PTU Fixed

igcitng

Ok. Today the stinky Edge was fixed. Thank goodness it was done in one day because my rental car had to come from Enterprise, and it was a full size Dodge pickup with a crew cab. Drove it to work and it did not even fit in the parking spot. The Ford service guy almost bust a gut when I told him what I was driving. I thanked him profusely for getting it back to me today.

Here is how the service ticket reads for the techies.

L65 C FRT AXLE SEAL LEAKING

Installed 8T4Z 7275 DC KIT-SEAL

DIAG REPLACED INTSHAFT SEAL LEAKING

Explanations welcome. And thank you for all of the help with this in earlier posts. shades.gif

Ok. Today the stinky Edge was fixed. Thank goodness it was done in one day because my rental car had to come from Enterprise, and it was a full size Dodge pickup with a crew cab. Drove it to work and it did not even fit in the parking spot. The Ford service guy almost bust a gut when I told him what I was driving. I thanked him profusely for getting it back to me today.

Here is how the service ticket reads for the techies.

L65 C FRT AXLE SEAL LEAKING

Installed 8T4Z 7275 DC KIT-SEAL

DIAG REPLACED INTSHAFT SEAL LEAKING

Explanations welcome. And thank you for all of the help with this in earlier posts. shades.gif

Basically they replaced the seals where the half shaft [axle enters the transmission. the DC Kit-seal is a component of the PTU. So all in all your PTU and its seals were changed. :shift:

Based on what others are posting.... this may be the last time you have to worry about the issue :happy feet:

Basically they replaced the seals where the half shaft [axle enters the transmission. the DC Kit-seal is a component of the PTU. So all in all your PTU and its seals were changed. shift.gif

Based on what others are posting.... this may be the last time you have to worry about the issue happy feet.gif

Nice. That makes me very happy. :) One less thing to worry about. As always, thanks for the reply. shades.gif

yeah i took mine in on friday for the 2nd time but went to a different, BETTER dealer this time...

the repalced the seal and it was still leaking with a new designed one, so they gave me free loaner, while hopefully the new part comes tomorrow, they are hoping ot have it fixed properly this time...

My concern now is if i should try and get an extended warranty i have 10k miles left on my bumper to bumpber and if this keeps happening than what?

---

update,

got her back today, all seems well again, no smell, its warmer out so i feel like i wont know for sure how the new seal will hold until it gets cold again...this dealer i goto now is probably one of the best ive dealt with so hope all will be well...

the numbers for the tsb are as follows

tsb: 09-25-7 (1.6 092507A)

8T4Z-7275-DC Kit S.

Edited by jourabchid

yeah i took mine in on friday for the 2nd time but went to a different, BETTER dealer this time...

the repalced the seal and it was still leaking with a new designed one, so they gave me free loaner, while hopefully the new part comes tomorrow, they are hoping ot have it fixed properly this time...

My concern now is if i should try and get an extended warranty i have 10k miles left on my bumper to bumpber and if this keeps happening than what?

---

update,

got her back today, all seems well again, no smell, its warmer out so i feel like i wont know for sure how the new seal will hold until it gets cold again...this dealer i goto now is probably one of the best ive dealt with so hope all will be well...

8T4Z-7275-DC Kit S.

Where you from and what dealer did you go to?

---

update,

8T4Z-7275-DC Kit S.

As with all car warranties, once it is up it is up. Except the heater coil issue that they extended the warranty for in lieu of repairing all of them right now.

The Dealer who fixed mine told me that the repair is covered up the 6/60k power train coverage. My repair was permormed at around 30k miles, even if I had to have the repair done myself out side the warranty, I dont think it would be an outrages cost. Its only a seal kit and around a 3 hour repair. (I could be wrong though)

What Im trying to say is, If your thinking of an extented warranty just for the PTU seal I dont think its worth it. Those warrantys are very expensive. On the other hand, if you plan on keeping the vehical a long time and want all around piece of mind, thats a diferent story.

Hi guys. :D Just to avoid any confusion: The Powertrain Warranty for Ford and Mercury vehicles is 5 years/60,000 miles. For Lincoln vehicles it is 6 years/70,000 miles.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Opps, sorry my mistake. I knew that to, dont know why I said 6? Thanks for correcting me.

Lenny

Opps, sorry my mistake. I knew that to, dont know why I said 6? Thanks for correcting me.

Lenny

After getting the seals repaired in January I still see something leaking on my driveway. I was under the impression that the new redesigned seals will do the job but I ques not. So I will have to go back to the dealer and see what they say. I will keep you all posted.

• 1 month later...

After reading many posts on this subject - I'm still frustrated that after 3 - months of back and forth about the stinky smell on my edge i got the seal "fix" and today just driving a few miles and stopping and going in traffic - STILL have the smell - I can't stand it - now going on for 6 months - dealer says nothing is leaking, and the levels are not low - yet how do you get rid of the smell when sitting in traffic - backing up etc. --and it's on and off not everytime I drive the Edge??? Mine is a 2007 AWD SEL and this started at about 30,000 -

my last resort is to trade it - yet I love the car and wonder if the 2010 is having the same issue??

thanks for any info

After reading many posts on this subject - I'm still frustrated that after 3 - months of back and forth about the stinky smell on my edge i got the seal "fix" and today just driving a few miles and stopping and going in traffic - STILL have the smell - I can't stand it - now going on for 6 months - dealer says nothing is leaking, and the levels are not low - yet how do you get rid of the smell when sitting in traffic - backing up etc. --and it's on and off not everytime I drive the Edge??? Mine is a 2007 AWD SEL and this started at about 30,000 -

my last resort is to trade it - yet I love the car and wonder if the 2010 is having the same issue??

thanks for any info

Different dealer. If they just look at it they won't see a leak, the stuff burns off and that is why it smells. Not to jinx myself but I have had no problems since it was fixed. Mine was fixed with a newly designed seal, hopefully they did not use the old seal to repair yours, creates the same problem.

First set of seals done on my 08 in January with 13.5k miles. three week wait for redesigned seals. Second set done on 4/8 with 17k mi., had in stock and was done in one day. Third time's the charm - leaking 2 weeks later. Was down 2 qts of fluid had roadside tow it in (again). Got Ford customer service involved, and expressed my disappointment and no-confidence in the repair (no fault of dealer, they can't fix a bad design). So Ford approved an entire PTU case replacement. Let's see if this makes it to the 3 month mark!

First set of seals done on my 08 in January with 13.5k miles. three week wait for redesigned seals. Second set done on 4/8 with 17k mi., had in stock and was done in one day. Third time's the charm - leaking 2 weeks later. Was down 2 qts of fluid had roadside tow it in (again). Got Ford customer service involved, and expressed my disappointment and no-confidence in the repair (no fault of dealer, they can't fix a bad design). So Ford approved an entire PTU case replacement. Let's see if this makes it to the 3 month mark!

Wow what a mess. Mine went bad early on, I have an 08 also. I only had about 8 or 9k miles on it, right now I have about 12,700 or so. Had the seals replaced and so far so good, but it has been said here that the cold weather is what does them in, so when winter comes again we'll see. It started when it got cold and I had it repaired as the weather broke this spring. I would love to get a 2011 Edge, I hope this problem does not show up in the new ones. Let us know how yours goes please. :)

Wow what a mess. Mine went bad early on, I have an 08 also. I only had about 8 or 9k miles on it, right now I have about 12,700 or so. Had the seals replaced and so far so good, but it has been said here that the cold weather is what does them in, so when winter comes again we'll see. It started when it got cold and I had it repaired as the weather broke this spring. I would love to get a 2011 Edge, I hope this problem does not show up in the new ones. Let us know how yours goes please. :)

Just stopped back at this site to make another reply after just last week! Got my Edge back on the road last friday (April 23) and on April 25 - started out from the house and after just a mile or two - the worst noise i ever heard from the rear ~~ turned around and parked it - next day April 26 - had roadside assistance tow it into the dealership. --Today, April 28th hear that the transfer case is to blame and will be replaced - but on back-order....

On the bright side - received a Edge Limited to take it's place while in the shop -- does anyone know if the 09's or newer are redesigned? The Edge is great other than this problem. ...thanks

:cry:

Not even one week and the car is getting towed in in the morning. The entire PTO case was changed this time. This is the 4th repair with less than 18k miles on it (17.7 to be exact). I am awaiting a call back from the Ford case worker. I am in my right at this point to enfore the lemon law, but i'd rather resolve it with Ford first. Maybe they will offer a replacement?

Not even one week and the car is getting towed in in the morning. The entire PTO case was changed this time. This is the 4th repair with less than 18k miles on it (17.7 to be exact). I am awaiting a call back from the Ford case worker. I am in my right at this point to enfore the lemon law, but i'd rather resolve it with Ford first. Maybe they will offer a replacement?

Wow. Yours must have been built on a Friday. What a hassle for you. I hope they get it right this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...