2016 Edge Trunk Won't Open

2016 SEL trunk/gate (not a power lift) is not opening properly. Basically the only way we can get it open is to press the button inside the handle, wait 5 to 10 seconds, then press it again and most of the time it will release and let us lift it open. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Everything I've found here revolves around the power lift gate but nothing for the standard trunk. Any thoughts or maybe a link to a thread that I missed?

Liftgate latch & release components and their operation,  edited for manual liftgate, from online Workshop Manual...

Liftgate Latch Release (manual liftgate)

The liftgate latch can be released using:

• the exterior liftgate release switch.
  • a valid programmed passive key.

The Body Control Module (BCM) sends a voltage signal to the exterior liftgate release switch. When the liftgate release switch is pressed, the voltage signal is routed to ground, indicating a request to release the liftgate latch. The BCM momentarily provides voltage to the liftgate latch to actuate the release motor.

When using the liftgate release switch, the BCM releases the liftgate only when the doors have been electronically unlocked and the vehicle is in PARK.

Liftgate Passive Entry (with vehicle locked)

With a programmed passive key within 1 meter (3.28 feet) outside the liftgate, press the exterior liftgate release button on the rear of the vehicle to release the liftgate latch (manual liftgate). When the BCM detects the exterior liftgate release button is pressed, it activates the low frequency antenna in the luggage compartment area. The low frequency antenna sends out a signal to activate the passive key. The passive key then responds by sending a high frequency signal back to the Radio Transmitter Module (RTM). The RTM interprets the high frequency signal from the passive key and sends the information to the BCM. If the BCM detects a valid programmed passive key, the BCM releases the liftgate latch (manual liftgate). 

The following are diagnostic procedures intended for professional technicians, along with replacement instructions for the exterior liftgate release switch and latch mechanism.

2016 Edge - Manual Liftgate Release Diagnostic Procedure - Workshop Manual.pdf (download link)

2016 Edge - Liftgate Inner Trim Panel Removal and Installation - Workshop Manual.pdf (download link)

2016 Edge - Liftgate Release Switch Removal and Installation - Workshop Manual.pdf (download link)

2016 Edge - Liftgate Latch Removal and Installation - Workshop Manual.pdf (download link)

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 5

In order to assess if a properly equipped do-it-yourself owner could monitor the operation of the liftgate release switch, I installed my OBD2 adapter and connected to my 2015 MKX using ForscanLite for Android on my smartphone, since the task does not require any programming activity, which is only available using full-strength Forscan on a laptop computer.

Using either the Dashboard function or the Graph function, and selecting the Parameter ID (PID) HANDLSW for the Liftgate Trunk Module (LTM), or LTM.HANDLSW if searching ALL modules, ForscanLite's Dashboard will display onscreen the momentary activated status of the exterior Liftgate release switch, and the Graph function will show a flowing bottom flat line which jumps up when the switch is pushed and the line returns to the bottom flat line when the button is released.

Also on my smartphone, I have the OBD Fusion Android scanning app with its optional cost Ford-Lincoln-Mercury extension for my 2015 MKX. It too allows monitoring of the exterior Liftgate release switch, available under the Liftgate/Trunk Module as the Handle Switch Signal PID designation.

I am aware that many national-chain auto parts stores will perform OBD2 scans for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) on customer vehicles, but I do not know if they will go so far as to perform a scan to assess the successful operation of the exterior Liftgate release switch, though it is likely a replacement part which they may sell, so if it's in their self-interest toward a parts sale, perhaps they would perform the scan if they have that capability.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, mholland79 said:

2016 SEL trunk/gate (not a power lift) is not opening properly. Basically the only way we can get it open is to press the button inside the handle, wait 5 to 10 seconds, then press it again and most of the time it will release and let us lift it open. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Everything I've found here revolves around the power lift gate but nothing for the standard trunk. Any thoughts or maybe a link to a thread that I missed?

looking at Haz's reply, i'm left wondering if your problem with the switch is the same with the car locked and unlocked. is it?

• Like 2

It may be useful to clarify that my earlier comment on using ForscanLite and OBD Fusion to monitor the Liftgate handle-mounted latch release switch relates to operation of the power liftgate on my GEN 1 2015 MKX.

Because 2016 Edge is GEN 2, and the 2016 Workshop Manual mentions only the Body Control Module (BCM) in relation to manual Liftgate latch release, I did a deeper dive and found confirmation of the exclusive involvement of the BCM in the Manual Liftgate wiring diagram...

2016 Edge - Manual Liftgate Wiring Diagram.jpg

Consequently, using OBD2 scanning software on a GEN 2 Edge will likely yield a BCM Parameter ID (PID) comparable to the Workshop Manual's diagnostic-mentioned LFTGATE_R_SW.

Good luck!

2016 Edge - Liftgate Electrical Connector Locations.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 4

If this just started lately, it very well could be related to a weak vehicle battery.

How old is your battery? If it's the original, it's probably at end of life. 

Also could try a reset. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes, then replace. Resets all of the cars logical modules (including the BCM and SJB).

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 1:21 PM, Haz said:

It may be useful to clarify that my earlier comment on using ForscanLite and OBD Fusion to monitor the Liftgate handle-mounted latch release switch relates to operation of the power liftgate on my GEN 1 2015 MKX.

Because 2016 Edge is GEN 2, and the 2016 Workshop Manual mentions only the Body Control Module (BCM) in relation to manual Liftgate latch release, I did a deeper dive and found confirmation of the exclusive involvement of the BCM in the Manual Liftgate wiring diagram...

2016 Edge - Manual Liftgate Wiring Diagram.jpg

Consequently, using OBD2 scanning software on a GEN 2 Edge will likely yield a BCM Parameter ID (PID) comparable to the Workshop Manual's diagnostic-mentioned LFTGATE_R_SW.

Good luck!

2016 Edge - Liftgate Electrical Connector Locations.jpg

Thanks for the response, but I believe this level of troubleshooting is beyond my skill set. That said, I'm going to try and figure it out anyways!

On 7/31/2021 at 11:38 AM, ben senise said:

looking at Haz's reply, i'm left wondering if your problem with the switch is the same with the car locked and unlocked. is it?

That's a good thought. I can't remember trying to open it with the key fob in my pocket and the vehicle lock. Will try today to rule that out. My issue happens always when the car is unlocked. Sometimes I can't get it to release when it is unlocked, but walking over and hitting the unlock button on the drivers door will allow my 'press the button - wait 10 seconds - hit it again and it works' solution to work.

10 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

If this just started lately, it very well could be related to a weak vehicle battery.

How old is your battery? If it's the original, it's probably at end of life. 

Also could try a reset. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes, then replace. Resets all of the cars logical modules (including the BCM and SJB).

It started 6 months or so ago. Good thought on the battery as it is the original. Same on the reset. I'll give that a try tonight.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, mholland79 said:

So after trying a handful of the suggested solutions above, I finally just replaced the complete latch assembly which fixed the problem. Below are links to a video I found on the replacement procedure as well as a link to where I purchased the latch.

Tailgate Latch Assembly

Tailgate Latch Assembly Video

thanks for posting that. doesn't seem too bad for sixty-bucks or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was having this same issue with my 2016 SEL almost 2 years ago. This hurts seeing this post and how easy and cost efficient the replacement is. I could not find a video anywhere with this same issue at the time I was having the issue. 

I was out of options because I could not get it to open at all some days so I had to break down and take it to the dealer to replace. 

Seeing that the part is only around $60 and the video showing how relatively simple the replacement is hurts knowing how much I got ripped off. Which I knew anyway at the time but seeing this just opens old wounds.  But again at the time I was out of options.

Seems a lot if people have had this same issue with the liftgate.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I don't want to take over the thread, but I'm also having intermittent locking issues with my 2016 Titanium. Sometimes the tailgate starts to open but won't, it seems to catch and will not release fully. Other times it's completely dead, all switches will not open it. No clicks, nada. Then if I wait about 20 min it miraculously opens up normally. Also, when closing it there usually is a slam, then a click as it latches. Often there is the usual slam and no secondary latch click. Does this sound like a defective latch assy? I might just try it for $60 its money well spent.  

7 hours ago, jerrybb said:

I don't want to take over the thread, but I'm also having intermittent locking issues with my 2016 Titanium. Sometimes the tailgate starts to open but won't, it seems to catch and will not release fully. Other times it's completely dead, all switches will not open it. No clicks, nada. Then if I wait about 20 min it miraculously opens up normally. Also, when closing it there usually is a slam, then a click as it latches. Often there is the usual slam and no secondary latch click. Does this sound like a defective latch assy? I might just try it for $60 its money well spent.  

It very well could be your latch assembly. That said, mine is an SEL and yours is a Titanium so there may be some differences between the two. Good luck!