Used 2008 SEL AWD...Should I Be Concerned?

Taylor Daly

Ive been driving and viewing used 08 Edge SELs in my local area (midwest) and have been spending plenty of time on the net trying to do my proper research. I love the way they look, the way they drive, etc.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the PTU & transmission issues. Ive found a used 08 AWD SEL within warranty at a great price that fits what Im looking for, however keep going back and forth fighting nerves on purchasing it due to the reported issues.

Now I understand that you have to take the net with a grain, etc. But do any of you have suggestions as far as purchasing a used 08? Should I be overly concerned about the PTU stuff? Should I be waiting for an 09 model? Id love to purchase new, but it would be a few months before I would be in that position. A used one right now would put my monthly payments at a place I would love them to be.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. The intention was to look at this specific vehicle today.

Ive been driving and viewing used 08 Edge SELs in my local area (midwest) and have been spending plenty of time on the net trying to do my proper research. I love the way they look, the way they drive, etc.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the PTU & transmission issues. Ive found a used 08 AWD SEL within warranty at a great price that fits what Im looking for, however keep going back and forth fighting nerves on purchasing it due to the reported issues.

Now I understand that you have to take the net with a grain, etc. But do any of you have suggestions as far as purchasing a used 08? Should I be overly concerned about the PTU stuff? Should I be waiting for an 09 model? Id love to purchase new, but it would be a few months before I would be in that position. A used one right now would put my monthly payments at a place I would love them to be.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. The intention was to look at this specific vehicle today.

If the 08 isn't leaking now then it's probably ok. And even if it does the current fix seems to work as long as the dealer follows the directions.

Anyone else care to chime in or elaborate? Reading up on the PTU stuff has made me slightly uneasy about purchasing the Edge, and Im trying to determine if I am being too concerned or if this is a deserved hold-up.

08 Limited AWD, 23k miles. To date, not a drop of any fluid leaking from any ware. Keep in mind that people don’t post to these forums unless they have trouble. There is a lot of Edges on the road and I doubt the majority of them have any leaks either.

Be sure to price out a new 2009. The incentives are great right now. Because you are concerned about the condition of a used vehicle (as I would be), your peace of mind will be much better with new, if it is close to the same payment.

Do your research at Ford.com, edmunds.com, nada, and kbb.

Good luck.

I thought about buying used as well. but when you buy new you get 0% financing for 60 months. Used - the best they could do was around 6%. So the payments wound up being only about $50 different. That was a no brainer to me. Have you researched the interest rate you will be getting on the used one to compare the payments?

I got the 2009 Edge, even after reading about problems. Of course you can google any vehicle, and find nightmares. It's all about what risk you are willing to take. We all have had good cars, and probably had a bad one. I got a 2002 Jeep Liberty when it came out in 2001. First year design. Everyone told me not to get a first year vehicle. Well I just used it for a trade in. Never had a problem with it, I mean nothing. 80,000 miles on it and only replaced the tires. Even got a good price. $8000 for an 8 1/2 year old vehicle. So my point is, don't worry too much about it. Whatever vehicle you get could be a lemon, but odds are you will not have any major issues with it.

Thanks all. Ive talked to quite a few service managers and mechanics I trust and am totally comfortable with the vehicle now. Still looking in the used market to try to get the most for my price range. Currently looking at lightly used 09s. I want something I can drive into the ground without many frills, so basically keeping an eye on 09 AWD SELs. Just gotta find the right one at the right price. ;)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I bought an 08 SEL AWD that was certified pre-owned. They have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and for only 1200 they offered me a bumper to bumper extended warranty to 100,000 miles. If you're tripping over the common problems, I suggest getting the extended warranty.