2022 ST Brakes, Tires, Rotors & Battery went bad (Lease)

Kee

I (leased) my New 2022 Edge ST brand new 2 years ago.  Once I started driving it and stopped at lights, I would hear a loud squealing noise (remember brand new).  I took it to the dealer service twice and complained and they said it was normal because it is a high performance vehicle/brakes.  So til this day, it still squeals whenever I stop at a light.  I thought, I wonder if any other people with Edge ST's hear the same noise.

OK, so here is the kicker.  I have been leasing Ford since 2007 and never had these issues 2 years in.

I have had 3 oil changes (with tire rotation and checks) so far. My Edge currently has 23,0000 miles on it.  A few weeks ago when I got the 3rd oil change at the Ford dealership service area, they had to:

• CHANGE MY BATTERY BECAUSE IT WAS GOING DEAD
  • TOLD ME MY BRAKES ARE BAD AND NEED CHANGING
  • MY ROTORS ARE BAD AND NEED CHANGING
  • MY TIRES (by the way which are $400each) ARE BALD AND NEED CHANGING

I do not drive crazy with my car, I have little children so I am very careful how I drive.  Again, I have had leases since 2007 and never had to do this with any of my new leases.

I don't know what to do because this stuff is not covered under warranty except for the battery which they changed for me.

The tires are like special tires because it's ZR 21-inch high-speed tires. ( not that easy to get used ). 

I am hearing all tires have to be the same or I will mess up the All Wheel Drive on the Edge.

I am so mad right now.  This stuff is expensive (rotors too) and I feel like something is up.  I should not be having these problems 2 years in.

I love my truck, it's cute but I can't......smh

Does anyone else have a similar problems or do I have a dud?  Any help or advice?

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 5.46.29 PM.png

Edited by Kee
miss spelled word

Sounds like your dealership service manager is trying to pay his boat off faster.

Did you check and confirm that all those brake parts were past their useful service life, or just take the word of the service shop?

If you did check and confirm the brake parts needed replacement then "I do not drive crazy with my car" doesn't sound correct, and isn't the norm.

You could have had the battery tested at AutZone free of charge, but no issue with that if it was replaced prematurely under warranty.

• Like 3

I make it my practice to regularly question whatever the dealership service department wants to sell me.  Dealership service departments get REALLY excited about selling you services.  I flat out do NOT trust one of my local dealers (the one I purchased from incidentally).  I recently went in and had a 'complementary oil change' done (included in my purchase) and they told me - your pads are at 4 mm - which is getting close to needing replacement.  Next oil change - green condition on the brake pads - meaning plenty of wear material left.

I verify everything that outfit 'recommends' that I have done. 

Tires should be easy to visually see - if they are bald - as you say and have no tread - take them to an independent shop and ask for their evaluation.  For sure you will get better quality for cheaper  than what the dealer will want to charge buying the tires elsewhere.  

Edited by TourGuide
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 7:22 PM, 1004ron said:

Sounds like your dealership service manager is trying to pay his boat off faster.

Did you check and confirm that all those brake parts were past their useful service life, or just take the word of the service shop?

If you did check and confirm the brake parts needed replacement then "I do not drive crazy with my car" doesn't sound correct, and isn't the norm.

You could have had the battery tested at AutZone free of charge, but no issue with that if it was replaced prematurely under warranty.

Thanks for replying!!!

Hi, so I took a detour.   I got the premium rear brakes from Advance Auto ($59.99) and had my backyard mechanic who has been doing brakes for years change them for $50.  He looked at my rotors and said "You do not need to change these rotors, they're ok". The brakes YES it was flat as a pancake...SMH!

As far as the tires go, my tires came with 265/40ZR/21 (105Y) Perilli.  I went to a used tire place and they had 4 used Perilli tires same tire size and speed number ---except it was (101Y) not (105Y) 265/40ZR/21 (101Y) .  I know it is the weight difference, but I was told it would be ok.  I not hauling huge furniture in my truck or anything.   The sticker on the door said I have to put on (105Y).  Hopefully, I am ok because I drove about 4hours yesterday on the highway and everything seemed smooth.  Just trying to keep the truck up until I have to turn it in.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 7:54 PM, garycrist said:

I see the red calipers, didn't some of those pads have normal rapid wear?

Take a picture of the 4 rotors through the wheels and post them here.

We will quickly help determine if a quick pad change will work.

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I love the red calipers, that is what sold me on the car!  I don't think I had normal rapid wear on brake pads.  I got the premium rear brakes from Advance Auto ($59.99) and had my backyard mechanic who has been doing brakes for years change them for $50. He looked at my rotors and said "You do not need to change these rotors, they're ok".  I still will take a photo of my rotors once I leave work today and upload them.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 11:50 PM, TourGuide said:

I make it my practice to regularly question whatever the dealership service department wants to sell me.  Dealership service departments get REALLY excited about selling you services.  I flat out do NOT trust one of my local dealers (the one I purchased from incidentally).  I recently went in and had a 'complementary oil change' done (included in my purchase) and they told me - your pads are at 4 mm - which is getting close to needing replacement.  Next oil change - green condition on the brake pads - meaning plenty of wear material left.

I verify everything that outfit 'recommends' that I have done. 

Tires should be easy to visually see - if they are bald - as you say and have no tread - take them to an independent shop and ask for their evaluation.  For sure you will get better quality for cheaper  than what the dealer will want to charge buying the tires elsewhere.  

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I could see that the tires were bald.  I changed to used tires. 4 for $290 Perilli

• Like 1

You got the Performance Brake and Tire Package.  Summer tires, which wear out twice as fast and high performance Brembo brakes which also wear more quickly.   I made sure my ST had neither when I bought it, so it came with all-season 20" wheels and tires and standard brakes.  Both are wearing fine.  Why are you angry and blaming Ford or the dealer?  You bought a car with a performance option you didn't need, understand or want.  It's no ones fault but your own.

• Like 1

I totally disagree. I bought my 21 and 24 (traded in) with the Performance Brake and Tire Package. Best choice you could make. After all it's an ST, not an ST Line. Why cut the car short on performance and handling just to save a few bucks. I do understand if you live in colder climates this might not be an option, but it really allows the vehicle to perform like a TRU ST. And it adds an awesome performance look!

That being said, it sounds like the dealer is trying to make a few bucks. I drove my 21 pretty hard (at times) and took advantage of the tires and brakes on some good twisting winding roads to enjoy it for those exact reasons. When I traded it in at 12k, the tires showed some wear, but were still at 75%, brakes were fine. Both vehicles do not (and never have) squealed when stopping at a light. That is a bunch of dealer BS. They don't want to deal with it and are lying to you.

You like the look of the vehicle and sounds like you drive relatively passively, you should have not had to replace those items so soon. 

Regarding all tires have to be the same or they will mess up the all-wheel drive, that only means they all need to be the same size. Brand is your choice.

The battery should have lasted longer, but sometimes they fail early. Under warranty, your advantage.

You do have to be careful nowadays as there are a lot of dealers who are crooked and will try to take advantage. At the same time there are some good ones too and hopefully a lot more than the bad ones.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, todd92 said:

You got the Performance Brake and Tire Package.  Summer tires, which wear out twice as fast and high performance Brembo brakes which also wear more quickly.   I made sure my ST had neither when I bought it, so it came with all-season 20" wheels and tires and standard brakes.  Both are wearing fine.  Why are you angry and blaming Ford or the dealer?  You bought a car with a performance option you didn't need, understand or want.  It's no ones fault but your own.

When did Ford switch to Brembo brakes on the Edge ST? AFAIK, they use the stock calipers (painted red) with performance pads.

Brembo brakes are reserved for certain performance models in the Mustang lineup.

• Like 3

The available ST Performance Brake Package includes 21-inch premium gloss black-painted aluminum wheels, front and rear vented disc brakes, unique front rotors, Colorado Red-painted brake calipers, brushless radiator cooling fan, performance brake pads, summer-only tires and vented brake shields.

Got this from the Ford website. They aren't Brembo. 

One thing I could never figure out is the Brushless Radiator Fan. Why would they use this?

Edited by STBEAST
  • Like 1

When I sold Yokohama tires back in the late 80's, the only tire to have were the

A001s for the track, in most of the road racing classes. For the street were the A008s.

One would last 1K-8K with the BETTER driver receiving fewer miles. While the other

tire would last 30K-60K with the BETTER driver receiving the best mileage!  The quizzical

looks and questions would flow after I made those statements.

So, getting "short" wear life out of HP products is expected. That is why they gave the Joker

option.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, STBEAST said:

The available ST Performance Brake Package includes 21-inch premium gloss black-painted aluminum wheels, front and rear vented disc brakes, unique front rotors, Colorado Red-painted brake calipers, brushless radiator cooling fan, performance brake pads, summer-only tires and vented brake shields.

Got this from the Ford website. They aren't Brembo. 

One thing I could never figure out is the Brushless Radiator Fan. Why would they use this?

Brushless motors are more efficient and last longer than brushed motors. Having said that, I have no idea as to what configuration is used on the non performance brake variant.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 10:18 AM, todd92 said:

Thank you todd92, for your opinion and for pointing that out!  Just came on here for some help and advice which you so kindly gave.  Your right! I am a female who brought a performance option I didn't need, understand, or want.  THANKS for that advice and help.  Now, I know what to get next time, sweetie!  

On 5/14/2024 at 11:41 AM, STBEAST said:

I totally disagree. I bought my 21 and 24 (traded in) with the Performance Brake and Tire Package. Best choice you could make. After all it's an ST, not an ST Line. Why cut the car short on performance and handling just to save a few bucks. I do understand if you live in colder climates this might not be an option, but it really allows the vehicle to perform like a TRU ST. And it adds an awesome performance look!

That being said, it sounds like the dealer is trying to make a few bucks. I drove my 21 pretty hard (at times) and took advantage of the tires and brakes on some good twisting winding roads to enjoy it for those exact reasons. When I traded it in at 12k, the tires showed some wear, but were still at 75%, brakes were fine. Both vehicles do not (and never have) squealed when stopping at a light. That is a bunch of dealer BS. They don't want to deal with it and are lying to you.

You like the look of the vehicle and sounds like you drive relatively passively, you should have not had to replace those items so soon. 

Regarding all tires have to be the same or they will mess up the all-wheel drive, that only means they all need to be the same size. Brand is your choice.

The battery should have lasted longer, but sometimes they fail early. Under warranty, your advantage.

You do have to be careful nowadays as there are a lot of dealers who are crooked and will try to take advantage. At the same time there are some good ones too and hopefully a lot more than the bad ones.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions

THANK YOU, STBEAST for understanding!  I came on here for advice because I wasn't sure and knew there were some people with the same/similar car that might be helpful.  Again, I have leased so many Edge's since 2007 and never had this many problems in less than 2 years of having the car.  And I am certainly not going to come on here to try to get advice but then lie about how I am driving the car.  If I drive crazy, then I'm going to say so. 

So, guess what?

I decided to call Perilli about the tires and BINGO, they said the ZR is for extremely high speeds and made with very soft rubber, so you can drive normally every day, those particular tires will for a fact go bald faster and around a few years.  I SAID OK, SO I AM NOT CRAZY AND I AM NOT DRIVING CRAZY LIKE I SAID IN MY EARLIER POST.  They confirmed it's the type of tires and no it's not my fault. 

The dealer may be trying to get in on some service and parts $$ but I did tell the service lady I was going to find a workaround (cheaper way) to replace these things on the car and she said no problem she would too!  LOL

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 9:54 AM, GTSnake said:

GTSnake.....Thank you so much for sending me the links!

It made me call Perilli and look further into my tire situation.  I was able to ask questions and get some answers and options. Again, thanks for looking out, that is what I came on this platform for.