Roof Rack / Rails on newer Edge with Vista Sunroof

I have a 2010 Ford Edge with the big panoramic vista sunroof.  I purchased and installed the OEM roof rails so that I could put roof racks on.  It easy to do, just removed a trim strip and put in the rails, it worked great.  I am looking to buy a new Edge, again with the panoramic vista sunroof but it appears that putting a roof rack on is a bit more challenging.  I saw an old rack attack blog post (https://www.rackattack.com/blog/ford-edge-with-panoramic-vista-roof-and-roof-rack/) where they talk about  installing a Thule Top-Track with Flare-Nuts on an Edge with the Vista Sunroof.  This would involve drilling into the roof, which I would be fine with BUT it appears to me that there is a strip of glass the runs along either side of the vista roof.  Is this correct? Can any owners of 2019 or latter Edges tell me what is the material of the strip that runs along the edges of the sunroof?  

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2022 at 6:20 PM, Haz said:

@scguru92's advice and photos are the best I've seen on this subject for GEN 1 owners...

Installed Factory/Thule roof rack on a vista BAMR

For tamuin, the trim panels adjacent to GEN 2 Vista roof panels are actually sheet metal, as described in this past discussion.

Good luck!

What do you mean by Gen 1 and Gen 2?

2 hours ago, Chileno said:

What do you mean by Gen 1 and Gen 2?

Gen 1 Edge is for model years 2007 to 2014 (years 2011 to 2014 are also referred to as Gen 1.5 as they had a significant face-lift).

Gen 2 Edge is 2015+ model years as I. 2015 the Edge was completely redesigned. Most parts are new. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 12:29 PM, Sunnyorlando said:

Is there a manual override for closing the vista sunroof in case of motor failure? From past experience, I  know some vehicles include a manual crank override that can be used to close it. Does this sunroof have that?

Yes there is... but its not in an easy access spot. You'll have to drop the headliner in the rear near the lift gate. The sunroof motor is back there. You will see 2 motors, one for the Vista roof, and one for the fixed glass shade. The vista roof motor is the one closer to the passenger side. The center of the motor is a hex socket, I think I used a 4mm hex key to rotate the motor manually... much like a garbage disposal when stuck. I have attached 2 photos. First is of the location of the motor under the headliner, and second is the hex socket for the manual crank. 

Inked2011-05-05_135248_moon2.jpg

InkedSunroof Motor.jpg

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Emayers04 said:

Yes there is... but its not in an easy access spot. You'll have to drop the headliner in the rear near the lift gate. The sunroof motor is back there. You will see 2 motors, one for the Vista roof, and one for the fixed glass shade. The vista roof motor is the one closer to the passenger side. The center of the motor is a hex socket, I think I used a 4mm hex key to rotate the motor manually... much like a garbage disposal when stuck. I have attached 2 photos. First is of the location of the motor under the headliner, and second is the hex socket for the manual crank. 

Thank you! This is good information that one hopes to never use. I have in the past with another vehicle and it I found it in the owner's manual, though I have not seen it in this Edge's manual - I may have missed it, or maybe Ford doesn't think it will even be needed - thought they did include the hex hole.

Edited by 1004ron

• 11 months later...