20 inch AWD plastic chrome clad wheel

Mbdmarlow

I need some help. We just bought an awesome 2009 Edge w/AWD and the Chrome Alloy Wheels, 20-In. X 7.5-In option. They change the entire look of the Edge and we have had so many compliments on it. My wife was driving it the other day and coming out of a parking lot and the rear passenger tire dipped down into a street storm drain and damaged the chrome alloy plastic on the wheel. We are devasted. I have researched this and am horrified to find out that we would have to pay over 800 dollars for one wheel as the chrome alloy is bonded to the rim?? Heck the option to upgrade to these things was only 895 for all 4 wheels!!

Anyway, here is the question. Are we screwed and have to buy a new wheel or is there anyone out there fixing these things? I presume the wheels are here because of the pressure to reduce wt to meet the new CAFE regulations. Surely someone has figured out how to fix them rather than making the consumer buy one for 800 dollars every time one gets dinged on the road or at the tire rotation store down the road???

Who can shed some light on this? I have called Ford Customer Service and wanted to speak to the Edge engineers and inquire how someone could make a part so unfriendly for the consumer after market but got no where. Is there anyone out there that has any info on this?? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mbdmarlow

Hello,

I have a 08 Edge Limited with the 20s on it. My wife recently hit a chunk of road debris and it bent the rim. I was told that a new 20 chrome clad rim from my dealership would only be 500.00!! I searched the internet and found a new 20 takeoff rim from a custom shop for only 195.00. If you look around you should be able to find the same deals!! Check ebay, Detroit Tire, etc. I too do not understand why they created the wheels the way they did but i will also respond that they DO look incredible awesome and i too have gotten SEVERAL comments about our Edge!! Good luck!!

I need some help. We just bought an awesome 2009 Edge w/AWD and the Chrome Alloy Wheels, 20-In. X 7.5-In option. They change the entire look of the Edge and we have had so many compliments on it. My wife was driving it the other day and coming out of a parking lot and the rear passenger tire dipped down into a street storm drain and damaged the chrome alloy plastic on the wheel. We are devasted. I have researched this and am horrified to find out that we would have to pay over 800 dollars for one wheel as the chrome alloy is bonded to the rim?? Heck the option to upgrade to these things was only 895 for all 4 wheels!!

Anyway, here is the question. Are we screwed and have to buy a new wheel or is there anyone out there fixing these things? I presume the wheels are here because of the pressure to reduce wt to meet the new CAFE regulations. Surely someone has figured out how to fix them rather than making the consumer buy one for 800 dollars every time one gets dinged on the road or at the tire rotation store down the road???

Who can shed some light on this? I have called Ford Customer Service and wanted to speak to the Edge engineers and inquire how someone could make a part so unfriendly for the consumer after market but got no where. Is there anyone out there that has any info on this?? Thanks in advance.

These chrome wheels do make all the difference in how the Edge looks, they are just a pain in every way.

I doubt that the plastic chrome makes them lighter, there is still a big ol' rim under it.

For $800.00 I would buy a new set of real chrome rims. If I do not buy a new Edge next year I am prob going to replace the plastic rims, mine are showing corrosion already. A long Chicago winter will prob make a mess of them.

There was a known problem with these wheels and they'll replace them at no charge under warranty if they're showing damage not caused by a collision.

The wheel itself is a lot lighter than the wheels they use for chrome plating. Also real chrome is subject to pitting over time. These should last a lot longer (now that the manufacturing defect has been corrected).

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the Edge Team at Ford and ask them? I work for a consumer good company and people get call backs from our engineering and development folks all the time. Is there any site on this forum that allows you to ask those sort of questions (like the chrome rim issue) of the designers at Ford?

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. The dealer is no help! all the want ot do is sell you new rims. It is crazy to make a wheel that cant be repaired. The dame time is plastic under the chrome. It should pop off for repair. I complained to the Ford Zone office and got a form letter telling me to as the dealer for help. I already did that. It is a big rip off. They should not sell these wheels if they cant repair them. You dont replace the entire door if you get a scratch in it. VERY POOR DESIGN. NO THOUGHT PUT INTO IT FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

There was a known problem with these wheels and they'll replace them at no charge under warranty if they're showing damage not caused by a collision.

The wheel itself is a lot lighter than the wheels they use for chrome plating. Also real chrome is subject to pitting over time. These should last a lot longer (now that the manufacturing defect has been corrected).

What exactly was the defect in manufacturing.....and how was it rectified. I know they are now using a different supplier and I did have all 4 rims replaced due to pitting and peeling of the outer cast aluminum rim. Lacks apparently has a better process for the abs plastic chrome, but the problem is with the very outer part of the wheel. I did specify to have the wheel weights placed inside the rim and they did do that. I would just like to know the different manufacturing process or material/coating that is used on the outer rim. I know the 20's completely cover the whole wheel with no visible metal lip.

• 5 months later...

What exactly was the defect in manufacturing.....and how was it rectified. I know they are now using a different supplier and I did have all 4 rims replaced due to pitting and peeling of the outer cast aluminum rim. Lacks apparently has a better process for the abs plastic chrome, but the problem is with the very outer part of the wheel. I did specify to have the wheel weights placed inside the rim and they did do that. I would just like to know the different manufacturing process or material/coating that is used on the outer rim. I know the 20's completely cover the whole wheel with no visible metal lip.

we also have a 2010 Edge limited, 20" wheels, two have bent, and I am in the process of having my insurance adjuster meet me at the dealer to take pictures of

the damaged wheels so i can at last get something out of this. service person said dents were caused by chuckholes, and i don't really believe it as we drive pretty carefully and not very far. car has about 6100 miles on it. we were denied anything by ford, stating it they were not defective, but they will not give me the damaged wheel, unless i pay a $250 core charge in addition to the almost $800 i paid for the wheel. it all sounds like bs to me, but we are stuck with having to get another wheel unless i want to keep puttting in air every other day or so

• 5 months later...

post-8568-080616700 1282965878_thumb.jpg

I'm sadly joining the club... I do not understand how such a poor decision can be made about wheels.

If there's something in a car that is subject to most impacts and hazards after the tires, it's the wheels!!!!

My MKX is amazing, I like everything about it, except those disappointing wheels.

Don't forget that the Navigator has the exact same 20" wheels (but 6 lugs) but in chrome alloy and NOT chrome-clad! And guess what they are less expensive too!

see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-09-Lincoln-Navigator-20-chrome-wheel-center-cap-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f4c86b52QQitemZ300459518802QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

Edited by Malek Racho

• 4 weeks later...

post-8568-080616700 1282965878_thumb.jpg

I'm sadly joining the club... I do not understand how such a poor decision can be made about wheels.

If there's something in a car that is subject to most impacts and hazards after the tires, it's the wheels!!!!

My MKX is amazing, I like everything about it, except those disappointing wheels.

Don't forget that the Navigator has the exact same 20" wheels (but 6 lugs) but in chrome alloy and NOT chrome-clad! And guess what they are less expensive too!

see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-09-Lincoln-Navigator-20-chrome-wheel-center-cap-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f4c86b52QQitemZ300459518802QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

Jhnybgd,

What size are they (18's or 20's) and from what model year edge?

Are they brand new and do they have the TPS sensors in them?

I'm "unofficially" looking for a set of winter rims for my 2011 and checking out my options right now.

Where you located?

Tony

Edited by Dreamss

• 1 month later...

Ford has a service bulletin out on the 20 inch chrome clad wheels. I took my car in and complained that I was hearing a rattling sound out of all four wheels. My tech ordered me four new wheels and switched my tires over for nothing.

Unfortunately tonight, about 3 months later, my wife hit a curb while parking and tore up the front passenger side wheel.

I love how they look, but the chrome clad, which allegedly cannot be fixed, is a nightmare once they get scratched. :banghead:

:rant:

Also see this thread for info:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/2750-20-wheels/

Edited by Mike08EDGE

• 1 year later...

My wife did the same thing to one of her wheels on her 2009 Edge limited' hers came with the 20" already. So I bought her a new set of after market wheels and tires. Then she hit and wreaked one of them also which cost me another $560 in addition to the $2,000 wheel package.

Anyway I now have the four wheels and tires with the one scraped cover on one of them in my storage shed that I would like to get rid of. Like you, I have been looking for just one so I could sell the whole set but wow they are costly.

If you want to make me an offer for the set that may be an opion for you then you would have two more good backups in case your wife hits another pot hole or curb.

Let me know!