Losing brake fluid - ABS module ?

Hi. I just bought a 2013 Edge w/72,000 miles on it. The dealership said that they replaced both the front and back brakes. I have had to refill the brake fluid reservoir 3 times in two weeks. The dealership says that it’s a bad ABS module but I can’t find anything that says leaking brake fluid is a sign of a bad module. The ABS warning light has never come on either.

Thank you for your help!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Icewiley said:

Hi. I just bought a 2013 Edge w/72,000 miles on it. The dealership said that they replaced both the front and back brakes. I have had to refill the brake fluid reservoir 3 times in two weeks. The dealership says that it’s a bad ABS module but I can’t find anything that says leaking brake fluid is a sign of a bad module. The ABS warning light has never come on either.

Thank you for your help!!

Did they inspect it and then tell you that or just tell you that when you brought it up to them?  If they didn't inspect it, they are just talking out of their ass.  You keep having to add brake fluid....there is a leak somewhere.  An inspection needs to be done.  Now if they inspected it and determined the ABS module is where the leak is, either things need to be tightened up or the bad part needs to be replaced.  Brakes are not something to mess around with.

• Like 3

• 1004ron changed the title to Losing brake fluid - ABS module ?

many things can leak.   brake hoses at the calipers or at the M/C / hcu, or the M/C into the booster. so def make sure the system is properly inspected.

btw, brake hoses original to the vehicle have almost NEVER been an issue on 2007-2014 MYs.  However, replacements, even OEM sometimes, have been problematic once or twice, especially at the M/C.

expect fluid level to go down in the reservoir as the pads wear. that is natural. what is not natural is sudden, large drops in fluid level. also, the fluid level should never be above the MAX line on the reservoir, except when performing a flush.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I knew that brake fluid will go down over time and I wasn’t concerned the first time the warning light came on about the brake fluid being low since the brakes had just be replaced, I thought maybe the dealership didn’t bleed them properly  but when I had to fill it up again a week later and then again two days later then I knew something was going on.

I’m taking it to my regular mechanic to see what he finds. The service department at the dealership telling that they’d split the cost with me just seemed weird to me, like they were trying to cover up something that should have been caught during the initial inspection.

Thanks your help!

On 8/31/2021 at 9:44 PM, Icewiley said:

I knew that brake fluid will go down over time and I wasn’t concerned the first time the warning light came on

That's only half correct - yes the fluid will go down just a little as the brake pads wear, but that will be no where near the low level warning.

There was a few posts here a while back about dealerships not knowing the correct bleed procedure of the ABS unit.