NHTSA Investigation Upgraded To Engineering Analysis Phase, Applies To 2.7L & 3.0L EcoBoost Engines, Vehicle Population Includes 2021-2022 Edge (6,889), and 2021-2022 Lincoln Nautilus (8,596) + Other Models

Haz

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company

Products: Model Years 2021-2022 Ford Bronco, Edge, Explorer, and F-150 and Lincoln Aviator and Nautilus vehicles Population: 708,837 (Estimated)

Problem Description: Under normal driving conditions without warning the vehicle may experience a loss of motive power without restart due to catastrophic engine failure related to an alleged faulty valve within 2.7 L and 3.0 L EcoBoost Engines

Action: Open Engineering Analysis (EA)

Document download link> NHTSA - Office of Defects Investigation - Opening of Engineering Analysis (EA) - 09-29-2023.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

So the big question for me is how can I find the engine build date for my 2022 ST with this engine?  The assembly date was in early April of 22 and I didn't get the car until late April 22, and it says they changed the way the parts were made to eliminate the problem in engines during October 21.  Would be nice to see if mine was made before or after that date.  Don't know if the engines are made just shortly before assembly, or if they're stored for months prior to going in a vehicle.  I can't find anything on the engine except this large sticker near the oil filler.  Could 229 mean 2022 February 9th?  

PXL_20231002_201401490.jpg

From the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

1501619853_EngineCodeInformationLabelImage.jpg.662e5226ccf5124dbcf2c0833209d969.jpg

image.png.e2d3b0b41122aec92aebe7f81940556c.png

Item 6/7/8 data is also included as the Engine Trace Serial Number in the OASIS System's Vehicle Information Report, allowing verification of an engine as originally installed.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

Thanks Haz!  Well, the photo I attached to my last message shows the label that is on the left hand side of the valve cover (standing in front of the vehicle).  Could that be the label for the engine even though it doesn't look to be the same color as the example label in your post?  It appears that is from a 2014, and possibly the label is black with white letters now.  If that isn't the label, I have no idea where in the heck the vaccuum pump is located.  

If this is the correct label, then I'm in luck because that engine was built on March 17, 2022, well after the October 2021 date when they changed the type of metal in the valve.  Thanks!  One odd thing is my label also shows FWD as the "drive type" even though all the STs were AWD in 2022.  I suppose that engine works in either type of drive, so maybe they simply specify it as compatible for FWD.  

Edited by Davidoo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Davidoo said:

One odd thing is my label also shows FWD as the "drive type" even though all the STs were AWD in 2022.  I suppose that engine works in either type of drive, so maybe they simply specify it as compatible for FWD.

Probably means the engine is for FWD based platforms like the Edge with transverse mounted engines, whereas the Bronco which is 4WD, has RWD in the engine label as it is RWD based with longitudinal mounted engines.

4277dd8e-fec2-437d-829b-4c1afc50195e-jpe

• Like 2