Edge 2019+ high series headlamps question

Hi,

For high series headlamps installed in Edge 2019+ there are double lenses in each headlamp assembly. Each consists of low and high beam LEDs that are focued through outboard lens and additional high beam which are focused through separate, inboard lens. Based on workshop manual diagrams (shown in https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/31509-2022-ford-edge-titanium-elite-issues/?fbclid=IwAR0MuaY1weZCub9anATKTHnV3GsIrMi_q23lr0INPyac4zEVVOel7b0mF5E#google_vignette) there is a single wire for high beam control. So my question is how that additional high beam LED is controlled/triggered? Is there internal, parallel connection inside headlamp assembly or it is controlled via HCMs LIN communication? Or any other way?

I asked becasue after crash I got after market (most likely non-OEM) headlamp assemblies where that inboard lenses don't work at all. I'm wondering if this is a fake headlamps reason, HCM configuration or wiring issue.

So you have a Titanium or ST with the optional Adaptive Headlamps (the "high line")? If you have the setting and isn't grayed out, and enabled, do you see the adaptive headlights do the test sweep at startup? I find it odd that they aren't bi-led like the standard headlamps, I have never seen them on and lit up to see the inner bulb. I thought it was more of a turning bulb like the Escape, so didn't really care about finding a Titanium with them (my track record with stuff like this is poor, many Lincolns I have owned all the added stuff breaks, side mirrors tilting down in reverse, dimming side mirrors, seat moving forward when back is lifted to enter back seat in 2 door, etc).

From the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual (placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms should yield the full word description)...

High Beams

The SCCM monitors the LH steering column multifunction switch for a high beam request. When the LH steering column multifunction switch is in the HIGH BEAMS position, the SCCM sends a message over the HS-CAN2 to the GWM , then the GWM sends the message to the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

When the low beams are on and the BCM receives a request for high beams, the low beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) remains powered on and the high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) is also activated. This changes the headlamp beam pattern to illuminate a greater distance.

The BCM also provides Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection of the high beam output circuits. When an excessive current draw is detected, the BCM disables the affected circuit driver.

For additional information on BCM Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection,
Refer to: 
Module Controlled Functions - System Operation and Component Description (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Description and Operation).(Download link below)

Headlamps (edited to provide high series info)

For high series headlamps, the LED headlamp system consists of a non-replaceable low and high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) that are focused through a single projector lens and additional high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) that are focused through a separate smaller lens inboard of the main lens.

If the LH steering column multifunction switch is pushed into the high beam position, the high beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) illuminate until the LH steering column multifunction switch is returned to the center position.

The mid and high series headlamps may be equipped with automatic headlamp leveling. The headlamp beam height is automatically adjusted according to vehicle load, speed, acceleration and braking. Automatic headlamp leveling is activated when the headlamp switch is in the HEADLAMPS or AUTOLAMPS position.

The high series headlamps are equipped with adaptive front lighting. Depending on the inputs received (steering wheel angle and vehicle speed for example), the adaptive front lighting module can command the angle at which the headlamps are aimed (left or right) to improve nighttime visibility around curves. Adaptive front lighting is only activated when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

The following documents provide Headlamp system information, including Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) charts, wiring diagrams, connector details, and diagnostic Pinpoint Test 'B' for addressing the issue of one-or-both inoperative High Beam(s)...

Document download links>

Exterior Lighting - Overview - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Lighting - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Controlled Functions - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Headlamps - Diagnosis and Testing - DTC Charts - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

PINPOINT TEST B - ONE OR BOTH HIGH BEAMS IS INOPERATIVE - Diagnosis and Testing - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Headlamps, Left Hand - Wiring Diagram - 2019 Edge.pdf

HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY LH - Connector C1284 Details - 2019 Edge.pdf

Headlamps, Right Hand - Wiring Diagram - 2019 Edge.pdf

HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY RH - Connector C1285 Details - 2019 Edge.pdf

Headlamps Control Module - Wiring Diagram - 2019 Edge.pdf

HEADLAMP CONTROL MODULE (HCM) - Connector C2129 Details - 2019 Edge.pdf

Headlamp Control Module (HCM) - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) - Connector C2280B Details - 2019 Edge.pdf

Steering Column Control Module - Wiring Diagram - 2019 Edge.pdf

STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE (SCCM) - Connector C226A Details - 2019 Edge.pdf

STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE (SCCM) - Connector C226A Location - 2019 Edge.pdf

If you need any additional information, just let me know -- and please let us all know once you've achieved success through your efforts.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

I have Titanium with adaptive headlamps. Sweep test runs correctly i.e. they move left and right during startup. They also follows steering wheel when in autolamp (much more when turn right, less/slighty when to left). Main low and high beams are as bi-led (in one, outter, integrated lens). But workshop manual says inner LED works as additional high beam. You can see how it works on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDF5VoMoxmM (2:14) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBsC3CkfZV4 (4:35). Certainly it is seens inner LEDs are working. Question if they put same modules into Titanium and ST but I believe yes.

Inner LED works as turning/cornering light in EU vehicle version but outter LED don't move left/right but up/down. So it's reasonable to have extra light when turning.

I believe there is someone on forum who owns Edge with such headlamps to confirm how they really works (from the end user POV) and an expert who can explain in technical way how that inner LED are controlled to let me find out a true reason of not operating of that LED.

Inner LED.PNG

Haz,

The diagrams clearly show that there is no separate wire for the inner LED control. Considering only that, I can assume that there must be an internal connection between the inner and outer high beam LED, and thus my headlight assemblies are fake. But there is HCM that can potentially control this lens since it's not "standard hardware".

There are no DTCs at all. Outer high beam LEDs work, but inner ones do not.
My connector is equipped with 11 pins so there are only two, above option for my inner lens. Question, which is valid?

Edited by ciupa

On 10/24/2023 at 1:47 PM, ciupa said:

I asked becasue after crash I got after market (most likely non-OEM) headlamp assemblies where that inboard lenses don't work at all. I'm wondering if this is a fake headlamps reason, HCM configuration or wiring issue.

Sounds like improperly installed or something was missed. Take it back to who fixed it and get them to sort it out before you mess with it and they accuse you of messing it up.

• Like 1