2008...adding navigation

I bought back our middle daughters 2008 Ford Edge Limited...long story...given I know the history of maintenance for the most part.  We will be driving it for a little bit...I'm going through the car cleaning and fixing some cosmetic things...and possibly letting our youngest daughter drive it within the next year when she gets her license.  It has the 6 cd stereo with the Sync function, but the channel selector faces are worn through so I'm wanting to clean that up.  I've noticed the sound goes flat sometimes and will come back if I turn it off, then back on....not sure if this is the amplifier, the stereo, or the back speakers.  I've found a nice navigation stereo which apparently came out of a 2008 Edge for a decent price...they also have the unit like is in the car currently.  I always prefer stock over aftermarket, so that's why I'm leaning towards these units.  I've researched and read about installing the nav unit...the part number on the case of the one I'm looking at is AL-1T-18K931-AD...and have read anything from plug and play to loosing steering wheel, sync, amplifier, etc. functions.  If they do not have the GPS antenna I know that will have to be sourced at the least, but I don't think they're that expensive.  So I'm asking for input in doing this given the thread or two I found here on this forum were from 2007-2013 to see which stereo might be best...

Personally I wouldn't subject myself to 15 year old technology if I was expecting more than FM radio or streaming. Last maps are from 2015 for that setup (same one in a 2010 MKZ I test drove).

While I am personally fine with my SYNC 1 version in my 2012 Fusion (it just streams, there is no display other than VFD that shows the song name) as I have a phone mount on the dash, so I get up to date navigation, music streaming, etc. But when I drive my 2019 SEL with SYNC 3 I wish I had a touch screen setup in the dash. Since it is a double-din opening, I would go aftermarket with something that supports Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, dabangsta said:

Personally I wouldn't subject myself to 15 year old technology if I was expecting more than FM radio or streaming. Last maps are from 2015 for that setup (same one in a 2010 MKZ I test drove).

While I am personally fine with my SYNC 1 version in my 2012 Fusion (it just streams, there is no display other than VFD that shows the song name) as I have a phone mount on the dash, so I get up to date navigation, music streaming, etc. But when I drive my 2019 SEL with SYNC 3 I wish I had a touch screen setup in the dash. Since it is a double-din opening, I would go aftermarket with something that supports Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

The reason I'm reluctant of going aftermarket is I've read I might loose the steering wheel stereo controls and possibly the Sync functions.

1 hour ago, bwguardian said:

The reason I'm reluctant of going aftermarket is I've read I might loose the steering wheel stereo controls and possibly the Sync functions.

Check these out.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BV960N/Boss-BV960NV.html?tp=20212

(They have better radios running well over a grand, but better functions and options like Sirus satellite radio and stuff. Look around while you're there). But this one lets you add a backup camera. 

Steering wheel control harness:

Edited by enigma-2

2 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Check these out.

(They have better radios running well over a grand, but better functions and options like Sirus satellite radio and stuff. Look around while you're there). But this one lets you add a backup camera. 

Steering wheel control harness:

Thanks for this...the links  are the same, but I'll see if I can find the harness...