Daytime Driving lights

Exactly what comes on with the daytime driving lights. Is it the straight high beams coming on , or is it a dimmed setting on of the high beams of the 9005 bulbs? And does the Edge have any sensors that indicate if any of the lights are blown or not working?

• 5 months later...

From what I read in the manual it is just a dimmed setting on the lights. Can not remember if it is the high or low beams. I would have to say it is the low beams. As for letting you know if you have a blown blub I would say it will. There is a systems check that you can scroll through that tells you if everything is working. I know this is an older post saw it was not answered.

do american vehicles have drls?

Some do - mainly GM vehicles. But it's not a legal requirement here in the states so it's up to the mfr. Previous Fords were equipped with them but they weren't activated from the factory - the dealer could go in and turn them on. The 2011 Edge and MKX don't appear to have that option now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on Daytime Running Lights -

I went to the dealership where I bought my 2010 Edge and asked them about activating the DRL's. After about 45 min, they said they couldn't do it. So, I went back and did some research online and e-mailed the service manager the following (taken from other online DRL threads) :

I was in today getting my Edge serviced and talked to you about getting the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's) activited. I found a discussion thread that might help in the Ford Edge Forum:

Daytime Running Lamp Activation:

Q: I would like to do this. Are you saying that it is a simple software switch and all the hardware is already installed at the factory?

A: Yes, it is a simple programming change to enable/disable the DRL's. The Dealer does it through the Exterior Lighting menu in the diagnostic system / Smart Junction Box (SJB).

Q: Can we do it ourselves?

A: Only the dealer can do it through the SJB - instructions are in the dealer service manual.

Q: Cost?

A: Cost will vary according to Dealer. Most will do it for free if you purchased there. Others I have heard charge up to 1/2 hour labor/diagnostic time. It is a 15-20 minute job at most.

It sounds like it can be done. I appreciate you checking to see if you guys can do it. Let me know.

Thanks,

xxx

After sending him that e-mail, he responded that he checked with his supervisor and they couldn't do it. So, I took my Edge to another local Ford dealer. I explained the situation that I was looking for someone to activate my DRL's for me and would probably be looking for a new dealership to do future service & maintenance. I also gave them a copy of the above e-mail and he said he'd see what he could do. I was sitting in the lobby of the dealership for literally about 5 minutes when the service advisor came back and handed me my keys and told me that it was all taken care of. The DRL's would come on when I put it in Drive. There was no charge for the service.

Now my DRL's are working great! I keep the headlight switch on the "Automatic" setting with the fog lamps pulled on. When I put it in Drive, the headlights come on at a lower light level along with the parking lights. When the headlamps sense that it's getting dark or rainy, the headlamps go to full brightness and the fog lights turn on, just like they used to. When I turn off the car, everything turns off automatically.

The new dealership I took it to will be getting my business in the future.

• 2 years later...