2020 Engine Temperature

lildisco

I've noticed that since the weather has turned colder that my new 2020 Edge doesn't get up to operating temp very easily. I've driven several trips between about 5-10 miles & varying speeds (30-60 mph) & my Edge just barely reaches operating temperature if at all at the end of my trip. My OBD2 monitor also confirms that the car is around 140 - 160 degrees instead of around 180 degrees. 

My wife's 2016 SEL is usually up to operating temps usually within a mile or two after start up. The only difference is that it appears that my 2020 doesn't have the active shutters that our 2016 does. 

I don't notice any difference in heat or performance, but just concerned that it the weather gets closer to 0 or below that it might have problems keeping up with the cold.

My Edge does have the 'cold weather package' but that appears to be heated steering wheel & wiper area & all weather floor mats. I searched in the owners manual & can find nothing about active shutters or grilles or anything about it. Anyone else have any insight on this? 

Once it reaches operating temp, it stays there. Even if I stop at a light. I'm not a very aggressive driver usually (the display says 27.8mpg currently) so I think that's part of the 'reason'. 

I drive the wife's Edge similarly & hers is up to temp within a mile or two in the same weather conditions. 

Mine definitely isn’t up to temperature within a couple miles but it is registering on the gauge and the defroster is doing it’s job. Last night I changed the heat setting to auto (from max defrost) at about three miles. Weird drivers including an ambulance exiting right from the left lane diverted my attention after that. 

My previous CUV had a 2 litre turbo GDI motor and it would take quite a while to get up to operating temperature in the winter unless I drove it like I stole it. It seems to be the case with a lot of GDI motors. Directly injecting ice cold fuel into the combustion chamber might contribute to it.  It seems most modern small displacement motors take a while to heat up in the northern climates.

Speaking of northern climates, it would sure help if this forum had a functioning user location feature. That would help with answering certain types of questions.

I can't tell any bad side affects, but I was shocked to see that Ford got rid of that feature seeing how it could be helpful in the northern states / Canada. There must be a reason why. I'll have to watch the gauge when I get onto the highway from our house & see if it'll get up to operating temp quicker. 

I do know that if drive more aggressively, it would get up to temp faster, but I try not to. (Wife is expecting in April & trying to 'calm down' my driving. It's VERY HARD TO DO with all the idiots out on the road) 

6 hours ago, lildisco said:

My wife's 2016 SEL is usually up to operating temps usually within a mile or two after start up. The only difference is that it appears that my 2020 doesn't have the active shutters that our 2016 does. 

Is the 2016 also with the 2.0 4 cylinder? Just do the comparison is apples to apples.

Also, as far as I know, all the Edges should have the shutters. Remote start it while looking in the grille to see if they are working. During startup they make a cycle to ensure they are working. If you use ForScan, there is a PID to monitor the shutter open percentage.

• Like 1

wife was mad at me, so i didn't have enough time to hook up FORScan, but I did verify that there's shutters & when started they do a 'test close' then open back up.  Next step would be to monitor the Shutter PID to see if they're closed while driving. Just weird that I did several searches in the online owners manual & didn't find anything.

It took roughly 6 1/2 miles to reach operating temp, 4 miles of which, was at highway speeds at 70mph.  Outside temps were around 45 degrees, if anyone was wondering.

Edited by lildisco

Monitoring the shutters via FORScan, the only time that they're fully closed is at idle or near idle.  Cruising down the road at 60 mph, they range from 26% to 30% closed.  Every time I came close to a stop or was driving under 15 mph, it would gradually creep up to 100%.  So, it appears that they're working but not working how I would expect for Engine Temps, but maybe for fuel economy?  Temp was around 37 degrees this morning & engine temps didn't reach operating temps till I got on my return home, roughly 6 miles there at 60 mph.  At idle, I did see the engine temps drop before my return home, shutters were at 100%.  The engine temp quickly got up to operating temps on my return home, roughly mile 7 of my morning trip.

It's interesting how these things work.  More time & investigation is in order.  Didn't notice any issues when temps were in the 80's & 90's a few months ago in Florida.  I guess it's a good thing that the engine won't get too hot in the summer & struggles to stay warm in the winter. 

• Like 1

If remember correctly, ForScan reports % open. So at speed the value would go down to 0% open. Also, the AC affects the shutter operation as the condenser requires air flow, hence shutters would open more. 

Attached are from the 2015 Service Manual.

Active Grille Shutter - System Operation and Component Description.pdf

Active Grille Shutter - Overview.pdf

Edited by omar302
Correction.
  • Like 1

Went it did the test at start up, it showed 100% then back to 0% & stayed at 0% till I started moving. That coralates to what I saw when I watched the test during a remote start.

I don't usually use the a/c unless it's raining or really humid, aka snowing. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the wife's 2016 Edge Fwd on the same route this morning ~37 degrees out & took roughly 2 miles to get up to operating temp. I did sit at a red light for about a minute, no ac or defrost on. Besides the 25mph zone to get to main road & the red light it's a 55mph zone. 

I should have took the laptop & logged it to see the differences. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

It moves a little bit while driving, but definitely takes about 3x's as long to get to operating temp compared to my wife's 2016.  I'll have to look at the actual temp on hers & see where it's at when it's operating temp.  I believe that it's the same ~180 degrees, but I'm not 100% sure. 

• Like 1

FORD EDGE 2015-2018
FORD ESCAPE 2017-2019
FORD EXPLORER 2016-2019
FORD FOCUS 2016-2018
FORD FUSION 2017-2020
FORD MUSTANG 2015-2020
FORD TRANSIT CONNECT 2019-2020
LINCOLN MKC 2015-2019
LINCOLN MKZ 2017-2020

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2015,edge,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,3310416,cooling+system,thermostat+housing+/+water+outlet,10337

MOTORCRAFT RT1222 {#AG9Z8575B} 190 Degree Thermostat Info
To 12/24/14

<
Part image
>
$29.79  

MOTORCRAFT RT1233 {#FR3Z8575A} 190 Degree Thermostat Info   One of our most popular parts
From 01/19/15

<
Part image
>
$38.99

K2GZ-8575-A 2019+

Looks like 190F OEM

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2019,edge,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,3443236,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

VEHICLE FITMENT

Make Body & Trim Engine & Transmission
2020 Ford Edge SE, SEL, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas
2020 Lincoln Nautilus Base, Black Label, Reserve, Select 2.0L L4 - Gas
2019 Ford Edge SE, SEL, Titanium 2.0L L4 - Gas
2019 Lincoln Nautilus Base, Black Label, Reserve, Select 2.0L L4 - Gas
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

If there IS a fault, this may be worth looking into, whether these symptoms are present or not.

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 48345

Summary

Some 2019-2020 Edge/Escape/Nautilus/Corsair vehicles equipped with 2.0L EcoBoost engines may exhibit low coolant, white smoke from the tailpipe, an over temperature warning in the instrument panel cluster (IPC), external coolant leaking, and/or illuminated MIL with DTCs P0217, P0401, P1026, P1285, P1299, P2196 or P2467 stored in the PCM. This may be due to an EGR Cooler that is leaking coolant into the engine intake and exhaust system. The EGR cooler should be inspected first to detect the presence of any internal leaks by a visual inspection and a pressure test as defined in the Workshop Manual (WSM). If any coolant is found leaking from the coolant chamber into the exhaust chamber, replace the EGR cooler. If no issues are detected with the EGR cooler, continue repair diagnosis using standard diagnostic procedures as defined in the WSM.

The shutters have nothing to do with how long it takes the car to warm up.  The shutters are for fuel economy only.  The symptoms the OP is describing is a faulty thermostat that is not closing and seating correctly, allowing some coolant flow during warm up, which is prolonging the warm up.  It might be something else, but replacing the thermostat is easy and cheap, so it's the logical place to start.

5 minutes ago, lildisco said:

Wouldn't the shutters block air flow over the radiator? I'm not saying totally, but the restricted air flow 'should' cause the vehicle to warm up faster.

The vehicle is under warranty, so if the thermostat needs to be replaced, then it would go to the dealer. 

They control air flow to the radiator so of course they will have an effect on cooling and heating.

• Like 1

When the thermostat is closed, which it should be when the engine is cold, there is no coolant flow through the radiator.  So how would the shutters have anything to do with the warm-up duration?  The shutters are a secondary means of controlling coolant temperature, once the engine is warmed up.  I did not say they have no effect, of course they do.  They have no effect during warm-up.  If you think they have an effect on warm-up, you do not understand the cooling system and the function of the thermostat.

1 hour ago, todd92 said:

When the thermostat is closed, which it should be when the engine is cold, there is no coolant flow through the radiator.  So how would the shutters have anything to do with the warm-up duration?  The shutters are a secondary means of controlling coolant temperature, once the engine is warmed up.  I did not say they have no effect, of course they do.  They have no effect during warm-up.  If you think they have an effect on warm-up, you do not understand the cooling system and the function of the thermostat. 

Oh I do understand the function of the cooling system and what a thermostat does. I also understand life at -30 Celsius. Maybe you're from the deep south where it's not as relevant.

• Like 2