a/c fan is weak

so its heating up here in so. cal, and noticed with the fan selector on number 4 it just seems so weak, compared to any other car i have, takes so long to cool down and doesn't even move my wifes hair, took it to dealership and they said its normal, they been getting tons of complaints but thats just the way it is.

my two questions are

is this normal?

and

is there anything i can do?

its a 2009 edge sel

so its heating up here in so. cal, and noticed with the fan selector on number 4 it just seems so weak, compared to any other car i have, takes so long to cool down and doesn't even move my wifes hair, took it to dealership and they said its normal, they been getting tons of complaints but thats just the way it is.

my two questions are

is this normal?

and

its a 2009 edge sel

I don't know anything about the 2009 but I have a 2008 edge and I notice the air flow is really bad too. I usually end up running my on full fan. I do notice that if you change on the selector to dash board only or feet only it works better, but when you have it on both it just doesn't do much. I thought they had changed that for 2009 because they had so many complaint about it in the 2007 and 2008, obviously they didn't. I have also read in posts that if you aren't using a certain vent to close it and it might help the air flow, I haven't really tried that yet.

I live in Phoenix so heat is an ongoing factor here. I have a 2010 and have no issues whatsoever. I leave the climate control set at 73 and even on the hottest days there is no problem cooling down the interior, the climate control even turns down the blower speed after a bit and this is on a Tuxedo black Edge....of course the windows are tinted so dark that you can't see through them but that is a necessity here. Like others have said if you have a system that has the cabin air filter it may be time for a change.

c**p ????

Probably crap---

My '08 works just fine here in Houston--- set it on 73 degrees and the auto does the job--- even after sitting out in the sun for a few hours. We've had a recent month of close to 100 degree days with humidity above 50%--- if that a/c was weak, I'd be camped out at the Ford Dealer----

Ok I have the same weak fan issues, after reading many of the posts I decided to take a look myself.

The fan is located behind the glovebox, If your glove box is overloaded this may sow down the air intake.

If not here is what you need to do.

1.Empty the golvebox, on the floor is fine.

2.on the right side of the glovebox is a string that acts like a door opener........carefully unhook it there is an oblong hole for this purpose.

3.now you will need to remove the box as you open it it will stop on 2 plastic pegs one on the right and one on the left,

flex the carefully flex the box inwardon both sides so the box opens allthe way to the floor, it will come of its hinges thats ok.

4.You have read that there is a filter location there is no filter but there is a screen we will remove the screen.

on the fan housing behind the glovebox you just removed there is a tab toward the left side you will press this tab and remove this little plastic cover from left and the right side just slides in.

5. once this is removed there is a screen just like in your dryer slide this out and remove all the lint, get it all or after you install it it will blow all over your car.

there is writing on the screen to tell you wich side goes in first.

Once this is cleaned put it all together like you took it apart in reverse order.

[[][Do not use force on any of the steps and no tools required]

This worked for me the AC one again blows like it should

if you have weak blower problems this will remedy it.

Remember there is not a filter its a screen.

good luck,

No fix for the vents

• Like 1

my two questions are

is this normal?

and

its a 2009 edge sel

See my post to remedie this John T

Ok I have the same weak fan issues, after reading many of the posts I decided to take a look myself.

The fan is located behind the glovebox, If your glove box is overloaded this may sow down the air intake.

2.on the right side of the glovebox is a string that acts like a door opener........carefully unhook it there is an oblong hole for this purpose.

3.now you will need to remove the box as you open it it will stop on 2 plastic pegs one on the right and one on the left,

flex the carefully flex the box inwardon both sides so the box opens allthe way to the floor, it will come of its hinges thats ok.

4.You have read that there is a filter location there is no filter but there is a screen we will remove the screen.

on the fan housing behind the glovebox you just removed there is a tab toward the left side you will press this tab and remove this little plastic cover from left and the right side just slides in.

5. once this is removed there is a screen just like in your dryer slide this out and remove all the lint, get it all or after you install it it will blow all over your car.

Once this is cleaned put it all together like you took it apart in reverse order.

good luck,

No fix for the vents

All with climate control systems have a filter

I noticed the weak fan on my 2007 also.

But I think this is because the vent openings are pretty large. If they were smaller, the air would come with more force out of them.

In other words: the amount of air is okay and sufficient, the air speed isn't.

Bastian

i think thats the problem, its the amount of air being forced out is weak. so i took about the glove compartment, noticed the screen was filthy, cleand it out and tried it, worked 100% better, seem to cool down alot quicker, the amount of air was a bit stronger as well but not as strong as i will like it but you can tell the difference.

thanks everyone that helped out.

i think thats the problem, its the amount of air being forced out is weak. so i took about the glove compartment, noticed the screen was filthy, cleand it out and tried it, worked 100% better, seem to cool down alot quicker, the amount of air was a bit stronger as well but not as strong as i will like it but you can tell the difference.

thanks everyone that helped out.

Shutting down the rear vents when no one is in the back seat will increase the front vent airflow also----- A little duct tape works wonders!

Edited by flyerjmr33

All with climate control systems have a filter

Take out the filter than and it will work as designed rember to replace it and get the new part if there is indeed a filter on your model

Mine has no climate control

this is literally a 15 minute job

just try it your ac alredy does not work well what do you have to loose

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know anything about the 2009 but I have a 2008 edge and I notice the air flow is really bad too. I usually end up running my on full fan. I do notice that if you change on the selector to dash board only or feet only it works better, but when you have it on both it just doesn't do much. I thought they had changed that for 2009 because they had so many complaint about it in the 2007 and 2008, obviously they didn't. I have also read in posts that if you aren't using a certain vent to close it and it might help the air flow, I haven't really tried that yet.

I have a 2007 with the same problem. Now, the heater barely blows and its 11 degrees outside. I"ve read the blogs about the heater core. Ford dealer told me it was normal also. IT REALLY STINKS THAT FORD WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

You would think that the first Ford guy that turned on the A/C would have noticed this problem!! My 2007 has the same problem! My "disposable" 2003 Focus has 10 times the air flow volume of the high priced Edge!! We have complained to Ford several times.....they say there is nothing wrong with it! :banghead:

• 5 months later...

I was so disgusted by the weak air flow that I was about to trade the car in. But then I was told about the in cabin air filter that is located behind the glovebox. I took the glove box out and pulled the filter out and it was completely caked up. I used an air compressor, and even that took some effort, but once it was cleaned out, it was like magic! The air flow quadrupled, and it didn't cost me a cent. Definitely worth a check! I have never had to change or clean one of these in any vehicle before, so it was a surprise. That's another reason the glove box door seems to make a difference because the blower is behind it.

• 2 years later...

good luck,

No fix for the vents

• Like 1

Does anyone else have an extremely weak fan when on Feet + Dash vents? On full speed, it barely trickles out, but when on feet or dash seperatley they work like normal. My cabin filter is clean, but the car can't even maintain it's cool when on both. Max Speed on feet+dash is less than the lowest speed on just dash.

I would love to know if this is specific to all Edges or just mine

Edited by Elotrain

• 1 month later...