no crank + security light flashing (rapid-1-6) + OBD connection failure

My 2010 Edge suddenly failed to start.  With the key out of the ignition, the security light on the dash flashes every few seconds as it always has.  With the key in and ignition in the on position, the security light flashes rapidly - a few times/second - for 1 minute then it flashes a sequence of one flash, then about 2 seconds later six flashes and then repeats that sequence.  I've seen posts here and across the internet on that 1-6 sequence and have tried a few of the recommendations for that including moving the shifter and trying to start in Neutral and also replacing a few parts, pulling parts from a salvage car including the ignition key sensor (immobilizer) and the in-car junction/fuse box (I think that's also the BCM and remote entry sensor).  None of those changed anything at all.  It's possible that those parts were damaged on the salvage car, but they don't show any signs of damage.

Also, I have two OBD readers, but both report a connection error when I plug them in.  The OBD port has power.  Even so, I looked at the under-hood fuses - especially fuse 17 for the cigar lighter/power port - and they look and test fine.

1)  Any ideas of what to evaluate next?

2)  Does the OBD connection go dead if the car is in a security lockout condition?

3)  Or, is the security lockout/light flashing possibly the result of the computer not being readable?

4)  Are there any relays that could be involved with this?  I can easily test the fuses, but relays are more of a trial and error situation.

5)  I have the PCM (under hood fuse box) from the salvage car, but connecting it would be a long process since it doesn't have block connectors and the salvage yard made me pull all the fuses and relays, so, I'd have to connect all the wires and transfer the fuses and relays and I wanted to get the Forum's opinion on that being a possible solution before I try that.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Below are relevant sections of the 2010 Edge Workshop Manual as PDF download links...

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Description and Operation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Parameter Reset - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Anti-Theft Security Access - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Key Programming Switch State Control - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKT) Key Programming Using Diagnostic Equipment - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Transceiver Removal and Installation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Transceiver Connector C252 Location Illustration - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) - Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Transceiver Connector C252 Details - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Instrument Cluster (IC) - Description and Operation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Instrument Cluster (IC) - Removal and Installation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Instrument Cluster (IC) - Connector C220 Location Illustration - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Instrument Cluster (IC) - Connector C220 Details - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Communications Network - Description and Operation - 2010 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

File attachment limitations prevent me from including a 139-page Communication Network diagnostic document, so I have sent you an alternate-source download link via the Forum Message system.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

For some unknown reason, the anti-thief system activated and is refusing to allow the system to go through the start process.

There are so many things that can cause this, the only way that you will be able to narrow it down, is to pull codes.

As you are having problems doing so, probably best to have the car trucked in to the dealer so he can go through the systematic troubleshooting process. 

5 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

For some unknown reason, the anti-thief system activated and is refusing to allow the system to go through the start process.

There are so many things that can cause this, the only way that you will be able to narrow it down, is to pull codes.

As you are having problems doing so, probably best to have the car trucked in to the dealer so he can go through the systematic troubleshooting process. 

Ugh...  Yeah, I think you're right.  I'm examining the info that Haz posted, but it's looking like this one has to be at least evaluated by the shop.

Thanks!

lets start from the beginning:

1. mileage
  2. ownership history
  3. maintenance and modification history
  4. why was a salvage car being used to fix issues on your vehicle

normally, a fast flashing PATS light is a sure sign of fob failure.

not sure why the OBD port is not working, but usually it is not turned off by the vehicle. more likely either a physical wiring/fuse related problem or at some point an aftermarket immobilizer or similar device was installed.

have never seen the PATS light flash that 1-6 sequence.  the CEL used to be used to flash codes in the days of OBD1. the HVAC module (dual) on this platform still does. but not PATS.

have you verified that the vehicle battery is good? voltage and Cold Cranking Amps.

• Like 1