Sticky Steering Wheel

Junk like hand sanitizer, sun screen, hand lotion, and such can eat away the protective coating on surfaces and then those surfaces can deteriorate rather quickly. I don't know if that has happened in your case or how to reverse/stop it from getting worse. A buddy had a tube of sunscreen get everywhere and all the plastics around it turned to goo slowly over the next year or so.

7 hours ago, rtipping2001 said:

I only ever use premium (Mcguires, Autoglym or Chemical guys)cleaners etc but lately, the steering wheel seems to be remaining sticky regardless of cleaning its a 2019 edge titanium - anyone else had this and did you find a solution?

And yes I stopped eating In the car - Lol.

Not sure which Chemical Guys product you're using but this one works great for me. InnerClean Leaves a dry no shine finish.

Hey Handifiler, yes, this is a great product. The last big cleanup I did was the entire interior with this excellent finish. I got out my inspection light today, and the wheel has something weird going on. I don't know if it's a leather cover or faux leather, but it looks worn like cheap furniture not missing fabric like the decor wore off. I will try a photo tomorrow when it's light.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:13 AM, rtipping2001 said:

I only ever use premium (Mcguires, Autoglym or Chemical guys)cleaners etc but lately, the steering wheel seems to be remaining sticky regardless of cleaning 

A lot of these cleaning products are not designec to be used straight on interior materials. For example I use Chemical Guys All Purpose Cleaner and it needs to be deluted 20:1 to use. Used full strength can damage to surface of vinys and leathers. 

I dont think that the use of any cleaner would help the situation, think I'd try a Magic Eraser (gently) and try to clean off the surface. 

Think a steering wheel is a composit of both vinyl and leather. Most likely you damaged the surface coating on the leather. It may be possible to retreat the surface with a sealer designed for this purpose (I've never tried this). Try contacting a upholstery shop in your area to see if they know what might work. Otherwise another way to sidestep the problem might be something like this.  

https://a.co/d/8sBQFaA

On 1/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, bofus said:

Junk like hand sanitizer, sun screen, hand lotion, and such can eat away the protective coating on surfaces and then those surfaces can deteriorate rather quickly. I don't know if that has happened in your case or how to reverse/stop it from getting worse. A buddy had a tube of sunscreen get everywhere and all the plastics around it turned to goo slowly over the next year or so.

Yikes - I guess im going to have to be more picke and dilute the cleaners as has been suggested below.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:09 PM, handfiler said:

Not sure which Chemical Guys product you're using but this one works great for me. InnerClean Leaves a dry no shine finish.

Yes, thats the one I'm using does a beautiful job not sure if this is the culprit on the wheel as others have suggested could be anything that's on my hands.