TPMS sensor error - sensor battery life ?

1004ron

Generally the battery is good for ~10 years, so you might be at the end of life for one or them all.

I finally had an intermittent one in a 2010 Fusion, but so far they are still working in my 2012. Personally I buy very cheap sets off Amazon (for the 2010, for spare winter rims and tires for 2015 Fusion) and they work at as long as the life of the tires so far.

Is it a solid TPMS light indicating a low tire, or a blinking one and saying system fault? There are other reasons for faults, my 2017 Escape gave intermittent issues due to a dash cam, then due to a cheapo USB power point (also affected keyless entry distance, needed to be within 5 feet to unlock).

• Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to TPMS sensor error - sensor battery life ?
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a TPMS system fault showing on my 2013 Ford Edge Sport, its been sat for a while and this could be part of it... but the car is at an age where the sensors will go south due to old age. I am getting fault B124D:02 indicating 1-3 sensors are failing, however the service manual and Pinpoint Test G says it could also be the TPMS module itself under this code. Waiting on a TPMS wake/teaching tool coming, believe it can also be done with letting air out, I also understand that Forscan isnt as precise as the ford scanning tool for this but there are workarounds. 

I have tried pulling the tags on the oscilloscope and dashboard functions to help with pinpointing the issue, I am not seeing any sensors at all however. I have also tried changing the fuse (fuse blades were oxidised) and driving for 20mins, no joy. The screen grabs below are from my testing, leaning towards the TPMS module itself but wanted to check with the community to be sure I was on the right track. 

Please see below screen grabs, appreciate your feedback.   

https://imgur.com/a/dcfWtPb

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 weeks later...

Your sensor batteries are failing. You're at the end of the 10 year lifespan. 

When I replaced mine, I used Motorcraft, but the cost is a 2x. Problem with aftermarket is they work when new, but have a reputation for failing after 6 mos or more. Then you're back to square one. Probably depends on brand. You pay more with Motorcraft but you know they will hold up for ten years. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up ordering 4 Schraders on Amazon for $29.00 each. Looks like they were take-offs and were all manufactured around July of 2023.  Was gonna replace them myself but it was too cold so I had Discount Tire swap them out for $88.00.  Originals were manufactured in August of 2010 so just over 13 years before the first one died. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 7:06 PM, 1004ron said:

On 12/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, fishx65 said:

Just had my first TPMS sensor die in my 2011 SEL.  I'm guessing it's a good idea to replace all of them  since they're 13 years old?. Any decent aftermarket brands out there????

Yes.