2007-2015 Edge, MKX low brake pedal simple fix

enigma-2

There's one simple test you can try to reset the ABS.

Try backing up, say 15 mph and stomp on the brakes. This has to be done only in reverse. Really mash the pedal. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times. But there's a chance the module will reset if you can get the brakes to go into auto pulsate.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I read about this some time ago, author stated it had something to do with the proportioning valve. Personally i kind of wonder it the sudden high pressure frees up the rear caliper pistions (assuming their siezed and robbing power). Anyway, others stated this seems to work. 

I had this problem, had Lincoln garage change rotors, pads, fluid and go through everything. Great brakes now, mechanic said it was sticking rear calipers. (Over 100k and still had 1/2 pads left - ya think?).

Additional info from the Edge Workshop Manual, with emphasis added...

Brake Master Cylinder Compensator Ports

The purpose of the compensator ports in the brake master cylinder is to supply additional brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir when needed by the brake system due to brake lining wear and allow brake fluid to return to the master cylinder reservoir when the brakes are released. The returning brake fluid creates a slight turbulence in the master cylinder reservoir. This is a normal condition and indicates that the compensator ports are not clogged. Clogged compensator ports may cause the brakes to hang up or not fully release.

Document download link> Brake System - Principles of Operation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 3