caliper leak

2013 ford edge, while freeing up park brake cable on driver side rear  I noticed I have a small leak coming from behind parking brake linkage at caliper. if I tighten that linkage nut a bit , appears leak slows but I think it still has an ever so slight leak. is there a seal behind there that can be replaced or should I just replace that caliper? thank you.

A leaking caliper is dangerous. Speaking just for myself, I would never rebuild a caliper. (I knew a guy years ago that rebuilt one and it blew out 6 months later and caused a minor accidient). If it were me, I'd bite the bullet & replace the caliper. (And I'd go Motorcraft if available). Leaking brake fluid is always  dangerous.

• Like 1

Thanks for responding. Appears it has stopped leaking but I am checking it daily. If I see any ever so slight leak, I am going to replace it.  This is a rebuild with about 30k miles on it. but I had to get rough with a maul to free that sticking cable up.  

yes, and thanks for advice. I do maintain the pins etc.... i got a little over zealous trying to work that park cable free and caused that leak. Most of the time, the motorcraft branded parts are out of my budget. That being said, I am a big fan of FORD and also a ford retiree. Thanks again replacement parts scheduled for delivery Friday.

• 1 month later...

I have basically a similar issue. Rear left caliper is leaking (as confirmed by the dealer today). The brake goes basically to the floor, but car will still stop. If it's pumped one or 2 times, the pressure temporarily comes back for about a second, then back to the floor. I'm not driving it and left at the dealership.

My question is, what determines when the brake light indicator goes on? I would think with a fluid leak (or even when I needed the brake booster replaced), that a light on the dash would appear alerting there's a brake issue? The only time the brake light is ever on is when I use the emergency brake in the driveway when it's parked.

I have a 2012 Edge limited with approx 154k on it.

Thx.