my 2012 edge

Gas smell in cabin

I have a 2012 edge with the 3.5l engine. Sporadically I get a gas smell in the cabin. I already changed the pvc valve and front valve cover because I was getting oil  in the intake tube. Ant ideas what could be causing this thanks

When you say gas, do you mean gasoline or natural gas?  AWD or FWD?  Only on heavy acceleration, or all the time?  Was the Edge ever rear-ended?

Do you have issues starting the engine after a fillup?  If so, test the purge valve on the firewall, see if it holds vacuum.  It may also be leaking if a vapor line is not clamped on tightly.

How many miles, and have you ever changed the PTU fluid?  The smell is more like natural gas, but thought I would ask anyway.  Might be a vent leak, axle seal leak, or output shaft seal leak.

It could be a cracked flex pipe also, a common problem with gen 1.5 vehicles.

If the exhaust relief flaps in the rear bumper are staying open, that can be a source of fuel smell also.

It has 55k smell seems to be coming from the vents uts better but still there at times si ce u changed the front valve cover. I think it only comes on when you turn the heat or air on

have you ever replaced the cabin air filter / drained the evaporator drain?  the filter is something easy to check.  also do you experience the smell only on hard acceleration or at all times when climate control is in use?

I have changed the cabin filter.it happens during regular driving not acceleration.dosent happen everything i use climate control where the evapoter drain

Th ac drain is clean and  I just drove it very aggressively and no smell

ok, so that likely lets out exhaust vents, a/c system, and flex pipe.  still would check on the ptu, and plumbing to/from the purge valve.

I had this happen on my 2009 MKX. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a vacuum hose on tbe back of the engine. Gas fumes were being drawn into the cabin air intake which is located in the engine compartment. 

• Like 1

Hello folks:

I have a somehow similar issue: very sporadic gas smell inside my 2011 FWD getting to the 200K (125K miles) mark.

Now, "my 2012 edge" if you don't mind to clarify, please: in your very first (original) post you said that you "...already changed the ... front valve cover..." but you were still smelling gasoline in your cabin.  But in your very last post you said that the smell went away since you "changed the valve cover" (the same thing?).

I just want to know if you changed something else other than the valve cover when the smell went finally away, please.

Thanks.

Edited by Edgingage

Sorry for the confusion. I changed  the  pvc valve also at the same time as the front valve cover.. after I did that the smell was there one more time.then I cleaned  out the tube that connects  to the throttle body and it never happened  again. Pretty simple job changing valve cover

• Like 1