Vista Roof in Florida

I didn't get the Vista Roof on my '08 because I opted for the DVD entertainment system. Now with the DVD being installed in the headrests I have options. My only worry is there may be added heat radiating from the ceiling when I have it closed and am trying to cool the vehicle (even with the sun shade closed). I'm guessing it's not insulated as well as a normal roof. What are your experiences with the heat factor?

given you can flip on the AC, put in a windshield solar block and close the vista roof shade, I would never let this issue even come close to deciding if I got the BAMR roof. The BAMR is so awesome, any heat issues are short term versus the long term benefits of that roof. sure, it is not an insulated.. but what, maybe a few degrees diff between the BAMR and a normal roof? is that worth not having that killer roof? heck no.

BTW, I have had mine in hot heat of CA, AZ, UT, CO - sure, its hot but again.. whatever, I take other steps.

"Now with the DVD being installed in the headrests I have options" - what do you mean "now"? you could have had that from day 1 in your '08??

Edited by Lex Talionis

I mean tin 2008 Ford didn't offer DVD Entertainment in the headrest from the factory. Sure there was aftermarket products but I never looked into that.

ahh yes, I see what you meant.

you in fact could have had DVD in the headrest from the factory in an '08 (Option 90C in Comfort/Convenience options) UNLESS you got the Vista. I remember that was an odd option selector. So of course, for me that is, the Vista roof was the only way to go. But I see you elected to have the DVD and not the Vista.

But now that that is a done deal, why ask about the Vista? It is not like you can now add that, so I am confused as to where this is going :huh: are you insinuting your looking to get a new Edge with the BAMR and want to know if it is worth it - from heat perspective - now that you can get DVD players all day long?

I would say heck yeah, but I never would have made that decision in the first place :)

I didn't get the Vista Roof on my '08 because I opted for the DVD entertainment system. Now with the DVD being installed in the headrests I have options. My only worry is there may be added heat radiating from the ceiling when I have it closed and am trying to cool the vehicle (even with the sun shade closed). I'm guessing it's not insulated as well as a normal roof. What are your experiences with the heat factor?

I live in Oklahoma and it has already been over 100 this year. I agree with everyone's response. BAMR is a must have. Even with the poor A/C design for 2008 it doesn't add that much more heat to the vehicle. I did tint the front windows and use a sun shade. I am heading for the mountains of Colorado in two weeks and can't wait to have the BAMR open for the view and mountain air!

• 1 month later...

In my experience on a normal roof car there isn't any real insulation up there. It's the same flimsy stuff you see at the edge of the BAMR on the Edge. Which is pretty much the same stuff that the shade is made of. So when that's closed you pretty much have the same insulation. I find they do stop heat and cold quite well though. I know in the winter time with a regular moon roof/ sun roof whatever you want to call it, I could feel the cold coming through the glass, once I closed the shade.. no more. (Could be due to the old hair line running away on me) I'm thinking it won't be any different with the larger BAMR on the Edge. I'll find out once the -40 comes back this winter.

I'm in central Oklahoma where it is 105 today. No problems with the BAMR radiating heat. One thing I have learned is not to keep my sunglasses in the roof mounted sunglass holder during the summer. Too hot to handle when I took them out. :censored:

Steel is a bigger conductor of heat than glass. In my 2.5 months of use, I have found that the BAMR on our 2010 Edge does not heat up the car as much as our other two cars. In addition, I can vent the car on really hot days to allow the air to circulate a little more, reducing the internal temp without compromising security.

• 1 month later...

The BAMR is the reason we first looked at the Edge. We would never have on with out it. We love driving it while open and even with only the shade open. It is a beautiful

design and a must have for us. We live near St. Louis, where heat and humidity is abundant. No problems for us. We close the shades, and add our sun shields to the window. The BAMR

is the Edge's version of a convertible.....LOVE IT! :happy feet: :happy feet: