2015 Trunk button not working

Kshier27

I need some advice on a broken trunk button on my 2015 Edge SEL. The small rubber button on the outside of the trunk hatch has stopped working, and I’m wondering if anyone has had this happen before? The hatch itself opens when I press the trunk button on my key fob, but the button on the actual trunk doesn’t work. The fact the trunk still opens with the fob leads me to believe it’s a faulty button/switch, or perhaps electrical. 

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? I took it to the dealership (out of warranty), and they quoted me a few hundred bucks even to diagnose the problem, so I thought I’d try here first. Any help is appreciated!

Yea, I think it has to do with whether the switch is active or not, not what happens afterwards.

If memory serves, it's the left button ln the steering wheel and you thumb down to settings, vehicle and liftgate, on/off (i think). Easy enough to check and eliminate this possibility. 

i'm not at all familiar with the non-power liftgates having had power ones only but since your key fob works to open the liftgate and the button doesn't, i think it's safe to assume that the lock mechanism functions and it just isn't getting the message from the button.

i don't know what happens when you press the button meaning that i don't know if it just sends a voltage somewhere or if there's more to it than that.

the main point of this post is that if i were in this situation, i would try and get access to the inside of the switch and check for a loose/broken wire or bad contacts, etc.

i have no idea of how to get into that back panel but there's a decent chance that you can find instructions on youtube or elsewhere.

of course, that means that you would have to be comfortable with mechanical and/or electrical stuff.

Liftgate Latch Release (manual liftgate)

The liftgate latch can be released using:

• the exterior liftgate release switch.
  • a valid programmed passive key.

The BCM sends a voltage signal to the exterior liftgate release switch. When the liftgate release switch is pressed, the voltage signal is routed to ground, indicating a request to release the liftgate latch. The BCM momentarily provides voltage to the liftgate latch to actuate the release motor.

When using the liftgate release switch, the BCM releases the liftgate only when the doors have been electronically unlocked and the vehicle is in PARK.

When using a programmed RKE transmitter, press the liftgate release button twice within 3 seconds to release the liftgate latch. The liftgate latch releases if the vehicle speed is 5 km/h (3.1 mph) or less.

The liftgate latch can also be released using the passive entry feature. Refer to Liftgate Passive Entry in this section.

15 edge manual liftgate.pdf

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kshier27 said:

@ben senise I will give that shot and see if I can sort it out! I should've mentioned that the trunk switch works 1 of every 10 times...which leads me to believe it's a contact/wiring issue? Thanks for your help.

ah, good to know. that supports the bad contact or loose wire theory even more.

i did a super quick search and found a couple videos on youtube where a guy took apart a gen 1 edge. looked like a bit of work but certainly doable if you're comfortable with those things.

be sure to come back and let everyone know how you did. good luck!

• 1 year later...