The Mandatory In-Car Breathalyzer Is Only a Few Years Away

macbwt

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt that auto manufacturers will adopt breath detectors. Most likely they'll use touch-based systems. Manufacturers claim they can be ready by 2025.

It reads drivers' blood alcohol level below the skin surface using touch sensors in the car's ignition button or gear shifter.

The sensor shines a beam of light onto a person's finger and uses near-infrared tissue spectroscopy to take measurements.

I have mixed feelings about these. The more complex a car gets, the more prone to failure.

But In reality, drunk driving kills ~32 people per day in the U.S (that's one person every 45 minutes and more than 10,000 per year). Most automobile accidents are alcohol and drug related. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, hlg013 said:

I don't drink (Personal choice, Gave it up when I became a parent) Big brother is overstepping with this one. Thumbs down is the politest reaction I can give you.

The problem is drunk drivers rarely kill only themselves.  They usually kill innocent people.  There really isn’t any other way to prevent it.

On 8/21/2023 at 1:16 PM, akirby said:

The problem is drunk drivers rarely kill only themselves.  They usually kill innocent people.  There really isn’t any other way to prevent it.

I have no argument with that. Just stating my irritation at big brother tactics.