Windshield wipers

igcitng

Is 20" the correct size for the Edge? Are both wipers 20's?

Also, is there a wiper that seems to work best or do they all seem to fit the same? The ones that came on it have never worked from day one.

Thanks.

Hi igcing. :D I do not have the wiper blade specs handy at the moment. To save yourself some time, it may be quicker to take a measuring tape and measure the length of the blades on your Edge. Usually (but not always) the left and right blades are two different size due to the area they need to clear.

Also, keep in mind that the wiper blades actual length will often be slightly shorter than the "Part #" size. So a 20" blade will often measure approximately 19.5". A 19" blade may measure 18.5", etc etc. So if you measure them yourself, round up.

As far as brands to use? There will be no end to the discussion on that. I use the Motorcraft "Premium Wear Indicator Wiper Blades". There are usually coupons available on the Ford Fleet or Ford Genuine Parts and Service" websites for $19.99 a pair, installed. I just purchase with the coupon and install them myself. They have always performed well for me and I would recommend them.

Bottom line is that any name brand, upper level wiper blade will usually be a quality blade. Let's face it, it is not rocket science, it is simply a type of squeegee. It all comes down to personal preference and experience.

Concerning your factory blades never working from day one: Again, a wiper blade is a basic and simple device. If it is not clearing the windshield properly when new, it normally means that the wiper blade/windshield has some type of substance on it which is hindering the cleaning ability of the wiper blade. In that case, the Owners Manual explains what can be used to clean the wiper blade/windshield to help restore proper function.

Here is a copy and paste from the Owners Manual:

WINDOWS AND WIPER BLADES

The windshield, rear and side windows and the wiper blades should be

cleaned regularly. If the wipers do not wipe properly, substances on the

vehicle’s glass or the wiper blades may be the cause. These may include

hot wax treatments used by commercial car washes, water repellent

coatings, tree sap, or other organic contamination; these contaminants

may cause squeaking or chatter noise from the blades, and streaking and

smearing of the windshield. To clean these items, follow these tips:

• The windshield, rear windows and side windows may be cleaned with

a non-abrasive cleaner such as Motorcraft Ultra-Clear Spray Glass

Cleaner (ZC-23), available from your authorized dealer.

• The wiper blades can be cleaned with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or

Motorcraft Premium Windshield Washer Concentrate (ZC-32-A),

available from your authorized dealer. This washer fluid contains

special solution in addition to alcohol which helps to remove the hot

wax deposited on the wiper blade and windshield from automated car

wash facilities. Be sure to replace wiper blades when they appear

worn or do not function properly.

• Do not use abrasives, as they may cause scratches.

• Do not use fuel, kerosene, or paint thinner to clean any parts.

If you cannot remove those streaks after cleaning with the glass cleaner

or if the wipers chatter and move in a jerky motion, clean the outer

surface of the windshield and the wiper blades using a sponge or soft

cloth with a neutral detergent or mild-abrasive cleaning solution. After

cleaning, rinse the windshield and wiper blades with clean water. The

windshield is clean if beads do not form when you rinse the windshield

with water.

Do not use sharp objects, such as a razor blade, to clean the

inside of the rear window or to remove decals, as it may cause

damage to the rear window defroster’s heated grid lines.

If the above maintenance does not work, then it is likely time for new wiper blades.

In addition, according to when your Edge was produced and when you purchased (I believe you purchased about 3 months ago?), your Edge could have been sitting on the lot for some time before you purchased it. Wiper blades (the rubber portion) will age and lose efficiency simply from sitting in the sun and elements. In general, it is recommended that wiper blades be replaced every 6 months. Of course, actual lifespan will vary from case to case, but that is a good rule of thumb to start with.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Yes, thank you. :)

I bought a new 2008 this February, and I am pretty sure it sat around awhile, so guessing ice and sun wore them out before I even bought it. I noticed that the housing for the rear wiper looks ratty, like it would on an older car.

I had some RainEx ones on my Blazer, they were pretty good. I am awhile away from going in for an oil change to have the dealer put some on, they are driving me crazy.

• 6 months later...

The drivers and passenger wipers are not the same. They use different part numbers. I don't know what exact length they are, but I know they are different.

Here is a tool that will look up the exact correct quality wiper for your Edge, even the third wiper.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?zo=313120

Quality Trico Wiper lookup for your Edge

I was actually looking to see if anyone has had issues with the washer nozzels breaking off; mine just fell apart but it doesn't seem to be a common issue.

I was actually looking to see if anyone has had issues with the washer nozzels breaking off; mine just fell apart but it doesn't seem to be a common issue.

I've replaced the washer nozzeles on my MKX. I had a few hail dents in the hood & the shop that fixed them broke one side. They glued it & it eventually fell apart. I broke the other side. I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue, since they are rather flimsy & brittle. The up side is they only cost around 5-6 dollars.

My wipers never wiped correctly from the dealer either. At first they said that the wipers may have needed to break in, maybe they sat in one position and were just laying incorrectly for sometime,,,, well they never broke in, and that extra wipe that's programmed in just leaves a messy smear when i try to clean the windows.

I did remove and remount the windshield wiper upside down, (the blade itself is obviously unidirectional) but it did help the streaking problem for a while, its back now,,,, so Ill either have to flip it again, or just deal with the smears...Oh well

EDIT: So I rotated my blades again, and guess what? They work perfectly. When they start to streak again, Ill flip them over again.

Edited by Edgieguy

My wipers never wiped correctly from the dealer either. At first they said that the wipers may have needed to break in, maybe they sat in one position and were just laying incorrectly for sometime,,,, well they never broke in, and that extra wipe thats programmed in just leaves a messy smear when i try to clean the windows.

I did remove and remount the windshield wiper upside down, (the blade itself is obviously unidirectional) but it did help the streaking problem for a while, its back now,,,, so Ill either have to flip it again, or just deal with the smears...Oh well

My '08 needed new wipers. They were streaking, but just slightly--- so, I made the BIG MISTAKE of relying on a big name-- Michelin--- seems like they have jumped into the wiper business. The unfortunate part of that is what they sell is pure junk. Made by Pylon -- plastic blade material that scrapes and shudders across the windshield.

I tried them and after one run in the rain, I took them back for a refund. My old blades wiped better and a whole lot quieter. I'll simply leave the old ones in place till I find blades or refills that are made of real rubber or silicone---

Edited by flyerjmr33