Whinning noise when letting off gas around 40 MPH

Edge 2016

So I have a 2016 3.5 V6 Edge with 91000 miles on it. Its been in the Ford servfice shop 5 times in 3 months to try and find this problem. So far the PTU, rear differential and the rear axel all have been replaced (still under drivetrain warranty). Still making the noise. Dealership said the rear differential was bad and making a noise as well but the replacement did not fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas? I guess they want to tear into transmission next. 

can you tell the location of the noise? for example, fuel pump will come from the rear/hatch area. ptu will come from front passenger side.  if you drive with windows up, you may want to lower them one at a time till you can more closely locate the sound.

when was transmission fluid last serviced?

can certainly be wheel bearings, so check if turning left/right makes a difference.  check for air leaks in the engine bay.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 1 month later...

this is the only transmission related bulletin i can find that might possibly apply for your vehicle

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ska26YITryYl1aUdEGh7cswf74xLeg_h/view?usp=sharing

i hope it is not this, as it is a serious matter, requiring transmission disassembly.  could be the pump also.  check the fluid to make sure it is pinkish red, at the right level, and clean.  maybe just low fluid ...

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

3 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Well since my first post the rear end has been replaced. The transmission has been replaced and the Power transfer unit has been replaced and it still is making the noise. Not as bad but it’s still there. The sound really sounds like it’s more in the front now. The dealership said there was damage to both the rear and the transmission. Transmission was tore apart and then replaced. This has all been under warranty. Warranty running out in about 7000 miles so I’d like to get this figured out soon. Dealership said they didn’t hear anything after the latest repair. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, enigma-2 said:

WWWPerfA_ZN0W mentioned wheel bearings. One way to test this is to decelerate from 40 and swerve from side to side. This unloads the bearing on the side opposite the swerve and may notice the whine get louder of softer.

No bearing. That was checked and given the okay.