Steering Wheel Control Wires for aftermarket Android head unit

BraddB

I recently installed an aftermarket Android head unit in my car and it a;llows you to use your factory steering wheel controls, but to do this there are two wires on the head unit that are Key 1 and Key 2.  These two wires need to be connected up to the factory wiring harness on the main plug.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which these two wires might be?

Thank you.

Nobody has any ideas?  I have searched and searched all over and can't seem to find a diagram or picture that shows me what two wires I need to connect.  Any ideas or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by BraddB

• 1004ron changed the title to Steering Wheel Control Wires for aftermarket Android head unit
7 hours ago, MLTEdge said:

Maybe contact the head manufacturer to ask them? They must have a clue where to start, or how to test wiring to find correct ones.

I thought about this too, but the Ebay seller either doesn't have that info or just doesn't want to give me that info.  I know what wires to use on the head unit, just not what wires to connect them to on the factory wiring harness on the edge.  I can't find any info anywhere that tells me what wires going into the harness are for the steering wheel controls.

I do appreciate your reply.  Thank you.

One of the downsides buying too cheap.

Crutchfield prices are very competitive and tech support cannot be beat.

You will probably need an adapter like the ones in the below link, but which ones will depend on your vehicle model and the 3rd party head unit.

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/steering_wheel_control_adapter.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_751/Factory-System-Adapters.html

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Looks like I need to do some reasearch and figure things out.  I had to do this about 10 years ago when I added an aftermarket head unti in my Escalade, but it was a name brand stereo, not some generic Android unit.

Based upon this description from the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

Steering Wheel Controls

The steering wheel controls are mounted directly to the steering wheel and wired to the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) . Depending on what features the vehicle is equipped with, the SCCM sends messages via the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to the PCM (cruise control) and the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) (message center and entertainment system). The IPC receives the SCCM entertainment system messages via the HS-CAN and then sends them to the applicable entertainment system module(s) along the Infotainment Controller Area Network (I-CAN) .

...and this Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM) - wiring diagram...

782559176_FRONTCONTROLDISPLAYINTERFACEMODULE(FCDIM)-WiringDiagram-2018Edge.thumb.jpg.81fd043048f7c968f955440b4251ffa7.jpg

Your Edge's main plug may be the FCDIM Connector C2123...

1084383998_FRONTCONTROLDISPLAYINTERFACEMODULE(FCDIM)-ConnectorC2123Image-2018Edge.thumb.jpg.421effdf298afa62d1aa22c59f8cc924.jpg

If so, then your Aftermarket Head's two wires may find their rightful places on Pin 4 and Pin 5...

378013788_FRONTCONTROLDISPLAYINTERFACEMODULE(FCDIM)-ConnectorC2123Details-2018Edge.thumb.jpg.1c8e445b65bed3052f5a14ce6f94fa21.jpg

Document download links>

FRONT CONTROL DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM) - Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge.pdf

FRONT CONTROL DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM) - Connector C2123 Location - 2018 Edge.pdf

FRONT CONTROL DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM) - Connector C2123 Details - 2018 Edge.pdf

Steering Wheel Switch, Right - Wiring Diagram without SYNC - 2013 Edge.pdf

Steering Wheel Switch, Right - Connector C2999 Location - 2013 Edge.pdf

Steering Wheel Switch, Right - Connector C2999 Details - 2013 Edge.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 10:06 PM, Haz said:

Based upon this description from the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

I gave that a shot, but it didn't work.  Although when I connected those wires to the head unit and attempted the steering learn function it said it was sucessful but it wasn't.  It looks like even though I shouldn't need one of those boxes I will have to buy one.  The only thing I wanted it for was the factory voice commands.  The fatory mic works so much better than the aftermarket mic.

Edited by 1004ron
Really no need to quote it ALL