Steering Assist Fault Service Required

Front Camera Malfunction Service Required

Shift Sys Fault

Pre-Collision not Available

Service Advance Trac

Parking Brake Malfunction Service Now

Check park Aid

911 Assist Not Operational

In the four feet I backed up, I noticed the power steering wasn't working.  I can't get it into a dealer for 19 days....no appointments available. Does anyone have a guess what I'm in for? Some of these alerts seem so unrelated. Thanks

This car has 44,000 miles on it - no previous problems (other than the lug-nuts -- I keep a box of 20 in the car).

BTW, go ahead and make jokes - I'm over my initial freak-out.

• 1004ron changed the title to Wow - 2019 - multiple fault indications - 8 alerts
4 hours ago, mrthejuice said:

Even though I could start it?  I put a meter on it -  12.44 volts resting.  

I certainly have plenty of time to change the battery before I can find someone to look at it - plus I could change the air filter too (wink).

Thanks

Yes even though it still starts and has 12 volts.  They rarely last more than 4 years in newer vehicles.  It causes strange electrical problems.  Look at it this way - if that’s not it you’ve rule out one big thing and you’re good to go for another 3-4 years,

Or get it tested with a digital cca tester not an old style load tester.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

A LOT of bad batteries can test ok depending on how they are tested.  If it’s more than 3 yrs old there is a 90% chance it needs to be replaced anyway.

It's always best to confirm something is bad before replacing it. If I followed your advice I would have replaced my Mustang battery 3 times and contemplating a 4th by now.

It' on the original and testing at 85%.

Edited by handfiler
grammar

14 hours ago, handfiler said:

It's always best to confirm something is bad before replacing it. If I followed your advice I would have replaced my Mustang battery 3 times and contemplating a 4th by now.

It' on the original and testing at 85%.

You are the rare exception.  

I agree it’s best to test it but there are so many reports of bad batteries testing ok because the shop is using the old style testers that don’t work on newer batteries.  I use a solar ba-7 to check CCA capacity.  

However it’s still true that at least 90% of the time of the battery is more than 3 yrs old and you have strange electrical issues, it’s the battery.  So if you can’t get it properly tested replacing it has good odds.

Took the battery out and took it to O'Riley's and Advance AutoParts - battery tested good.

This is weird, too: I put the battery back in and on my restart and idle test I noticed the wipers weren't working either. It has to be electrical, but what would cover all these unrelated items?

Still haven't really tried to drive it.  Can I even drive this to the Dealership without power steering (about two miles)? How did they ever steer a car in the old days??

Is it cranking at normal speed?

Does it start promptly, idle good, and rev normally?

If the answer those questions is YES, then measure the charging voltage with it running, and if that's where it needs to be, then you start the next diagnostic step.

Start with the simple things, check all fuses with a multimeter (not visual), all grounding and power connections, .....

" battery tested good" - that doesn't tell us much - what was the measured CCA compared to what's on the label, the voltage drop when cranking, charging voltage, and ripple - these are all test results that my tester presents, and expect the shop should have the same or better.

2019 at 44K miles - IIRC the bumper to bumper warranty ended at 36K miles - you could still approach the selling dealership and request good will, or do you have any extended warranty?

5 hours ago, akirby said:

You are the rare exception.  

I agree it’s best to test it but there are so many reports of bad batteries testing ok because the shop is using the old style testers that don’t work on newer batteries.  I use a solar ba-7 to check CCA capacity.  

However it’s still true that at least 90% of the time of the battery is more than 3 yrs old and you have strange electrical issues, it’s the battery.  So if you can’t get it properly tested replacing it has good odds.

Possibly. I think that in my case it's mainly due to low useage, a climate controlled garage and a Battery Tender for each vehicle.

My Malibu is outside year round and went 10 years on the OEM battery, my Harley went 9 years. I have a Solar BA9 to test them.

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

Possibly. I think that in my case it's mainly due to low useage, a climate controlled garage and a Battery Tender for each vehicle.

My Malibu is outside year round and went 10 years on the OEM battery, my Harley went 9 years. I have a Solar BA9 to test them.

You’re also in Canada.  Hot weather and humidity in the South is a totally different environment.

I guess it wasn't too smart of me not to get the accurate test results. 

I was thrilled the guy at O'Riley's said it was okay after putting it in his box - I assumed we would try to sell me one and didn't have  Motorcraft in stock. I stopped at AutoZone just to be sure.   My dealer didn't have this battery in stock. The Battery is a Motorcraft BAGM48H6760.

This morning it was 12.05 volts with my cheap multimeter (this is the lowest I've seen it - usually it's around 12.11). Starting the car it never went below 10 volts.  While running it was 14.85. Shutting the car off it's at 12.59.

Car starts and runs normally.

The battery light is not on with all the other alert lights.

I've tested all the fuses in both spots under the hood. Can't access the ones under the dash. Trying to see what has to be removed to get to them

I swapped out the most common relays with a new one to try and test those. I thought one might control these multiple systems which would give me this problem.

It's not just a river in Egypt...

Look, you will eventually need to replace the battery, I would save myself the headaches and replace the battery already.
There are a lot of posts on this forum about weird random electrical issues that have all been resolved by replacing the battery.

Myself included.  In my 2011, a battery never made it past the 24 month full replacement warranty.  My 2019 Just had a cracked battery replaced under warranty.
If you still have issues then you've eliminated a possibility and you don't have to worry about the battery being the problem.  YMMV.

9 times out of 10, multiple unrelated faults like that are a voltage issue.  Even if the battery terminals look good, clean them anyway.  If it still does it, swap out the battery.  You don't have to install a Motorcraft battery. I have a battery from O'Reilly Auto in my 2016.  If you have a friend that has a comparable battery in their vehicle and they are willing, try sticking theirs in your car for a test.

• Like 1

New Diehard battery installed...  some things changed.

Lost these alerts:

Park Brake Malfunction Service now

Check Park Aid

Gained these alerts:

Hill Park Assist Not Available

These alerts remained:

Service Advance Trac

I can navigate with the Display Buttons now - before they were locked up.

6 hours ago, mrthejuice said:

New Diehard battery installed...  some things changed.

Lost these alerts:

Park Brake Malfunction Service now

Check Park Aid

Gained these alerts:

Hill Park Assist Not Available

These alerts remained:

Service Advance Trac

I can navigate with the Display Buttons now - before they were locked up.

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Was the BMS reset?

3 hours ago, mrthejuice said:

No, I didn't reset BMS. I thought it just had to sit for 8 hours. Can I do that manually, fog lights 5 times, hazard three times or do I need a scan tool?

Thanks

I think either way will work.  It does need to be performed though.  Try it manually and I bet you're good to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on these alerts: Critter Chew

I got my car into a dealership that had an opening/scheduling screw-up.  It was good news for me because that was a full week and a half earlier than scheduled. They found the cable going to the power steering had been chewed through. I park outside. I think it had to be opossum or raccoon because of the thickness of the harness, but the openings on the splash shield are so small. Anyway, back on the road. Thanks for everyone's help.

PS The manual battery reset for the 2019 Edge is: "Car not started. Ignition and lights on, brights five times, brakes three times. Battery light will blink." But I think I would use a scan tool.

• Like 2