FORD EDGE 2009 HELP! - no acceleration and jerking ?

tmise40

Yesterday once again as I was starting out, car was barely moving as I was giving it plenty of acceleration. I shifted into reverse and car jerked hard, shifted back into drive and again it jerked hard and did so no matter what gear I shifted into. Also the wrench icon came on briefly. I turned car off, restarted it and everything went away as it had never happened? Managed to drive it the seven miles home without issue. Issues before this were on two occasions when starting out car would move very very slow while accelerating. No engine codes are present, checked with a reputable OBDII scanner.

Edited by tmise40
Forgot to mention something of importance

• 1004ron changed the title to FORD EDGE 2009 HELP! - no acceleration and jerking ?
21 hours ago, tmise40 said:

...car was barely moving...into reverse and car jerked...into drive and again it jerked...did so no matter what gear

...wrench icon came on briefly...turned car off...restarted...everything went away as it had never happened...seven miles home without issue

...before this were on two occasions when starting out car would move very very slow

...No engine codes...reputable OBDII scanner

What is ATF level+color+smell on the Trans DipStick?

When is last time ATF was drained+renewed with fresh MerconV?  Preference here is every 33kMiles\4Years; drain is easy access under front of Trans.

Yep, what does "reputable" mean?  Need an OBD2 Scanner that handles both StandardSAE+ProprietaryFord Data.  Click here for more on OBD2 Scanners.

Edited by DILLARD000

3 hours ago, DILLARD000 said:

What is ATF level+color+smell on the Trans DipStick?

When is last time ATF was drained+renewed with fresh MerconV?  Preference here is every 33kMiles\4Years; drain is easy access under front of Trans.

Yep, what does "reputable" mean?  Need an OBD2 Scanner that handles both StandardSAE+ProprietaryFord Data.  Click here for more on OBD2 Scanners.

Trans fluid was changed last year, didn’t use a Stealership scanner but did use a Snap-On $2000 one!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Agreed, reputable, but if it were me I'd scan it with Forscan or Forescan Lite.

That's my recommendation based on personal experience.

Or maybe a BlueDriver huh…so says Scotty Kilmer and Chris Fix!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tmise40 said:

Or maybe a BlueDriver huh…so says Scotty Kilmer and Chris Fix!

I wouldn't be taking any advice from that Scotty fool.

The BlueDriver is a good OBD2 adapter, so that adapter with ForescanLite  (Free) will reliably read the codes, which will most certainly be there based on the symptoms you describe. 

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

Link to the ForScan webpage with their recommended OBD2 interface modules

https://forscan.org/download.html

Personally using & happy

with the full blown version of ForScan on a WindowsPC with this OBD2Port~USBCabled Module OBDLink# EX

and  lite version of ForScan + OBDLink App on AndroidPhon with OBD2Port~BlueTooth Module OBDLink# MX+

There are less expensive options using generic ToggledUSB & BlueToothELM Modules.

Ditto on the YT Vids+Recommendations by ScottyKilmer & ChrisFix;

take those with a "grain of salt" as they seem suspiciously overhyped to support their sponsored income.

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 2

See what I was getting at with regards the scanner?

I would start by checking out the transmission selector and linkages, and the connector to the transmission range switch - if that all checks out good then get a wiring diagram and confirm the range switch is giving the correct output at its connector when selecting each gear position.

My model had a recall due to issues with the synthetic bush connecting the cable to the transmission range lever - wonder if that's good on yours.

Maybe @Haz  could help with the wiring diagram.

Per the Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) chart in the 2009 Edge Workshop Manual, your Edge's behavior is consistent with P1702 Transmission Range Sensor circuit failure, which can limit transmission operation to Park, Neutral, Reverse, and 5th Gear only, with harsh engagements...

646809619_DTCP1702Descriptions-2009EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.d0e4defd4bc37100a79791a49c3a9afb.jpg

The TR Sensor is internal to the transmission and it communicates with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), per this TRS-augmented wiring diagram...

204233361_6F50Transmission-ElectronicControlsWiringDiagram-2009EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.6cdf598786bb2fcf5533d016bea7b41a.jpg

The advice on how to proceed offered by Forum Moderator 1004ron is a large part of the Workshop Manual's Transmission Range Sensor Pinpoint Test D diagnostic procedure, which is supported by documents detailing Gear Selector Cable Adjustment, inspecting involved external electrical connectors, using an OBDII data link scan tool to monitor TR Sensor PIDs and evaluate TR Sensor & PCM operation, checking the PCM-TR Sensor wiring harness for open circuits and shorted to ground or power circuits. And if all these external tests yield no problems, then the final TR Sensor internal evaluation is conducted after prepping & opening the Transmission's Main Cover.

Fulfilling all the external diagnostic steps ensures that you are not needlessly performing the rather extensive work of opening the transmission case to directly inspect & test the TR Sensor and its connector, as described in the TR Sensor Removal and Installation document.

Should the TR Sensor fail its direct internal testing, Ford's online parts site offers this replacement...

1286363400_TransmissionRangeSensor-Part7H557-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.508d4cb4c20a0e24cbf50bf7de5355ff.jpg

Document download links>

6F50 Transmission, 3.5L Duratec - Electronic Controls Wiring Diagram - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transmission Range Sensor - Pinpoint Test D - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

6F50 Transmission - Selector Lever Cable Adjustment - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

6F50-6F55 Transmission - Selector Lever Cable Adjustment - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

6F50 Transmission, 3.5L Duratec - Electronic Controls Connector C168 Details - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

6F50 Transmission, 3.5L Duratec - Electronic Controls Connector C168 Location - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) - Connector C175T Details - 2009 Edge.pdf

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) - Connector C175T Location - 2009 Edge.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - For Firewall Location Illustration - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transmission Range (TR) Sensor - Removal and Installation - 2009 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Connector Details

1234232448_TransmissionRange(TR)SensorConnectorIllustration.jpg.96b58f77e8ff8d878e2d767ef931dfef.jpg

Pin Number Circuit Function
1 Transmission Range (TR) Ground
2 TR 4
3 TR 3
4 TR 2
5 TR 1
6 Empty

Solenoid Body-to-Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Internal Circuit Diagram Connector Details

1993558711_SolenoidBody-to-TransmissionRange(TR)SensorInternalCircuitDiagramConnectorsIllustration.jpg.b3d574293ba0fffad81b1c4d6c7992ea.jpg

Solenoid Body Main Connector Pin Number TR Sensor Pin Number Circuit Function
4 5 Transmission Range (TR) 1
5 4 TR 2
6 3 TR 3
7 2 TR 4
8 1 TR Ground
6 Empty

You may want to review the documents, and your available tools -- including a scanner and multimeter for the diagnostics, and perhaps get a price for TR Sensor diagnosis, removal & replacement, and then make the decision on how you might proceed.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2023 at 11:34 PM, Haz said:

I appreciate ALL the great information! This morning it would not do anything when turned key to crank. No sound, no nothing. With key on I shifted from park through all the gears and back to park. Then it started and the check engine light was on which usually is not the case. Ran scan with Bluetooth Driver and codes P0705 and P1702 came up as well as U0401. All pointing towards Transmission Range Sensor A circuit. I’m going to find that circuit on the downloads you supplied and see what I can find. Maybe start with a visual at the pcm wiring?

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote EVERYTHING