Transmission shift when cold

rritch01

Depending on how cold, cold is where you are. It's -30C here so the transmission fluid is super thick and not moving around well so the transmission will shift slower. You could also be low on transmission fluid or the transmission could be worn and have said issues showing when cold.

4 hours ago, Perblue said:

Depending on how cold, cold is where you are. It's -30C here so the transmission fluid is super thick and not moving around well so the transmission will shift slower. You could also be low on transmission fluid or the transmission could be worn and have said issues showing when cold.

Ditto in my neck of the woods today. The transmission in my Malibu was a little slow shifting this morning.

This brought to mind problem I had with a rental years ago. I was in Central Wisconsin and it hit -40°f (no wind chill) that night. Everyone else had their car plugged in except me (rental). Think this wad around Rhinelander. 

Went out at 7am and cranked. And cranked and cranked. And cranked. Wentbin twice to let tbe started cool and me to warm. (Did I mention it was 40°F)?

Probably near burnt out the starter. (rental). Finally it fired on 3 cylinders. The 4. Then 5, then after running for a couple of minutes, 6.

Let it warm up completely while I sat in my motel room and shivered in front of the heater. 

Finally got on the road and headed to my first inspection. Reverse was like it had syrup in the tranny. Heavy on the gas and jussssst moving in reverse. Now into drive and it refused to shift out of low. I'm heading down an empty, dark, snow-covered highway, floored, doing 25 mph. Engine red lining, still no shift. So I figure either it blows or it shifts. (rental).

It took about 15-20 miles to thaw out and shift. I began to think it would never shift. Just how hot does the tranny fluid have to get anyway?

Unrelated, but the tires never thawed out. They took a "set" on the bottom from sitting on the ground. So, thump, thimp, thump down the highway. They were still deformed at the end of the next day when I turned the car in at Minneapolis a/p.

Damn -40° is cold. I was never that cold even in northern Quebec Provence. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...