2016 6-speed VS 2019 8-speed

MNFlatland Edge

Greetings,

I have just picked up a clean 2016 with 54K on the clock. This would be my second Edge and always enjoyed them.

So after 1 week ownership the 2016 went back into the shop for a couple items to be fixed by the selling dealer and they loaned me a used 2019 off the lot.

The engines appear to be the same essentially, but the difference in performance and smoothness are blowing me away.

For those with experience, is the 2019 8 speed that much more improved over the 2016 6 speed transmission, or is something wrong with my 2016 ?  LOL

To me the difference is significant, and to date I have little experience with the overall 2.0 set-up from Ford.

Thanks ! 

The 2016 engine makes 245hp and 275lb. torque, while the 2019 has been tweaked to 250 and 280. With the addition of the 8 speed automatic, the combination has recorded better acceleration in all the road tests I have read.

I have the 2016, it's ok but from what I have read I wish I had the later version.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, MNFlatland Edge said:

Greetings,

I have just picked up a clean 2016 with 54K on the clock. This would be my second Edge and always enjoyed them.

So after 1 week ownership the 2016 went back into the shop for a couple items to be fixed by the selling dealer and they loaned me a used 2019 off the lot.

The engines appear to be the same essentially, but the difference in performance and smoothness are blowing me away.

For those with experience, is the 2019 8 speed that much more improved over the 2016 6 speed transmission, or is something wrong with my 2016 ?  LOL

To me the difference is significant, and to date I have little experience with the overall 2.0 set-up from Ford.

Thanks ! 

I had a 2013 edge... My 2020 has a 8spd. In a 2.0 titanium edition

My edge takes off in 2nd gear.. Putting it in sport mode at a stop the tech and gear indicator comes on.. Dropping it into 1st manually. Its a rocket up till shift time...looking it up it has a 4.69:1 1st gear.. Nothing can see me off the line till 20mph..haha. Wife bitched at the 52k 2.7l ST price...i paid 44k for mine..all options..ive got a 98 turbod svt cobra..for 20 years so I did.push it.

Its not worth buying a new car iver it or swapping trannies.. I done many gear swaps..8.8s are easy.. Maybe up your gears