2018 Edge Audio Control Module - No sound

My wifes 2018 Edge Titanium AWD with Sync 3 navigation lost all of the audio recently. Nav functions seem to all work, only no audio. After doing some research, I am under the impression the ACM is faulty. I've tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, doing a soft reset and a hard reset. Still no sound.

Looking on eBay, I see there are a few models (FT4T-19C107-KA, FT4T-19C107-KB, FT4T-19C107-KC, FT4T-19C107-KDavailable for this vehicle, most for $50-$80. Before I take the dash apart to find my exact ACM model number, is there a way to find the ACM model with just the VIN? (2FMPK4K87JBC35803)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Al

Edited by al303

No sound at all, even chimes? With it being a Titanium with premium Sony sound, there is an amplifier that has its own fuse.

I think that you can use Forscan and an OBD-II adapter to get the engineering number, and if you just buy a used one, you might need that to load your as built date onto the new one. Make sure it has HD radio (which can be seen on the sticker if they show the actual one and not just a representative one).

Dabangsta,

Chimes still work and all the fuses have been checked.

Out of all the ACM's I find online(20ish), none of them have the HD Radio sticker on them. Are you sure there would be a sticker on an OEM radio?

Edited by al303

Al: Have you tried using the Bezel Diagnostics procedure?

Your Edge's HVBoM shows originally fit unit as FT4T19C107HE.

As-Built data for your Edge's ACM shows as...

727-01-01 10A0 F000 00D0  
  727-01-02 0000 31    
  727-02-01 5B8C      
  727-03-01 3C6E      
  727-04-01 0001 0155 53DD  

Document download links>

Bezel Diagnostics - General Procedures - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Information and Entertainment System - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for your help Haz. I ran the bezel diagnostics and the Speaker Walk-Around Test produced no audio. I found a used FT4T-19C107-KD or a FT4T-19C107-HD for a very good price. Will these work? I've attached a photo of the part numbers that came up on my recent test.

Thanks again for your help,

20240203_102408.jpg

Edited by al303

Al: Have you scanned your Edge for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) ?

From the System Operation and Component Description document...

Digital Signal Processor (DSP)

The audio system provides theater quality sound in the vehicle. Audio signals are sent from the ACM and APIM to the DSP module. The DSP module processes the audio signals and sends them to the speakers.

Additionally, from the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual, relating to: No Sound From All Speakers

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

When the ignition status message from the BCM indicates that the engine is cranking, the ACM mutes the audio output.

If the audio DSP module detects an open, short to ground, or less than 3.5 volts on the enable circuit, the speaker output will be muted for all of the speakers.

A short to ground or short to voltage in the circuitry to one of the speakers may cause multiple speakers to lose sound due to the built-in overload protection feature of the audio DSP module. In this case, a speaker fault DTC sets.

DTC Fault Trigger Conditions

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions DTC Type
B1142:27 Ignition Status 1: Signal Rate of Change Above Threshold Set by the ACM when an error is detected in the ignition status message from the BCM during engine start. Continuous
B13FB:11 Audio Enable Line: Circuit Short To Ground Set by the audio DSP module when a short to ground is detected on the enable circuit Continuous

Possible Sources

• Wiring, terminals, or connectors
  • ACM
  • Audio DSP module

I can provide diagnostic Pinpoint Test 'F'  if  either of the above DTCs are present in the ACM or DSP modules.

Good luck!

Document download link> Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

• Like 1

If you do end up replacing the ACM, this is what I mean with the HD radio on the sticker (versus not having it). Some eBay items have the text of the engineering number that you are looking for, but aren't really it, I would look at the sticker as most are actual photos of the item for sale.

HD.png

KD.png

• Like 2

Because you have a record of the modules exhibiting DTCs in your Forscan screen capture(s), I would try performing a Clear All Codes, followed by performing Self Test routines on all modules for which Forscan previously indicated DTCs.

From my perspective, the outcome of the Self Tests will indicate fault states currently existing, versus those previously shown which were historical, but are not currently faulted -- if that makes any sense.

My hope would be that the DSP's DTC-indicated fault that is capable of blocking speaker audio may be historical, and clearing the DTC may restore the speaker audio -- but I may be wrong.

Initially clearing all DTCs and performing the Self Tests is easier/quicker than the disassembly needed to access & perform Pinpoint Test F's circuits/connectors volt/ohm evaluations.

If this B13FB:11 DTC reoccurs, there is Pinpoint Test F for you -- or a dealership technician -- to perform...

1474495678_DSPDTCHeader.jpg.fb14f18c217d821ca44cb9c1371cce7d.jpg1936424797_DSPDTCLineItem.jpg.545abe8cb8191bfb40843f78845a697a.jpg

PINPOINT TEST F: NO SOUND FROM ALL SPEAKERS
F1 VERIFY THAT THE ACM (AUDIO FRONT CONTROL MODULE) AND AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE PASS THE NETWORK TEST
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the network test.

Did the ACM and audio DSP module pass the network test?

Yes GO to F2
No
REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).

F2 CHECK FOR SPEAKER DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
  • Ignition ON.
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the audio DSP module self-test.

image.png.3c0f1ebbbf6f415eea14e25f518fbb31.png

image.png.0261082b71c21fb4d8a3436e139dfa41.png

image.png.ab671907bc3c840af0f7e96b33013dd8.png

image.png.48af6ec67f428e1949aa3e19a1237aac.png

Are any speaker fault Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present?

Yes REFER to the DSP DTC Chart ABOVE.
No GO to F3

F3 CHECK THE ENABLE CIRCUIT FUNCTIONALITY BY CHECKING THE AUDIBLE PROMPT FUNCTIONALITY
  • Operate the audio system in AM / FM mode.
  • Operate the VOICE steering wheel switch and listen for the SYNC® audible prompt.

Does the SYNC® system produce an audible prompt correctly; indicating voice recognition mode has been entered?

Yes GO to F4
No GO to F5

F4 CHECK FOR AN AUDIO SIGNAL TO THE AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE

NOTICE: This pinpoint test step directs testing circuits using a back-probe method. Use the special back-probe tool POM6411. Do not force test leads or other probes into connectors. Adequate care must be exercised to avoid connector terminal damage, while ensuring that good electrical contact is made with the circuit or terminal. Failure to follow these instructions may cause damage to wiring, terminals, or connectors, and may cause subsequent electrical faults.

• Ignition ON.
  • Operate the audio system in AM / FM mode.
  • While back-probing audio DSP module C4326A, measure the AC voltage.

image.png.8055a460ad5b38a444aee9134053d2a2.png

• Positive Lead Measurement / Action Negative Lead
     C4326A Pin 7 imagen2.dll?id=E141590_EUR&w=99&t=JPG  C4326A Pin 17

Is a fluctuating AC voltage present?

Yes GO to F10
No GO to F9

F5 CHECK THE AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE ENABLE CIRCUIT FOR CORRECT VOLTAGE

NOTICE: This pinpoint test step directs testing circuits using a back-probe method. Use the special back-probe tool POM6411. Do not force test leads or other probes into connectors. Adequate care must be exercised to avoid connector terminal damage, while ensuring that good electrical contact is made with the circuit or terminal. Failure to follow these instructions may cause damage to wiring, terminals, or connectors, and may cause subsequent electrical faults.

• While back-probing audio DSP module C4326A, measure the DC voltage.

•  
    Positive Lead Measurement / Action Negative Lead
     C4326A Pin 3 imagen2.dll?id=E141493_EUR&w=99&t=JPG  Ground

Is the voltage between 3.5 and 8.5 volts?

Yes GO to F10
No GO to F6

F6 CHECK THE AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE ENABLE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: Audio DSP Module C4326A.
  • Disconnect: ACM C240B.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure:

C4326A Pin 3 imagen2.dll?id=E141493_EUR&w=99&t=JPG  Ground

Is any voltage present?

Yes REPAIR the circuit.
No GO to F7

F7 CHECK THE AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE ENABLE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure:

C4326A Pin 3 imagen2.dll?id=E141499_EUR&w=99&t=JPG  Ground

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes GO to F8
No REPAIR the circuit.

F8 CHECK THE AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE ENABLE CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure:

C4326A Pin 3 imagen2.dll?id=E141499_EUR&w=99&t=JPG C240B Pin 18

image.png.8055a460ad5b38a444aee9134053d2a2.png                                                                                                                                                                  image.png.9dcdc804127a0724f65e366467ebf81e.png

Is the resistance less than 3 ohms?

Yes GO to F9
No REPAIR the circuit.

F9 CHECK FOR CORRECT ACM (AUDIO FRONT CONTROL MODULE) OPERATION
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect and inspect all the ACM connectors and related in-line connectors.
  • Repair:
    • corrosion (clean module pins or install new connectors or terminals)
    • damaged or bent pins (install new terminals or pins)
    • pushed-out pins (install new pins as necessary)
  • Reconnect the ACM connectors and related in-line connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.
  • Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). If a TSB exists for this concern, discontinue this test and follow TSB instructions. If no Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) address this concern, INSTALL a new ACM .
REFER to: 
Audio Front Control Module (ACM) (415-00C Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: Sony Audio System, Removal and Installation).
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by module connections. ADDRESS the root cause of any connector or pin issues.

F10 CHECK FOR CORRECT AUDIO DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) MODULE OPERATION
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect and inspect all the audio DSP module connectors and related in-line connectors.
  • Repair:
    • corrosion (clean module pins or install new connectors or terminals)
    • damaged or bent pins (install new terminals or pins)
    • pushed-out pins (install new pins as necessary)
  • Reconnect the audio DSP module connectors and related in-line connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.
  • Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). If a TSB exists for this concern, discontinue this test and follow TSB instructions. If no Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) address this concern, INSTALL a new audio DSP module.
REFER to: 
Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module (415-00C Information and Entertainment System - General Information - Vehicles With: Sony Audio System, Removal and Installation).
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by module connections. ADDRESS the root cause of any connector or pin issues.

Below, and in an immediately following post due to Forum attachment limitations, are download links to wiring diagrams, connector information, and module access procedures in support of Pinpoint Test F efforts...

Document download links>

Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio Front Control Module (ACM) - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Loadspace Trim Panel - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio Front Control Module (ACM) to Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE - Power Distribution Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE to Speakers - Wiring Diagram 1 - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE to Speakers - Wiring Diagram 2 - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE to Speakers - Wiring Diagram 3 - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

DSP-ACM-APIM - Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

Audio Front Control Module (ACM) to Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module - Inline Connector C210 Details - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

Audio Front Control Module (ACM) to Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module - Inline Connector C210 Location - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE - Connector C4362A Details - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE - Connector C4362B Details - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (DSP) MODULE - Connector C4362C Details - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

AUDIO FRONT CONTROL MODULE (ACM) - Connector C240B Details - 2018 Edge w Sony.pdf

• Like 1

It's Working! Thank you Haz and dabangtsa. After a little more research, I found this seems to be a recurring problem with these ACM's. For under $70, I decided to take a gamble and picked one up on eBay. Haz was correct, it was model FT4T19C107HE. Took about 20 minutes to swap, and BINGO! I've got music again! Thanks again for all your help.

Al

• Like 2

I couldn't really check all the connectors because of the power liftgate issue I'm having also, as some of the connections are near the spare tire. I figured I would tackle this 1st, then on to the B1452:13-08 and U3003:16-08 codes I'm getting from the RGTM. But I'll fight that battle another day.

Thanks for your help,

Al

20240204_115942.jpg

Edited by al303

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am having the same issue with the speakers not working. It was intermittent at first. But now, no sound at all. I have yet to do any diagnostics, but I'll get there later today.

However, I have another question, as I have seen several forums, blogs, whatever where this issue was being discussed and the owner of the car also mentioned the power liftgate issue. It seems unlikely that they could be related, so is it mere coincidence that 3 or 4 people mentioned this problem? I also have problems with the liftgate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it doesn't. But sometimes it will try to open and then the dash says it's ajar. Then I have to booty bump the liftgate to make it latch or the battery will die. So if 3 or 4 mentioned the issue, convinced the issues are not related, how many didn't mention it because they were also convinced that they were unrelated?

I'm having this no audio issue as well (my power liftgate is working fine though).  It went out in November 2023.  When turning on the car the normal startup chimes come from the instrument panel instead of the speakers.  The audio system "looks" like it's working, however there is no sound.  All the Sync 3 menus show up and work.  Nav works, Android Auto works, just no audio.  Rotating the volume knob has no effect.  The volume indicator on the screen doesn't even appear when rotating the volume knob.  When trying to raise/lower the volume with the steering wheel control the on-screen indicator appears but just shows Audio Volume at level 0 and won't move.

I checked for error codes and got two codes:

• U0238:00-0B  "Communication With Digital Audio Control Module D is Lost. -Accessory protocol Interface Module (APIM)"
  • U3000:94-08  "Control Module-Digital Audio Control Module C (DACM-C)"

I've performed a soft reset on Sync3.  I've tried the hard reset by disconnecting the batter for a couple hours.  Neither step resolved the issue.  I then sucked it up and took the car to the dealer (where it sat for 3 days before they even looked at it, but that's another story).  They got it working again by allegedly performing a firmware upgrade to something (not sure if it was the ACM or the APIM or something else).

However, five months later, I'm right back to where I started.  The audio went out again last week with the exact same conditions and error codes.

I'm not certain my issue is exactly the same as al303's, but should I take it back to the dealer or look for any specific replacement parts?

Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

May not be actually related, this happens to my ACU every once in awhile. It happens right after I start to car and lasts for a few minutes.

In my case, the radio is off line, 

upgrading. There's a very small visual indicator along the bottom informing me. (States "upgrading".) 

Nothing in the manual about this. One of those things Lincoln let's you figure out for yourselves. 

Probably not your problem, but it may happen to others occasionally and thought I'd mention when you hear no audio, check the screen to see if there's a mention of "upgrading" present.