Mileage is Horrible thus far ...

pbc

Well, my wife has put about 3500km on the car so far, and while I enjoy the ride and love the vehicle, we are getting 14L/100km and over on it. Grant it, very little highway driving, but this mileage seems ridiculous to me in the suburbs.

My 2004 Lexus RX330 (also a V6, albeit only about 230hp and 17" rims versus 20"), gets 10L/100km with say 60/40 hwy/city split. That means the Ford is getting 40% worse. A couple trips we took early on which were 90% highway and I was only getting about 11L/100km and wasn't impressed, but thought it was because the car was brand new (I can get into the low to mid 9's with the Lexus on similar trips). Note, yes, these are all based off the computers for each truck (though with the Lexus I have confirmed the results when I used to track km versus amount of gas at fillup).

I sure hope this gets better with age!!

Well, my wife has put about 3500km on the car so far, and while I enjoy the ride and love the vehicle, we are getting 14L/100km and over on it. Grant it, very little highway driving, but this mileage seems ridiculous to me in the suburbs.

My 2004 Lexus RX330 (also a V6, albeit only about 230hp and 17" rims versus 20"), gets 10L/100km with say 60/40 hwy/city split. That means the Ford is getting 40% worse. A couple trips we took early on which were 90% highway and I was only getting about 11L/100km and wasn't impressed, but thought it was because the car was brand new (I can get into the low to mid 9's with the Lexus on similar trips). Note, yes, these are all based off the computers for each truck (though with the Lexus I have confirmed the results when I used to track km versus amount of gas at fillup).

It's not going to get any better. I was surprised by the low mileage also.

Trade in your Edge and get a Prius. I can't stand that people complain about mileage in vehicle rated at about 17 or 18 MPG city. If you wanted better mileage, get a hybrid. It's not like you should be surprised by the performance.

Actually, the Edge is "rated" at 12.5L/100km according to ...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tool...SP&Mfg=FORD

Not sure how that correlates to MPG. The same site rates the Lexus a tad worse at 12.8...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tool...SP&Mfg=LEXU

So to be achieving 14 to 15 is ridiculously high.

My wife has a very light foot, and even when I drive it I try to be much less aggressive than I am even with the RX330 to see if I can get better gas mileage out of it. Something seems off. Others have mentioned that the mileage "gets better with age", hence the question.

But thank you for the suggestion to purchase a Hybrid. It was helpful.

Trade in your Edge and get a Prius. I can't stand that people complain about mileage in vehicle rated at about 17 or 18 MPG city. If you wanted better mileage, get a hybrid. It's not like you should be surprised by the performance.

If I got the EPA rating of 18 & 23 I'd be real happy but all I'm getting is 15 & 20 from a V6 with a 6 speed trans! I have a right to be disappointed. My V8 AWD Mountianeer got 15 & 20 and that was the EPA rating.

Looking over the other fourms there are lot of unhappy people with the mileage but it does seem the only the ones with AWD. The FWD models do seem to get a much better mieage.

I have one of the ones with the bad PTU that will be replaced next week. Maybe the mileage will improve.

Edited by LFJ2025

The way a car is driven can have a lot to do with the mileage, no matter how good or bad the EPA rating is.

Driving style certainly does seem to be a major factor in determining the mileage. Check out this Top Gear clip from YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk ... admittedly an extreme example, but it does illustrate the point... and pretty amusing too!

If I got the EPA rating of 18 & 23 I'd be real happy but all I'm getting is 15 & 20 from a V6 with a 6 speed trans! I have a right to be disappointed. My V8 AWD Mountianeer got 15 & 20 and that was the EPA rating.

Looking over the other fourms there are lot of unhappy people with the mileage but it does seem the only the ones with AWD. The FWD models do seem to get a much better mieage.

I have one of the ones with the bad PTU that will be replaced next week. Maybe the mileage will improve.

Geez, just buy a Prius ... ;)

Driving style certainly does seem to be a major factor in determining the mileage. Check out this Top Gear clip from YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk ... admittedly an extreme example, but it does illustrate the point... and pretty amusing too!

Agreed, but a 30% or more difference seems outlandish, plus, as I said, my wife drives with a light foot as do I when I'm in the Ford (embarrassingly light foot to see if I can get the mileage down).

In any event, it is what it is, just thought I'd vent!

I LOVE it!!! Die granola cars!

And not to hijack the thread, but one of my concerns with what I drive is size. Small cars have such high injury and death rates. I also read the the hybrids can be difficult to get into to rescue people because of the electricity going thru the car, can electrify the frame, etc in a severe crash. Just a tid bit.

Also, when it comes time to replace all the batteries that power the car....probably in 3 years or so....the fuel savings fly right out the window!

The batteries have a 8 year/100k warranty minimum and sometimes 10 yr/150k depending on the state. And NYC taxi cab Hybrid Escapes have gone 350K without changing the batteries.

The batteries have a 8 year/100k warranty minimum and sometimes 10 yr/150k depending on the state. And NYC taxi cab Hybrid Escapes have gone 350K without changing the batteries.

I notice with our 09 Limited AWD, it's very easy to speed and accelerate, the engine is very well tuned and has lot of power. On our trip from up north in the summer I drove very easy on the pedal around 90 to 100KM/h, just to see what's the best mileage possible. The computer calculated consumption was 8.4 l/100km. We had 20,000km on the car and I think that's why. I think it takes long time to brake-in the engine.

Geez, just buy a Prius ... ;)

Are you having an affair with a Prius or has one done you wrong? Just kidding.

My point is: if I get the same mileage with a V6 as I did with my V8 I'll get a V8 when this lease is up. I just thought the V6 would get 2-3 more miles to the gallon but it has not been true.

Look on the 08 and 09 fourms there are pages on mileage. No more needs to be said.

Actually, the Edge is "rated" at 12.5L/100km according to ...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tool...SP&Mfg=FORD

Not sure how that correlates to MPG. The same site rates the Lexus a tad worse at 12.8...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tool...SP&Mfg=LEXU

So to be achieving 14 to 15 is ridiculously high.

My wife has a very light foot, and even when I drive it I try to be much less aggressive than I am even with the RX330 to see if I can get better gas mileage out of it. Something seems off. Others have mentioned that the mileage "gets better with age", hence the question.

But thank you for the suggestion to purchase a Hybrid. It was helpful.

I just picked up my 2010 Edge AWD today. Around a 50 mile drive home on the interstate. I got 22.4 MPGs according to the trip computer. Hardly anything to complain about on a vehicle that had 40 miles on it. My 2007 Edge FWD could barely get 23-24 HWY. Wife's Subaru Tribeca can barely get 21-22 MPG HWY.

We bought a 2010 Unlimited AWD and I agree that the mileage is not as good as expected but coming from a ' 07 Jeep Rubicon I will deal with it as this thing has all the bells and whistles and on top of that it is fast....(compared to any Jeep Rubicon).... :hyper:

• 1 month later...