rear bumper cover bulging

krishtall

Noticed recently that in the very hot days, if the car sits outside for a while rear bumper cover start bulging in two places. When I brought my car into garage it went normal. Is that an issue?

Hi krishtall. :D Well, it is all according to what you mean by "is that an issue". If you are asking if it's an issue that we hear often from Edge/MKX owners, the answer is no. If you are asking if you in particular are having an issue, then the answer is yes.

However, you don't give much detail, such as where the bumper cover is bulging, how much it is bulging etc.. Your best bet would be to bring the car to the Dealership on a hot day, park it in the sun while you go in to get a Service Writer and show them what you are describing to us.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

Noticed recently that in the very hot days, if the car sits outside for a while rear bumper cover start bulging in two places. When I brought my car into garage it went normal. Is that an issue?

Hi krishtall. :D Again, your best course of action would be to bring your vehicle to the Dealer (on a hot day to replicate the issue) so the bumper cover can be inspected for fit and defects. If you are still within the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty, the fit problem will be corrected.

Let us know the outcome.

• Like 1

Hi krishtall. :D Again, your best course of action would be to bring your vehicle to the Dealer (on a hot day to replicate the issue) so the bumper cover can be inspected for fit and defects. If you are still within the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty, the fit problem will be corrected.

Let us know the outcome.

Yes, that's my next move, see what heppens.

Mine is doing the same thing! I have a 2010 and have noticed it lately in the hot weather. I'm thinking about removing the black pad-strip. Any thoughts on that???

Hi _10112. :D My recommendation/opinion would be the same as the advice to krishtall: Take it to your Dealerships Service Department on the next hot day you have time to spare, and show them exactly what you are describing. In this way, since your Edge is still under Warranty, any repairs/replacements for defects in material or workmanship will be covered. If you mess with the bumper pad/bumper cover yourself and accidentally cause any damage, you could run into problems with any necessary Warranty repairs/replacements.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Hi _10112. :D My recommendation/opinion would be the same as the advice to krishtall: Take it to your Dealerships Service Department on the next hot day you have time to spare, and show them exactly what you are describing. In this way, since your Edge is still under Warranty, any repairs/replacements for defects in material or workmanship will be covered. If you mess with the bumper pad/bumper cover yourself and accidentally cause any damage, you could run into problems with any necessary Warranty repairs/replacements.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Ok, folks. Took it to a dealer on Friday and like I thought they don’t now what to do with it. They refer me to a ford's body shop to take some pictures and measurements. Following pictures will be sent to ford for their judgment. See what happens next. It is really not a big of the deal, but I think it should be brought to their attention. By the way I have a ford's original protective tape on top of the bumper cover, it just could be reactions of the glue, who knows....

Ok, folks. Took it to a dealer on Friday and like I thought they don’t now what to do with it. They refer me to a ford's body shop to take some pictures and measurements. Following pictures will be sent to ford for their judgment. See what happens next. It is really not a big of the deal, but I think it should be brought to their attention. By the way I have a ford's original protective tape on top of the bumper cover, it just could be reactions of the glue, who knows....

Hi krishtall. :D You did the right thing. Even if they did not know how to fix the issue yet, by bringing it to the Dealers attention Ford will be notified of the problem. Could be a production tolerance issue, a materials defect, a defect in the fastening process, etc.. But at least Ford will now learn of the issue (if they did not already know), find a fix and correct the problem.

Please keep us updated.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Krishtall. Looks like you've met the resident dbag already.

To answer your question. Yes, I've experienced the rear bumper warping during hot conditions.

Specifically right were the hatch meets the bumper. I'd just attribute this to the poor quality materials Ford uses

in constructing their bumpers. Nothing can be done about this is what you'll hear from the stealership.

Why would you call him a resident dirt bag?

• Like 1

On Friday took my ford in ford's body shop. They looked my bumper and were surprised why dealership sends me to them. According to shop dealer supposed to initiate a warranty repair order and then direct me to shop. Any way, after approximately fifteen minutes of pleasant talking, and that was surprisingly true, about edges bumper warping problem which they new they has it, I went back to dealer. This time I ask for a service manger. After five minutes of explanation what is going on he sad that it will be replaced under warranty. However that is common issues with Edges. Quality of their plastic bumper covers not so well. I am still thinking whether to replace it or leave it like it is. New bumper will probably get warped under sun again and I can be at least guarantee that new bumper paint will not get loose or start cracking in an period of time..

On Friday took my ford in ford's body shop. They looked my bumper and were surprised why dealership sends me to them. According to shop dealer supposed to initiate a warranty repair order and then direct me to shop. Any way, after approximately fifteen minutes of pleasant talking, and that was surprisingly true, about edges bumper warping problem which they new they has it, I went back to dealer. This time I ask for a service manger. After five minutes of explanation what is going on he sad that it will be replaced under warranty. However that is common issues with Edges. Quality of their plastic bumper covers not so well. I am still thinking whether to replace it or leave it like it is. New bumper will probably get warped under sun again and I can be at least guarantee that new bumper paint will not get loose or start cracking in an period of time..

Unless they changed the supplier or came up with a new design to solve the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's 105 degrees today in Los Angeles and I just noticed my bumper doing the same thing :(

I actually came on here just to see if anyone else had this problem. Very frustrating for this to even be an issue, especially on a new car.

I tried to photograph it without much luck, but you can kind of see it here:

qsl9ux.jpg

Excuse the dirtyness, I know she needs a bath :P

As you can see, mine doesn't have the rubber protector thing so that's obviously not to blame.

From everyone else's responses, it looks like I might be better off to just accept it and live with parts of my new car looking as if it's melting anytime it gets hot out here than trying to get my dealer to do anything about it...

So it's 105 degrees today in Los Angeles and I just noticed my bumper doing the same thing :(

I actually came on here just to see if anyone else had this problem. Very frustrating for this to even be an issue, especially on a new car.

I tried to photograph it without much luck, but you can kind of see it here:

qsl9ux.jpg

Excuse the dirtyness, I know she needs a bath :P

As you can see, mine doesn't have the rubber protector thing so that's obviously not to blame.

From everyone else's responses, it looks like I might be better off to just accept it and live with parts of my new car looking as if it's melting anytime it gets hot out here than trying to get my dealer to do anything about it...

Well mine bulge in the same places exactly as yours. If you read my posting, I mentioned before, my dealer agree to replace it with new one. It is not the fit problem, it is poor quality plastic, so even when they replace it, it is still could do the same thing. So I decided not even bother. I have bumpers being replaced on some other vehicle before and I know that it will come from manufacture unpainted. It is a good possibility that paint will eventually starting to peel off specially where was masking tape used. My sugestion leave it alone unless you trust Ford's body shops.

Thanks for the advice krishtall, I was thinking the same thing unfortunately :( I also don't trust that they'll match the metallic black paint exactly either! So I'll just live with it.

I only saw it happen that day while I was out and about, and then the next day at work when it was 115+ degrees here in LA.

Luckily the rest of the time my Edge is parked in my little garage out of the sun so it popped back into shape by the next morning.

Also, my dog already managed to scratch that top part of the rear bumper anyway the first time she hopped in for a ride in the new car, so I'm not particularly concerned with that area anyway :rolleyes:

I guess I could always call them up for a replacement if it ever does start to bother me or get any worse.

Out of curiosity, does this happen on model years other than 2010??

Well mine bulge in the same places exactly as yours. If you read my posting, I mentioned before, my dealer agree to replace it with new one. It is not the fit problem, it is poor quality plastic, so even when they replace it, it is still could do the same thing. So I decided not even bother. I have bumpers being replaced on some other vehicle before and I know that it will come from manufacture unpainted. It is a good possibility that paint will eventually starting to peel off specially where was masking tape used. My sugestion leave it alone unless you trust Ford's body shops.

Thanks for the advice krishtall, I was thinking the same thing unfortunately :( I also don't trust that they'll match the metallic black paint exactly either! So I'll just live with it.

I only saw it happen that day while I was out and about, and then the next day at work when it was 115+ degrees here in LA.

Luckily the rest of the time my Edge is parked in my little garage out of the sun so it popped back into shape by the next morning.

Also, my dog already managed to scratch that top part of the rear bumper anyway the first time she hopped in for a ride in the new car, so I'm not particularly concerned with that area anyway :rolleyes:

I guess I could always call them up for a replacement if it ever does start to bother me or get any worse.

Out of curiosity, does this happen on model years other than 2010??

Hi chloe13

I think on all edges regardless of year rear bumper cover bulging at hot temperatures. I even saw that on Lincoln MKX due to almost same sheet metal and body parts. Even if you look 2011 model, you can see that only front fascia and interior got changed. So who knows maybe 2011 will do the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...