it with a couple of zip ties.  I saw no need to by a bracket and bolt in a 1 oz plastic box.  On the clockspring end (which by the way Ford calls a "Contact Plate Assembly" and saves the designation of Clockspring for a $600+ part in the steering column - which really threw me off), the wiring is all exactly the same on the vehicle side, with the one extra plug on the wheel side.  Even the other end of that heated plug is on the old clockspring - presumably going nowhere.

I finished it up with the forscan instructions from the Fusion 2G site, and viola... wifey has warm hands!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wondering: is it possible to installed heated steering wheel to a 2011 Edge SEL?

I ended up putting a wheel cover over the wheel leather because that double layer makes it easier to handle the wheel on super cold days...

Please let me know if someone has done or possible.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Edgingage said:

Wondering: is it possible to installed heated steering wheel to a 2011 Edge SEL?

I ended up putting a wheel cover over the wheel leather because that double layer makes it easier to handle the wheel on super cold days...

Please let me know if someone has done or possible.

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1