P Zero Pirelli tires have a warning not to use under 45 F

1004ron

This wouldn't be much of an issue with our FWD and AWD, but not sure about accident liabilities etc.

I had issues with my wife's RWD Mustang and would have got rid of the P Zero's sooner had I know this limitation.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/popping-noise-in-front-passenger-suspension.181435/page-2#post-3676964

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/pirelli-p-zero

Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Edited by 1004ron

Ford offers summer only tires on a lot of vehicles, including the Edges with the ST Performance Brake Package, and the Explorer ST has them as optional as well.

I run summer UHP (BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2) on my Fusion (2012 Sport with the 3.5, AWD), and they are pretty greasy when it is near freezing. I live in the desert southwest and it rarely gets near freezing. This is a second car (my primary), and I have left it sitting to drive other vehicles in the evening. It is AWD and I have chains, but I probably wouldn't drive it up the mountain when it has snow or ice.

When I had Continental ContiProContact tires I drove it to Denver during a snow event, and other than some bad habits creeping into my driving (speeding up in turn lane to make a light...oops) it did great, but even just the cold with the UHPs make them a handful.

7 hours ago, todd92 said:

Summer tires aren't meant for the  Winter, regardless of brand.

Yes that is correct. I should have included that the vehicle never sees snow. My point is that the P Zeros were poor performers in general.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Yes but they’re optional and clearly advertised as summer only tires.

Standard equipment with the 55D package.