Sync 4A disasters, am I the only one?

Hi folks,

Have been moderately involved with the front camera issue on my ‘21 ST both here and on social media, and I am curious if any of you have had other issues similar to mine (listed below).

We had a ‘16 Edge Sport, followed by a ‘19 ST, and the cars were on Sync 3 which IMHO was perfect and one of the more useful, responsive systems on the market. I am just about ready to toss this car out now.

Other non-camera, infotainment issues:

- Navigation becomes a nervous wreck, suddenly changing routes on the dash (Navigation display, next to speedo): it will change turn info/distance/street name 3-4 times a second (kind of funny, but kind of irritating, happens once in a while). 

- When vehicle is remote started and heat comes on, once we hit the ignition and the Sync system boots up, the seat heater and steering wheel heater will refuse to turn off. You can hit the buttons, they will slide/change to off, but once you return to the main screen they show everything still on.  Repeat as many times as you like, the system will argue with you. In fact, if you turn the wheel heater before you do the seat heater slider, the wheel heater button will fight you and just keep going back to red. Again, funny, but eventually irritating. (Happens 99% of the time)

- Radio off button does not work and radio will not turn off.  System eventually crashes then lets you do it after a few minutes. (Not as frequent)

- Hissing from speakers when you hit the S button.  Sounds a bit like a faint fan running.  Good ole fake engine synth not working as intended, I presume? (Every time)

- New thing happened today: sudden bang from the back of the car like I blew a tire and the belt smacked into the wheel well, leading to a momentary panic, followed by the radio blasting on 5 seconds later.

I have considered an Explorer ST but I drive my cars hard and am not impressed with the ‘22 missing massaging seats, missing differential bolt (and brake fix), and the propensity to lose blocks, seems like a few folks have been having failures.  Thought of an Expedition Stealth or Timberline pack but the vertical Sync screen and Sync 4 tell me that I would be happier walking through the front door of my local police station, in the nude, claiming that I know where they buried Jimmy Hoffa…. The next 3 years in a straightjacket might be more pleasant than another 36 month lease with Sync4.

In late February, Ford issued a Technical Service Bulletin exclusively for 2021 Edge/Nautilus to address a laundry list of Sync 4 problems that surfaced in vehicles lacking an over-the-air APIM/Sync Module update.

Determining if the TSB applies is accomplished by looking up the vehicle's OTA Update Dashboard for the most recent APIM/Sync Module update timing.

You might try contacting your dealer and have them pull up your Edge's APIM/Sync Module update history & OASIS Sync Service histories, to see if this TSB service action might solve your Edge's Sync troubles. 

If the TSB applies, the repair requires a visit to the dealership with the vehicle and both keyfobs.

Below is a PDF download link to the document...

TSB 22-2062 2021 Edge-Nautilus Various Sync Concerns - February 25, 2022.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The only problems so far with my 2022 ST Sync 4A is that it does not remember my Alexa login after a few restarts and also does not hold my Ambient Lighting setting to stay turned on.  Like the two settings reset after a few starts.  Never has held either setting for more that two days time.  

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

The only problems so far with my 2022 ST Sync 4A is that it does not remember my Alexa login after a few restarts and also does not hold my Ambient Lighting setting to stay turned on.  Like the two settings reset after a few starts.  Never has held either setting for more that two days time.  

My 22 ST does the same thing with the Ambient Lighting.  After a couple of days it always turns itself off.  I just got an update yesterday, so I'll see after a couple of days if that did anything.

3 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

I've noticed the same thing with Alexa.  I don't think it's supposed to do that.  In your Amazon account, you will see the original registration date when you set it up in Sync.  But the car doesn't retain it.  I keep QR Droid on my phone's home screen.  If I take a lengthy trip where I might want Alexa, I can re-enable it quickly.  It's annoying but I've gotten used to it.  QR Droid is your friend if you want to use Alexa.  ?

I'm not a nighttime driver so the Ambient Lighting isn't such an annoyance.  Seems like @Haz posted some info about Ambient Lighting in another thread. 

My last two Fords have had Sync (3 and 4A).  It's buggy as hell sometimes and I've conditioned myself to not let it stress me out.  ?