Problem with door ajar sensor

I have been having an intermittent problem with the driver's door of my '07 Edge SEL AWD indicating that it is ajar (warning and interior lights on) when it is not. In order for it to quit, I have to either VERY firmly close the door (slam it more or less which I hate) or open and close it a few times until it senses that it is in fact fully closed. It just started this this winter. My Edge is out of warranty, but is VERY well maintained. Any tips or suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks.

normally those sensors that trigger those are a plunger/pin sensor on the door. in the case of the Edge, on the inside front most portion of the door (towards the engine) there is a black arm that pushes into the door when closed. I "suspect" that arm actuates the plunger inside the door that works these sensors. That is where I would start. pull the door panel - piece of cake on the Edge - and inspect that area/wiring/etc and see what you can see as a start.

normally those sensors that trigger those are a plunger/pin sensor on the door. in the case of the Edge, on the inside front most portion of the door (towards the engine) there is a black arm that pushes into the door when closed. I "suspect" that arm actuates the plunger inside the door that works these sensors. That is where I would start. pull the door panel - piece of cake on the Edge - and inspect that area/wiring/etc and see what you can see as a start.

Ā 

Ā 

Now that the weather is better I was thinking of giving that a try. Nothing on the arm you speak of is corroded or in bad condition. I was suspecting that might be it, or there is a trigger of some sort in the latch mechanism. I wish I knew what to look for. I miss that old plunger now...

Edited by TORQUERULES

Now that the weather is better I was thinking of giving that a try. Nothing on the arm you speak of is corroded or in bad condition. I was suspecting that might be it, or there is a trigger of some sort in the latch mechanism. I wish I knew what to look for. I miss that old plunger now...

Ā 

I think that plunger is for the alarm system and the door ajar warning is in the latch mechanism (that's where it used to be on previous Fords). Try spraying some wd-40 into the latch and operating it a few times.

it is in the latch mech. common issue with gm but have seen it in dodge and ford as well.

Ā 

Latch Left

Quantity: 1

Ā 

Make: Ford

Model: Edge

Model Year(s): 2007

List Price: $62.38

Your Price: $49.28

Description:

LATCH

Remove from cart | Edit Quantity: Update

Ā 

Ā 

Price: $49.28

Ā 

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpartswebsite/index.php?i=6&key=0&action=additem&o=6499400&qty=1&optionid_1=0&modelyear=2007&stop=h3sjmydf5zrx5czrzk2ss5hf28&price=49.2802&optionSets=&rmake=123&rmodel=1271&ryear=2007&subcatid=&section=141&sfid=89&type=parts&rpage=0#bottom

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I tried everything so now I am replacing the latch (it came in today). The door panel comes off easy, but the inner black panel is not so easy. Anyone know how to remove this so I will not break anything?

Ā 

Thanks.

Ā 

it is in the latch mech. common issue with gm but have seen it in dodge and ford as well.

Ā 

Latch Left

Quantity: 1

Ā 

Make: Ford

Model: Edge

Model Year(s): 2007

List Price: $62.38

Your Price: $49.28

Description:

LATCH

Remove from cart | Edit Quantity: Update

Ā 

Ā 

Price: $49.28

Ā 

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpartswebsite/index.php?i=6&key=0&action=additem&o=6499400&qty=1&optionid_1=0&modelyear=2007&stop=h3sjmydf5zrx5czrzk2ss5hf28&price=49.2802&optionSets=&rmake=123&rmodel=1271&ryear=2007&subcatid=&section=141&sfid=89&type=parts&rpage=0#bottom

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I had to put in a new latch. I had the fuses out of positions 9 and 10 in the driver's side interior fuse box in order to keep my interior and puddle lights from staying on when the latch wasn't working properly. I put them back in and the interior lights all work but I have mysteriously lost my puddle lights. Any ideas? I love my puddle lights...

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

My 2011 Ford Edge Limited, the drivers door ajar sometimes won't go out, even if you open and close the door multiple times. Based on all the problems I've seen with this issue, there needs to be a recall. This is a Safety issue, because the doors will not lock while your driving if the door ajar light is on! There are some parts of town that I don't like the idea of my wife driving and she can't lock the doors?

• Like 1

Bad part of town is not reason for a recall. Unless it poses a direct safety hazzard, no recall is ever going to happen. Its an electrical switch, things like this wear and brake, ours was replaced at 22,000 miles and 2 years old. Do I think there should be a better design, heck yes, ford has been having issues with the switch for 10+ years now.

• 3 months later...

I took my 2011 Ford Edge in when the door ajar was an intermittent problem (and under warranty), they said come back when they could diagnose the problem. When I did come back because it was on most of the time, it was out of warranty, and they want to charge me $282 to fix it. Aargh! You want a safety recall? The other day my door ajar did not come on, but the rear passenger door did. I did not notice the difference. My 6 year old son was behind that door. There's your safety concern.

• 6 months later...

I am having the same issue and when I went to the dealership they wanted $500. If so many people are having the same issue, and just as the warranty goes out, why is Ford not sending out a recall to correct the issue.

Ā 

Mine is much worse in the heat and humidity.

Ā 

AHHHH it is driving me crazy and making me want to trade it in and never have a Ford again.

I am having the same issue and when I went to the dealership they wanted $500. If so many people are having the same issue, and just as the warranty goes out, why is Ford not sending out a recall to correct the issue.

Ā 

Mine is much worse in the heat and humidity.

Ā 

AHHHH it is driving me crazy and making me want to trade it in and never have a Ford again.

Ā 

When did you bring your Edge into the dealer, Stephanie Dries Russell? Let me know and I'll look into various options on my end.

Ā 

Todd

I don't know about Stephanie but I brought mine to the dealer about 2 weeks ago and was quoted around $450. Mine started doing it just after the warrenty ran out and got worse over the last few months to the point it was doing it all the time.

Ā 

Kevin

I don't know about Stephanie but I brought mine to the dealer about 2 weeks ago and was quoted around $450. Mine started doing it just after the warrenty ran out and got worse over the last few months to the point it was doing it all the time.

Ā 

Kevin

Ā 

Are you still experiencing this concern, or were you able to perform the fix yourself (per the video above)? Let me know, Kevin.

Ā 

Todd

Ā 

Are you still experiencing this concern, or were you able to perform the fix yourself (per the video above)? Let me know, Kevin.

Ā 

Todd

Ā 

I bought the latch from the dealer and put it in myself and made the video(see link in my earlier post) of how to do it since so many seemed to be having this problem. Not only that but I had to do the job twice because the new latch was defective and wouldn't open using the outside handle

Edited by kkrace

I bought the latch from the dealer and put it in myself and made the video(see link in my earlier post) of how to do it since so many seemed to be having this problem. Not only that but I had to do the job twice because the new latch was defective and wouldn't open using the outside handle

Ā 

Gotcha! Thank you for spending some time making a video for fellow forum users. :) If your concerns return, let me know.

Ā 

Todd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ford could agree to warrentee these defective latchs that are failing?

Hello kkrace,

Ā 

I hope all is well with you. Since your vehicle is out of the new-vehicle limited warranty, and has no recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs, itā€™s recommended the vehicle be brought in to your dealer and to speak to your service manager about the concern. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Ā 

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Ā 

Have a great weekend! :)

Ā 

Tricia

My "door ajar" issue was corrected (so far) by TSB 14-0011 at my Ford / Lincoln service.....not sure what exactly was done, but they did not replace the latch assembly.

My understanding is that what they do is connect a "special tool" to the electrical connector of the latch -- apparently to pass an electrical current through the switch contacts. Then they manually cycle the tumbler with a screwdriver or similar device about 20 times from open to closed and back to open. Then they test the switch contacts and if all is well they slap it back together and declare it fixed. In my case this "fix" lasted less than two weeks and so we are heading back to the shop on Monday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ā 

Glad to hear this, twintornados! Let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Ā 

Todd

Ā 

FordService-

Ā 

Ā 

I have a 2013 Ford Edge Limited and I started having this same problem just a couple weeks ago. It was intermittent at first, but not the system always thinks the door is ajar. When I lock it with my keyfob, it locks but the lights stay on and it honks twice, indicating that it thinks a door is open. This will cause the cars interior and exterior lights to come on randomly. This is a problem with I live in an apartment complex in a not-so-safe part of town. Tonight I found 2 guys looking in my car while the interior lights were on. I've called my local Ford dealership and was told it's about $450 to fix. This is ridiculous. Not to mention the dome lights staying on while driving at night IS a safety concern because it impedes my ability to drive safely because I can't see outside as well with lights on inside. Can you help me get this fixed? This shouldn't be happening on a 1 year old car.

Ā 

Thanks,

Laura