2019 Ford Edge Titanium's USB ports are very janky. How do I fix this?

I'm referring to the two USB ports underneath the radio.

Long story short: these USB ports on my 2019 Ford Edge Titanium are very 'touchy'... They work, but if you move the cord in the slightest, it'll stop working. Once you hold still it'll start working again. It's very annoying with apple carplay because it constantly connects and disconnects and makes the radio screen bug out.

And no, it's not the cord nor the iPhone causing this issue. Have tried numerous different phones and cords. As soon as you wiggle the cord in any way it will automatically disconnect

NOTE: its a 2019 Edge with carplay.. I think that makes a difference in the model number

Edited by eric1

It SOUNDS like maybe someone tried to force cables and possibly damaged the ports in the car. I did a Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade and never had issues with it becoming disconnected. On my '18 that came with Sync 3, the USB ports are also pretty stable. Since you said the cables don't make a difference, then it's likely the USB ports. You can replace the module if that is the case.

I used this one for my Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade to get a USB-C port:

https://www.amazon.com/Limnyves-Interface-HC3Z-19A387-B-HC3T-14F014-500196042/dp/B0BDDLWS8G

To get at it, you need to remove the  trim pieces on either side of the console (just snaps off), then remove the trim around the shifter (need to be out of Park), then you can get to the screws that will allow you to remove the little cubby where these usb ports are located. It just snaps out after you release the USB cable. Just reverse the disassembly directions and you're done.

• Like 1

Relevant sections from the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual as PDF document download links...

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Hub Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

USB Hub Connectors Location Illustration - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

USB Hub Connector C3512A Details - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

USB Hub Connector C3512B Details - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

USB Hub HC3Z-19A387-B via Ford's online parts site (web page link)...

1174787276_USBHub-HC3Z-19A387-C-2019Edge-FordParts.thumb.jpg.2d66fbeececd2480838e329bd09e3d39.jpg

If you do a web search for HC3Z-19A387-B, you will find the part offered by many online sellers at various prices.

Likewise for the USB Hub @bofus mentions, if you do a web search for HC3Z-19A387-C.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

I did 5+ years of plugging and unplugging USB cables (I had Android, everyone else had iPhone) in my 2017 Escape with a single port in the cubby, and never wore it out. I like having 2 in the Edge, I keep the cords plugged in, but I think I am going to try an aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto wireless solution, as my wife is pretty rough with cords and connectors (I treat them like they are my life support...). I would prefer at least one Type C port, even if it doesn't do fast charging, I think my Google Pixel 6 Pro actually loses charge plugged into the port for Android Auto, with the screen off.

In the 2019 Edge I have ran into twice that my phone disconnected. I use these ridiculously short cables with 90 degree ends on each end, and having a straight end plugged into the Edge works better, so I use one of those, and no more issues.

15 hours ago, Haz said:

Really appreciate the information. Quick question, do you know the difference between all the different models?

So far I've seen:

HC3Z-19A387-B

HC3Z-19A387-F

HC3Z-19A387-H

HC3Z-19A387-E
HC3Z-19A387-C

I see that the C model has USB-C with it, but I do not see any difference in any of the other models. A ford dealership told me that only the H model will fit my 2019 Edge (with carplay). But then I have people online tell me I need the B model. Then other people online say I need the F model. etc etc etc..

I can't seem to find a difference

EDIT: after look at the diagram on Fords hub website, it seems like the B model is for non-carplay version (just because the diagram shows a radio with a smaller, non carplay radio screen).. Forgot to mention that I have apple carplay. So I believe I need model H. Not sure how to find that model on the hub site though

Edited by eric1