Push button start not working

MPG101

Here is my problem…

My 2011 Edge is equipped with OEM key FOB with auto start, alarm, hatch control, door lock and unlock. All functions are working fine and FOB battery is new. Since all of these functions are working, I can safely say the remote start antenna module is working with my FOB key. FYI, spare key works the same. 

FYI…. After starting my car with the remote, I put my foot on the brake and push the start button, still nothing happens. I tried placing the FOB  key in center console slot, did nothing also. Relocating the FOB key in various places of the car does not make a difference. 

The problem lies with communication between the FOB key and the push button start; nothing happens when I push the button on occasion. There are no dash lights and the symptom is like I have a dead battery. Car battery has 12.5 V and the terminals are clean. After several minutes of pushing the start button and fiddling with the FOB key, miraculously, I push the start button one last time and the dash lights come on and the vehicle starts.

The only occasional pattern I can see…..I sometimes keep the FOB in my top jacket pocket. When I hold onto the key and or bring it closer to the start button it usually starts. I can honestly say there is no radio interference in the area when this occurs.

So, does anyone know how to make the push start button recognize my FOB key ? Is this problem related to the OEM anti theft feature ? Is there a bad module that I am overlooking ? 

Edited by 1004ron

Does it say "No key detected" when it won't start when you press Start and have one of the IA keys in the cabin? If it doesn't, and putting the key in the backup slot in the console (with the buttons facing back and the key ring at the top) doesn't help, then it doesn't sound like the interior proximity issue. Do you have any added electronics, like a dash cam, radar detector, or USB power plugged into a 12v socket?

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem and per the dealer it’s the ignition immobilizer. Now I just need to figure out where this module is located. I know the immobilized is located in the steering column for key start ignition switches but I have a push button start. If you have any idea where this immobilizer is located, that would be awesome. FYI…. I searched the web and the only video I found on the immobilizer replacement is for key start ignition switches, not push button start cars.

The immobilization effect of the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) occurs from the interaction of the Intelligent Access (IA) key fob and the Start push button with several electronic modules via related components and circuits in the vehicle.

From the 2011 Edge Workshop Manual...

(Placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms should result in a popup of the component's full name)

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) With Intelligent Access (IA)

The Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) consists of the following components:

• Intelligent Access (IA) key
  • Front passive start antenna (located on the bottom of the front of the floor console)
  • Center passive start antenna (located in the rear of the floor console)
  • Rear passive start antenna (located under the liftgate scuff trim panel, beneath the liftgate striker)
  • Backup transceiver (located in the floor console, below the audio jacks)
  • Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) module
  • Remote Function Actuator (RFA) module (located behind the glove compartment)
  • Body Control Module (BCM)
  • PCM

Starting System - Principles of Operation With IA

NOTE: This vehicle is equipped with Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) that disables the engine if an unprogrammed PATS key is used or an invalid PCM ID is received. PATS is controlled by the Remote Function Actuator (RFA) module. If there is a PATS concern that cause the engine not to crank, the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) displays "STARTING SYSTEM FAULT" in the message center. Refer to Section  419-01B to diagnose a PATS concern.

The Intelligent Access (IA) starting system is electronically controlled by the RFA module which acts as the PATS control function. The RFA receives the following inputs:

• Brake pedal applied input
  • Start/stop switch is pressed
  • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL signal from the Transmission Range (TR) sensor
  • Run/start relay voltage.
  • Correctly coded ignition key, from the RFA

During a start event, the start/stop switch is pressed in combination with the brake pedal, the RFA module and BCM receives a request to start the engine. The RFA module communicates with the BCM . Once the BCM receives the command from the RFA module, it communicates with the PCM. Once the BCM initializes and communicates with the RFA module and the PCM, it checks the ID of each module and compares it with the module ID stored in its own memory. If the RFA module and PCM IDs match the IDs stored in the BCM , then PATS is enabled.

The PCM recognizes the correct inputs and provides voltage and ground to energize the starter relay coil and close the starter relay contacts. The starter relay contacts close, providing voltage to the starter solenoid, allowing the starter motor to crank the engine. The PCM disengages the starter motor once an engine rpm threshold is reached, a set crank time is exceeded or the stop/start button is pressed indicating an engine shutdown.

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Principles of Operation

The Remote Function Actuator (RFA) module is only equipped when the vehicle has the Intelligent Access (IA) feature. On vehicles equipped with this option, the RFA controls mostly the IA and related entry/anti-theft systems (such as the power door locks and the liftgate release). The RFA module communicates on the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) . The RFA module controls the following functions:

• Intelligent Access (IA) feature
  • Keyless entry keypad illumination
  • Liftgate release
  • Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)
  • Power door locks
  • Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system

The following collection of documents provide fuller detail on component interaction, wiring diagrams and electrical connector details & connector locations, and diagnosis & testing procedures that may equip you, if you choose to identify the root of the problem yourself, or at least, will enhance your awareness if you decide to turn the job over to your dealer's Service technicians.

Document download links>

Anti-Theft — With Intelligent Access (IA) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Starting System - Diagnosis and Testing - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Diagnosis and Testing - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems — With Intelligent Access (IA) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual .pdf

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Removal and Installation - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) Fuse Protected-Circuits Legend - HIGHLIGHTED - Wiring Diagram - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Removal and Installation - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Enhanced Image - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Removal and Installation - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Module - Removal and Installation - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Passive Anti-Theft System - Wiring Diagram - Cell 112 , Page 02 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Passive Anti-Theft System - Wiring Diagram - Cell 112 , Page 03 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Distribution-BCM - Wiring Diagram - Cell 013, Page 12 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Keyless Entry and Alarm - Wiring Diagram - Cell 117, Page 06 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Keyless Entry and Alarm - Wiring Diagram - Cell 117, Page 07 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Keyless Entry and Alarm - Wiring Diagram - Cell 117, Page 08 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Keyless Entry and Alarm - Wiring Diagram - Cell 117, Page 09 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Keyless Entry and Alarm - Wiring Diagram - Cell 117, Page 10 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Starting System -Wiring Diagram - Cell 020, Page 02 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Tire Pressure Monitor System - Wiring Diagram - Cell 118, Page 01 - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Backup Transceiver - Connector C3371 Location (Floor Console) - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Connector C2153A Details - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Connector C2153B Details - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Connector C2153C Details - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Connector C2153D Details - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Connector C2153E Details - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module - Connectors Location (Behind Glovebox) - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

While I hope these documents cover all the bases for you, please let me know if you recognize a need for anything else.

Presumably, your dealer's conclusion about ignition immobilization was based upon Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present in your Edge's module(s).

If you are personally going to embark upon chasing down potential cause(s), scan or get your Edge scanned to see what DTCs may be present, since they may be cited in the various Diagnosis and Testing documents linked above, and can indicate which Pinpoint Test to employ.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The other mechanical switch risks would be the Start/Stop and Transmission Range (TR) switches, which should trigger DTCs.

Additional, for the "Library"...

Document download links>

TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) MODULE - Connector C4321 Details - 2011 Edge.pdf

TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) MODULE - Connector C4321 Location - 2011 Edge.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 2