Fill Up Issues and Trip Display Needs Tweak

First, My 2020 Edge has a fill-up issue.  Unlike my previous 2013 Edge, this 2020 is very touchy when filling up the tank. If you don't hold the nozzle "just so" it will continually click off. If you find the sweet spot it will fill up before clicking off, but when it clicks off there is still 2-3 gallons that can be added. In order to get close to an actual full tank you have to carefully "Spoon feed" it as slow as the pump will go and you can get another couple of gallons in the tank. My 2013 would click off very close to actual full and then I would just hit it again with full pump flow and the second click off was pretty full. Gas mileage calculations were very consistent as well because it would always click off at the same full level.  The 2020 is a pain to fill up and always exceeds the amount of fuel I've burned based on dividing the displayed MPG into the miles driven.  The car is under warranty and this fill-up issue doesn't seem right. Any suggestions??

Second, on my 2020 the trip odometer shows the miles I've driven since reset which I do at every fill up, the MPG, and the elapsed time since the last reset which I find to be useless.  My 2013 had all of those plus it showed the gallons used, which I find to be very useful and that tells me how many gallons to expect to pump to get it to actual full again.  Is there a way to tweak the software to add the gallons used to my 2020?  If you can't add a 4th line (like my 2013 has) I could certainly replace the elapsed time line with gallons used, which is much more useful to me.

Here's pictures of the trip display for my 2013 and 2020 - note the "gallons" line on the 2013, indicating the amount of fuel used since the last reset -

2013 Trip Display --

1593744004_2013EdgeMPG.thumb.JPG.4733717c7bab9f0e0ac6b04a88814e9c.JPG

2020 Trip Display --

!1315405688_2020edgedisplay.png.20170558d9c168b40f6eeab9c4baed26.png

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Dr. Evil

My car is also way off. I thought I only had a 16 gallon tank until I looked it up. I dont think I'm having only filling partially I just think the needle is wrong.

Btw, can I saw how sad it makes me that the 2022 Edge (same as our 2020s) dash cluster is basically the same as the 2013s... :(

On 8/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, Vanquished said:

My car is also way off. I thought I only had a 16 gallon tank until I looked it up. I dont think I'm having only filling partially I just think the needle is wrong.

Btw, can I saw how sad it makes me that the 2022 Edge (same as our 2020s) dash cluster is basically the same as the 2013s... :(

Manual states its 18.4 gallons for FWD, 18.5 gallons for AWD.

How far off is your gauge?

On 8/9/2022 at 6:52 PM, enigma-2 said:

Manual states its 18.4 gallons for FWD, 18.5 gallons for AWD.

How far off is your gauge?

I'd say it thinks I have a 16 gallon tank. I think the car assumes I get worse mileage then I do. Maybe it's assuming I'm on 87 octane and no 93 all the time? Around town it thinks I get 13mpg, on the highway 22/23 is the norm. Honestly I haven't driven it close to empty in a long time so idk if the problem is still there but in February of this year (last time the car had less than indicated half a tank), it was. It showed I had under 10 miles left of DTE but when I filled up it only gave me 15.X gallons and that was after a tank full of highway driving with mpg reset so it should have calculated based on 23mpg or so. The other day I went to fill up just because and it only let me put in .4 gallons in but even after the "needle" wasn't full

20220710_092640.jpg

The 2020 Edge Workshop Manual offers descriptions of Dealer Test Mode / Engineering Test Mode, analog fuel gauge operation, and an informative introduction to a diagnostic Pinpoint Test relating to incorrect or fluctuating Distance To Empty values...

==============

Dealer Test Mode

NOTE: The table lists the displays as they appear when navigating using the down arrow button.

To enter the IPC engineering test mode or dealer test mode, begin with the ignition OFF. Press and hold the LH steering wheel switch OK button. Place the ignition ON and continue to hold the button for 5-8 seconds until the display indicates Test or Gauge Sweep. Press the up or down arrow buttons to navigate through each of the display windows. To exit the IPC dealer test mode, press and hold the OK button for 5-8 seconds or place the ignition in OFF. Each down arrow button press advances the viewing window to the next set of items.

IPC Display Description
  • Engineering Test
  • Mode
  •  
  • Use Right
  • Up/Down
  • to scroll screens
Initial entry display into the dealer test mode.
  • ANALOG GAUGE
  • TEST
Carries out the gauge sweep of the analog gauges. When the sweep (zero to maximum then return to zero) is complete, the actual data is displayed.
  • TELLTALE AND
  • COLOR TEST
Illuminates all cluster microprocessor controlled LED telltales or indicators. Also displays a color palette of boxes below the title.
  • PartNo: xxxx-xx
  • Core: xxxx-xx
  • Cal#1: xxxx-xx
  • ECU S/W: xxxx-xx
Displays the IPC part number information.
  • Man Date: xxxxxx
  • B&A Config Bytes
  • xx xx xx xx xx
  • xx xx xx xx xx
  • Displays the manufacturing information.
  • Date in the format of YYMMDD.
  • B&A configuration bytes
  • DTC: HIST CURR
  • xxxxxx x x
  • xxxxxx x x
Displays all of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set (history and current Diagnostic Trouble Codes [DTCs]). An X in the HIST or CURR column means the DTC is active. Three Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) display on each screen. If more Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present, there will be additional screens listing them. If there are no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in history or current, the display will only be the title row.
  • Vehicle Speed:
  • xxx.x km/h
  • xxx.x MPH
  • Tach: xxxx RPM
  • NOTE: These are the filtered values used to drive the gauge positions, not the actual positions.

Displays the digital representation of the speedometer gauge in mph and km/h.
  • Inst Fuel: xxxx
  • FLPM: xxxx.xx
Displays the instant fuel level and filtered fuel level in percent. This is used for a single sender fuel level input.
  • Inst Fuel1: xxxx
Displays the instant fuel level and filtered fuel level in percent. This is used for the fuel pump assembly input on a dual sender fuel tank configuration.
  • Inst Fuel2: xxxx
Displays the instant fuel level and filtered fuel level in percent. This is used for the fuel level sensor input on a dual sender fuel tank configuration.
  • DTE: Inst 01 Disp
  • km xxx xxx xxx
  • mi xxx xxx xxx
Displays the values used for calculating the DTE function.
  • RAFE RAFE_01
  • xxx.x xxx.x 1/100km
  • xxx.x xxx.x MPG
  • xxx.x xxx.x km/l
Displays the running average fuel economy. The values are derived from the DTE function.
  • State Val #ofVS
  • Szero: xxxx xxxx
  • Off: xxxx xxxx
  • On: xxxx xxxx
Displays the key ON initialization, key OFF reference, and zero speed reference fuel level values in fuel level for a single sender fuel level input.
  • State Val #ofVS
  • Szero1: xxxx xxxx
Displays the key ON initialization, key OFF reference, and zero speed reference fuel level values in fuel level for the fuel pump assembly input on a dual sender fuel tank configuration.
  • State Val #ofVS
  • Szero2: xxxx xxxx
Displays the key ON initialization, key OFF reference, and zero speed reference fuel level values in fuel level for the fuel level sensor input on a dual sender fuel tank configuration.
  • Coolant Temp (°C):
  • xxx
Displays the digital representation of the coolant temperature gauge indication in degrees Celsius.
  • Odo cnts: xx
  • Trip A: xxxxx.x km
  • Trip A: xxxxx.x mi
Displays the values from the odometer count signal and the trip A statistics.
  • Odo cnts: xx
  • Trip B: xxxxx.x km
  • Trip B: xxxxx.x mi
Displays the values from the odometer count signal and the trip B statistics.
  • Fuel cnts: xxx
  • Fuel A: xxxxx.x l
  • Fuel A: xxxxx.x g
Displays the values of the fuel flow display signal from the PCM and the approximate fuel used for the trip stats A.
  • Fuel cnts: xxx
  • Fuel B: xxxxx.x l
  • Fuel B: xxxxx.x g
Displays the values of the fuel flow display signal from the PCM and the approximate fuel used for the trip stats B.
  • Battery: xx.xV
  • Compass: xx
  • Last Chime: xx
  • Displays the current battery level.
  • Displays the compass direction.
  • Displays the number of the last chime sounded.
  • Dim Step: xx
  • Dim Gauge: xxxxx
  • Dim Pointer: xxxxx
  • Displays the first screen of dimming information.
  • Dim step is the dimming level.
  • Dim gauge is the internal illumination number for the gauge backlighting (1 to 10,000).
  • Dim pointer is the internal illumination number for the gauge pointer backlighting (1 to 10,000).
  • Dim Step: xx
  • Dim PRNDL: xxxxx
  • Dim Display: xxxxx
  • Displays the second screen of dimming information.
  • Dim step is dimming level.
  • Dim PRNDL is the internal illumination number for PRNDL backlighting (1 to 10,000).
  • Dim display is the internal illumination number for the display backlighting (1 to 10,000).
  • PDS: x
  • LWS: x
Park detect switch (0 = open/not park, 1 = closed/park).
  • Engineering Test
  • Mode
  •  
  • Use Right
  • Up/Down
  • to scroll screens
Repeats the test display cycle.

============

Analog Gauges

Fuel Gauge

The IPC sends a reference voltage to the fuel level sender(s). As the fuel level changes, a float actuates the variable resistor fuel level sender, raising or lowering the fuel level signal voltage. The IPC monitors the changes in voltage from both senders and commands the fuel gauge with a corresponding movement of the pointer.

After a fuel fill up, the time for the fuel gauge to move from empty (E) to full (F) ranges from 2 seconds to 55 minutes depending on which operating mode the fuel gauge is in.

The IPC uses 4 different operating modes to calculate the fuel level:

• Anti-slosh (default mode)
  • Key OFF fueling
  • Key ON fueling
  • Recovery

The default fuel gauge mode is called the anti-slosh mode. To prevent fuel gauge changes from fuel slosh (gauge instability due to changes in fuel sensor readings caused by fuel moving around in the tank), the fuel gauge takes approximately 40 minutes to go from empty (E) to full (F).

The key OFF fueling mode (2 seconds to read empty [E] to full [F]) requires 3 conditions to be met:

• The ignition must be in the OFF mode when refueling the vehicle.
  • At least 6% of the vehicle's fuel capacity must be added to the fuel tank.
  • The IPC must receive a valid ignition ON fuel sensor reading within one second of the ignition being put into the RUN mode. The key ON sample readings are considered valid if the fuel sensor reading is between 10 ohms ± 2 ohms and 180 ohms ± 4 ohms.

If these conditions are not met, the fuel gauge stays in the anti-slosh mode, which results in a slow to read full (F) event.

The key ON fueling mode (approximately 60 seconds to read empty [E] to full [F]) requires the following conditions be met:

• The transmission is in PARK (P) or NEUTRAL (N).
  • The ignition is in the RUN mode.
  • At least 6% of the vehicle's fuel capacity must be added to the fuel tank

In key ON fueling mode, a 30-second timer activates after the transmission is put into the PARK (P) or NEUTRAL (N) position. When the 30-second time has elapsed and at least 9% of the vehicle's fuel capacity has been added, the fuel gauge response time is 60 seconds to read from empty (E) to full (F). When the transmission is shifted out of PARK (P) or NEUTRAL (N), the fuel gauge strategy reverts to the anti-slosh mode. The key ON fueling mode prevents slow to read full events from happening if the customer refuels the vehicle with the ignition in the RUN mode.

Recovery mode is incorporated into the IPC strategy to recover from a missing fuel level input after a refueling event. Missing fuel level inputs result from intermittent opens in the fuel sensor or its circuits. Recovery mode (empty [E] to full [F] approximately 17 minutes) is initiated when the following 2 conditions are met:

• The IPC is in the anti-slosh (default) mode.
  • The actual fuel level in the tank is 5% different from what is being displayed by the fuel gauge.

===============

Fuel Level Sender

The fuel level sender is mounted to the fuel pump and sender unit or the fuel level sensor. The fuel level sender is a dual sweep potentiometer style resistor connected to a float mechanism. The dual sweep design provides a second resistance measurement that reduces the intermittent loss of data due to corrosion between the resistor wires and the sweep arm. As the fuel level changes, the float rises or falls with the fuel level moving the sweep arm across the resistor wires. This movement either increases or decreases the resistance through the unit. The fuel level sensor resistance ranges from 180 ohms ± 4 ohms at empty (E) to 10 ohms ± 2 ohms at full (F). When the fuel level is low, the fuel level sensor resistance is high. When the fuel level is high, the fuel level sensor resistance is low.

Both the fuel pump and sender unit and fuel level sensor are hardwired to the IPC through separate signal and return circuits. The fuel level return circuits are grounded internally in the IPC . The IPC provides a reference voltage on the fuel level signal circuit. As the fuel level changes, the change in resistance raises or lowers the fuel level signal voltage depending on the resistance of the fuel level sender.

==================================

The DTE Display Is Incorrect Or Fluctuates

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

NOTE: The DTE display and the fuel gauge both use the fuel level input from the fuel tank to provide their respective functions. If the fuel gauge doesn't function correctly, both the fuel gauge and the DTE display are affected.

NOTE: The actual DTE can be higher or lower than the DTE displayed in the message center due to changes in driving conditions. It is important to understand how the DTE is calculated and the factors that impact the DTE display when determining how to address any DTE concerns.

The DTE is calculated in the IPC using the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE), which is the fuel economy over a much longer distance than the Instantaneous Fuel Economy (IFE), and the fuel level input from the fuel sender(s) to determine how many miles the vehicle can be driven based on the remaining fuel in the tank.

NOTE: Even if the fuel economy is relatively constant, the DTE can vary in the short term by up to 50 miles, but is usually within 10 miles.

The IPC defaults to a base programmed fuel economy when the battery is initially connected and adjusts upward or downward based on driving habits and conditions.

Since the DTE is calculated and averaged over a longer period of time, varying driving conditions can have a significant impact on the current or short term DTE as opposed to the displayed DTE . This difference often leads to customer complaints of incorrect or invalid DTE .

The following list provides some (not all) of the driving conditions that may lead to an incorrect or fluctuating DTE concern:

• Changing between towing/not towing
  • Changing driving between city and highway
  • Allowing the vehicle to idle for long periods of time
  • Using the remote start feature (if equipped) frequently or allowing the vehicle to warm up, particularly when parked on a grade
  • Parking or driving on grades
  • Not using a type of fuel (E85 or non-ethanol based) consistently
  • Over-fueling or not filling the tank completely (partial refueling)

To better illustrate the affects of how driving conditions can affect DTE , please refer to the examples below.

The example below illustrates how the following observations are normal and expected since the low fuel reminder is triggered from a fuel volume and not from a fixed distance to empty.

If while driving, the low fuel reminder (low fuel indicator and low fuel warning message) displays when the DTE equals 94.4 km (59 miles) and the driver adds 11.36 L (3 gallons) of fuel, the new DTE may become 124.8 km (78 miles). After continued driving, the low fuel reminder may now display when the DTE equals 83.2 km (52 miles).

The next example (below) illustrates what occurs when idling on an incline. In this example, the customer should be made aware of how the condition will correct after a few minutes of idling on a level surface.

If the customer stops and parks the vehicle on an incline in a driveway, then in the morning remote starts the vehicle, allowing the engine to idle, the DTE may now equal 184 km (115 miles). As the customer drives, the low fuel reminder displays when the DTE equals 148.8 km (93 miles). Finally, after 5 more minutes of driving, the DTE is back to 80 km (50 miles).

In this example, the fuel gauge and the DTE display can be out of sync, but self-corrects after several minutes of driving.

Possible Sources

• BCM concern
  • Fuel gauge concern
  • Changes in driving conditions such as:
    • towing
    • extended idle times
    • parking on any grades
    • alcohol in the fuel
    • refueling patterns
  • IPC configuration

Visual Inspection and Diagnostic Prechecks

Make sure to record the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE) prior to disconnecting the battery, removing the IPC fuse 13 (7.5A). If any of the previous conditions occur, the vehicle must be driven over time to allow the DTE calculations to adjust.

PINPOINT TEST AD: THE DTE (DISTANCE TO EMPTY) DISPLAY IS INCORRECT OR FLUCTUATES

AD1 REVIEW AND INVESTIGATE THE FOLLOWING DRIVING CONDITIONS WITH THE CUSTOMER

• Determine whether the driver changes the following driving conditions:
    • changing between towing/not towing, city/highway driving
    • use of extended idle times
    • use of remote start frequently (if equipped)
    • parking/driving on grades
    • use of E85 fuel exclusively or switching to non-Ethanol fuel
    • over filling the fuel tank or not filling the tank completely (partial refueling)

Does the driver change driving conditions?

Yes Advise the customer how changing driving conditions can affect the current short-term DTE as opposed to the displayed long-term DTE .

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely BS. Did it again, said I was down an eight of a tank, only let me put in 0.4gallons, I kept squeezing it to get another half gallon in this time (I know, you're not supposed to) and it sti said 7/8ths. The problem only seems to be when I fill up when it's almost full. I don't care too much, just need to realize that the gauge is garbage and that it rounds down. Feel bad for anyone who gets an edge as a rental car, gonna have to pay extra for not filling it up.