Xtra

V3 Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB Air Box

Just returned from the welder and the elbows welded fine. That is great news as these elbows cost half as much as the ones I used to fabricate my Elbow Reducers.

I just ordered enough of these mandrel bent elbows to build all ten Reducers. 

IMG_8746.JPG

Tack welded the Sensor Brackets as well. 

IMG_8749.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Now that I know that the aluminum used in the elbows is good enough to pass my standards, I went and picked up enough to do all five V3s. 

Things are moving fast now, and I hope I can keep up the pace. 

IMG_8753.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, TT Steve said:

I personally do not want that secondary air inlet. I am working something else for this airbox. 

A penny for your thoughts......care to share?  What did you have in mind?  It may be to the benefit of everyone that is interested in the airbox. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

A penny for your thoughts......care to share?  What did you have in mind?  It may be to the benefit of everyone that is interested in the airbox. 

I must admit I am curious myself. 

• Like 1

Managed to do some work on the lower half today. I made the cutout for the Bottom Patch, and removed of all the excess parts.

Lean and mean. Next step is to cutout the area for the Snorkel Adaptor. 

IMG_8755.JPG

Just test fitting the Bottom Patches, they are not attached yet.  # getting there. 

IMG_8760.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Well right now nothing to discuss as it is in my mind and not so much on paper. I don't like to say anything about stuff I do until I follow through with it. Otherwise I look like the fool, I hope you all understand. Don't worry, I will share. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TT Steve said:

Well right now nothing to discuss as it is in my mind and not so much on paper. I don't like to say anything about stuff I do until I follow through with it. Otherwise I look like the fool, I hope you all understand. Don't worry, I will share. 

I can dig it! Completely understandable. Only time will tell, perhaps Xtra may have access to extra parts if one decides to follow through with your concept.

• Like 2

I have a question/ concern that I haven't seen addressed so here we go. I don't know how far/ low your snorkel runs but have you given any thought to mitigating hydrolock?

Back in the day and I mean way back in the day.  I used a  CAI on a bimmer. I used a valve that would shut down if submerge in water.  At that time my friend had a modified turbo supra.  He said it wasn't necessary.... I think he said something along the lines that if he came across a road that was flooded he would just about face and find a different road etc....

Needless to say we were out and about and we had a torrential storm. The rain got worse as progressed and by time we saw the water it was too late the road was flooding around us.... I'm from NYC we're used to epic blizzards and crazy hurricanes but the roads never really flood in NYC.  Least not that I recall.  Maybe in the burbs yes, the city not so much....

While it was cool to see both cars side by side plow through the water creating this wave effect..... what was not cool was my friend in tears cause he sucked water in through his CAI......  Wish he had the forethought to just shut the car off.... I shut my ride down and had to get towed out....He kept going and the car shut down for him. He had to get towed out and replace an engine. Hindsight is 2020.

I'm now in Philly and we have had at least two floods that I can recall...... You may have seen the idiots diving off of the freeway signs into standing water...... on YouTube or ticktock...... Stupid yes, but I'm also in a city where they have a jail in the stadium and fans throw snow balls at Santa and the team...... Some asshat even ate horse sh!t after the superbowl.  But I digress. Its not all Philadelphians,  but the level of stupidity I've witnessed is abysmal at best.

Back on track, I know that water repellent filter socks are available but I don't know how much water they will prevent from entering the filter etc.  Am I overthinking this? Is hydrolocking a concern with your design?

• Sad 1