Tire repair

tpm419419

Is it me or are the prices to repair a tire through the roof? I had a simple nail in the tire and was charged 28.99 for the repair. It cost something like 32.00 by the time tax was added. I was told because it is a large tire they charge more. I think I have had tractor trailer tires repaired cheaper then that :wacko:

I am in NY by the way

Truck tires are not even plugged anymore. At least not by reputable companies. I am a tractor trailer driver and every flat is broken down on site and patched from the inside.

Yesterday I had to have 2 flats repaired, one on my Edge and one on my wife's Scion Xb. The Xb was 19.99 and the Edge with 18" rims was 29.99

Same size patch and the machine didn't work any harder getting the tire off the rim

And that is how they get you

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Edited by tpm419419

We have Discount Tire Stores all over the place here. They repair for free to bring in customers. They broke down the last tire I had repaired there, plugged the tire, nipped the plug flush on the inside and patched from the inside. I could see a shop charging for 30 minutes labor on a tire repair if they have to break it down. Thirty bucks sounds about right.

Why does it always seem that the more expensive the tire, the more crap you pick-up from the road. I have 35X12.50 inch tires on my truck, to the tune of $350.00 a piece and I have picked up more miscellaneous road debris than any other vehicle I can remember. Every time I hear a "Ticking" noise from a tire I sweat to the tune of $700.00. They are directional and must be replaced in pairs, at least.

We have Discount Tire Stores all over the place here. They repair for free to bring in customers. They broke down the last tire I had repaired there, plugged the tire, nipped the plug flush on the inside and patched from the inside. I could see a shop charging for 30 minutes labor on a tire repair if they have to break it down. Thirty bucks sounds about right.

Why does it always seem that the more expensive the tire, the more crap you pick-up from the road. I have 35X12.50 inch tires on my truck, to the tune of $350.00 a piece and I have picked up more miscellaneous road debris than any other vehicle I can remember. Every time I hear a "Ticking" noise from a tire I sweat to the tune of $700.00. They are directional and must be replaced in pairs, at least.

YEP on Discount Tire

Left rear about 2 months ago, it had a hex head wrench in it... Big :banghead: hole but they broke it down patched it and NO charge.

ab

In Ontario no shop I have stopped at does plugs any more. Its always a removal/inside patch/reinstall. I stop at a lot of construction sites and pick up nails/screws all the time. The law is apparently 2 patches per tire and then you replace it. I will see as one tire has already been double patched.

Cost at an idependent tire store is about 27 dollars (Cdn). The counter guy told me they don't make money on repairs but i find that hard to believe as they don't need to take up a hoist bay to pull the tire (dolly jack works fine) and the guy doing the patch is usually the lowest seniority staff member. It took 15 minutes last time I was there so by my math it seems like someone is making some money somewhere.

didn't know plugs were stopped in usage.. and do not care to much that they were. I carry a plug kit - the industry standard forever that now seems to be fallen out of favor - but still works fine. Bet the guys in backwoods towns still use plugs. Anyway.. at least with a plug kit, you can pull off a self repair if needed since you do not have to take the tire off the rim or wheel off the car.

Can't say I've ever plugged a tire with the wheel still on the vehicle. Sounds like a lot more work than breaking out the jack and taking off a few lug nuts.

You're kidding right? You just roll the tire until you can access the hole, then push the plug in and cut it off. How could it be simpler?

It's actually very easy. You find the foreign object, pull it out, shove the reamer tool into the hole and leave it there so the tire doesn't go flat. Put the plug into the plug insertion tool and coat the plug with the vulcanizer/glue. Move the reamer tool inside and out several times to rough up the wall of the hole. Pull out the reamer tool and insert the plug. Once the plug is through the tire you pull the tool out which automatically cuts the plug on the inside so it doesn't pull back out. Cut the plug flush with the tire using wire cutters and your done. I consider it an emergency/temporary fix and recommend going to a repair shop for a patch ASAP. It's something you can do on the side of the road which is much faster then changing to the spare or waiting for AAA.

you guys got it.. simple process really.

as for getting to a repair shop for a repair ASAP after using a plug, not me. Again, plugs were the industry standard forever. I had a plug in a tire for 3-4 years. Sold it with the plug it. As far as I know, the new owner is still rolling with it. Costco did that plug for me as that was what was used then and they offered it for free since I bought tires then. A plug, if done right, will last the life of a tire no problem. no reason to also go get a patch IMHO. if they worked for life before, they did not stop working since patches came out.

you guys got it.. simple process really.

as for getting to a repair shop for a repair ASAP after using a plug, not me. Again, plugs were the industry standard forever. I had a plug in a tire for 3-4 years. Sold it with the plug it. As far as I know, the new owner is still rolling with it. Costco did that plug for me as that was what was used then and they offered it for free since I bought tires then. A plug, if done right, will last the life of a tire no problem. no reason to also go get a patch IMHO. if they worked for life before, they did not stop working since patches came out.

I believe there were isolated cases of plug failures in certain circumstances - probably rare. The patch eliminates those rare circumstances and it also lets the tire shop check the condition of the tire from the inside. I think it's just a case of having a slightly better option that was not previously available.