Tires for Snow?

dmchord

Hi all, 

Just bought a ‘13 Edge Sport with FWD. It has 22” wheels and currently Toyo Proxes ST III’s on it that seem to be in good shape. I’ve never had a tire with such little sidewalls, and I’m wondering if I need to make some changes before winter. Cost is definitely a factor. They are apparently all season, and I’m not planning on off-roading in the snow, but there are a couple of mountain passes that I could need to go over in winter,  and sometimes I need to be on the road before the plows come out. (Not super-snowy where I am in Coeur d’Alene, but we get our share.) I’m used to the Cooper Discoverer AT3’s I had on my Escape, with which I never even thought about snow. Getting 18” or 20” wheels AND winter tires would break the bank. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

On 8/22/2022 at 11:10 PM, dmchord said:

Cost is definitely a factor.

. Getting 18” or 20” wheels AND winter tires would break the bank. Any suggestions?

This is going ro sound douchey.. but what is your safety worth to you? 

Spend the money on good tires on cheap steel wheels and consider it an investment in your health.

Just my opinion 

Going to 18" wheels will be cheaper in total cost

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1